2012 competition vol. numbers... by Corps

I'd bet that Vanguard travels more than BD.

That is certainly the case for the beginning of the season this year. Vanguard has chosen to travel to New Mexico and Arizona for the two shows there during the first week, for a total of approximately 2,300 miles (an average of 1150 miles per show), before returning home for the string of California shows. Vanguard is somewhat unique in this regard as most of the West Coast corps opt to stay local/regional at the beginning of the season, and we simply have way fewer shows out here in the west during the first week. Many of the eastern and mid-western corps will have had 3-4 shows before our first show in Clovis.

Edited by Photographer Jim

That is certainly the case for the beginning of the season this year. Vanguard has chosen to travel to New Mexico and Arizona for the two shows there during the first week, for a total of approximately 2,300 miles (an average of 1150 miles per show), before returning home for the string of California shows. Vanguard is somewhat unique in this regard as most of the West Coast corps opt to stay local/regional at the beginning of the season, and we simply have way fewer shows out here in the west during the first week. Many of the eastern and mid-western corps will have had 3-4 shows before our first show in Clovis.

Boston's first show is also in Clovis. Between Clovis and Indy, Boston will take the field of competition in 33% more times than BD.

• Like 2

Boston's first show is also in Clovis. Between Clovis and Indy, Boston will take the field of competition in 33% more times than BD.

My comment was directed to the one saying Vanguard appears to travel more than BD. My comment about SCV's 2300 mile, two show trip during the first week just seemed relevant to that.

Since you brought up Boston, its interesting to note that the majority of difference in their show schedule comes during the first part of the season when BC is on their West Coast swing. Between the Clovis and Minneapolis shows, Boston will do 15 shows while the Devils will only do 9. This is largely due to Boston going north from the Bay Area into Oregon, Washington, and Idaho where they will do four shows, while BD goes south to do the two southern CA shows. Then, they meet up again in Utah, July 3rd. Boston takes a quick jog up to Casper before both corps arrive in Waukee. Boston then adds two more shows, one in IA and one in WI before Minneapolis. BD chose to go straight to Minneapolis. The remainder of the season is pretty much the same for both corps, with BD doing 15 and BAC doing 17, with 10 of the shows being in common.

The only thing this really shows me is that Boston is making good use of a long road trip. By going north, they are able to do a few more shows, thus getting more bang from their travel bucks. BD on the other hand has pretty much traditional obligations to the SoCal shows, so until they head east appear to have fewer show options early on.

Interestingly enough, Phantom will also be doing a west coast swing, but they chose to do three shows on their way out to Clovis, also added in the Casper show, but from Minneapolis on have about the same amount of shows as the other two.

Edited by Photographer Jim

Anyone willing to calculate approximate mileage for each corps?

Sounds like a task that I do not have the time or patience for w00t.gif

No thank you! :shutup:

I'd think DCI would have compiled some stats regarding corps travel over the years. I'd be interested in knowing the numbers .... but then again, I am a tad bit bent!

Anyone willing to calculate approximate mileage for each corps?

Sure..... but would you be willing to paint my house in exchange ?

Edited by BRASSO

I was really surprised when I saw how few shows BD was doing this year. I pulled up their schedule, and it looks like they may have one more contest than the number showed here. It also looks like several times they have 3-4 rehearsal days in a row. I can see where this could give them a competitive advantage with more rehearsal time. But it also kind of a shame that they don't have more shows so that more fans can see them. But overall those numbers are quite interesting.

If this is your house, then sure!

jeffs-tiny-house-450x337.jpg

Lol !... good one.

I was really surprised when I saw how few shows BD was doing this year. I pulled up their schedule, and it looks like they may have one more contest than the number showed here. It also looks like several times they have 3-4 rehearsal days in a row. I can see where this could give them a competitive advantage with more rehearsal time. But it also kind of a shame that they don't have more shows so that more fans can see them. But overall those numbers are quite interesting.

More rehearsal or more critics from the judges. Both have their own advantages. Which is better?