Average age for corps

It's one of the many changes in the world in general that has infiltrated the drum corps world too. Albert Pujols is playing for the Angels instead of the Cardinals this year (if you can call a .190 average "playing"). Drum corps has its "free agents" too. They tend to be older and more experienced. They tend to be better players and marchers. And they tend toward the corps where the "talent" think it has the chance to win.

HH

Speaking of Major League Basaball and DCI, since 1990 there has been 7 different Corps that have won DCI, and 14 different teams that have won a World Series in the similar timeframe.. When we think of Major League baseball we sometimes hear that there is little parity and that the same teams win all the time. But in reality, Major League Baseball has twice as much parity as does DCI, even though there are 30% more Major League baseball teams ( 30 ) than World Class Division Corps (23 ). Just a perhaps interesting stat to throw out there as we wait and count down the days to our 1st show.

Edited by BRASSO

It's one of the many changes in the world in general that has infiltrated the drum corps world too. Albert Pujols is playing for the Angels instead of the Cardinals this year (if you can call a .190 average "playing"). Drum corps has its "free agents" too. They tend to be older and more experienced. They tend to be better players and marchers. And they tend toward the corps where the "talent" think it has the chance to win.

Age is ancillary, if you ask me in this alleged correlation to success. Maturity is the difference. Maturity in music. Maturity in marching. Marturity in attitude. Maturity in ambition. Maturity is the essential ingredient in much of their success. Age often correlates in maturity and success. Sometimes it doesn't.

HH

Glory, I agree with 95% of your postings here on DCP. Having said that, I must strenously disagree with one comment above....that is the reference to "maturity in ambition". Since you are frequently one of the voices of reason here in our little Shangra-La, I'm going to assume that this simply came out wrong.

I don't for a second dispute that "ambition" is important for corps members; however, I believe it disingenuous to suggest that corps-hopping or ring-chasing is necessarily a sign of ambition. For my money, there is much to be said for the perserverence one exhibits in the pursuit of making their corps better. At the end of the day, which path seems more "ambitious"? Knowing you can walk into a "Cadeveliers" and have a 33% chance of getting a ring and a 75% chance of medaling? Or staying with you current 6th-12th corps (for example) and helping THAT organization build into greatness?

Ambition is, of course, laudible. So is perseverance. And delayed gratification.

Craig

• Like 1

Speaking of Major League Basaball and DCI, since 1990 there has been 7 different Corps that have won DCI, and 14 different teams that have won a World Series in the similar timeframe.. When we think of Major League baseball we sometimes hear that there is little parity and that the same teams win all the time. But in reality, Major League Baseball has twice as much parity as does DCI, even though there are 30% more Major League baseball teams ( 30 ) than World Class Division Corps (23 ). Just a perhaps interesting stat to throw out there as we wait and count down the days to our 1st show.

twice as much of not much is still not much.

as long as those with more money can spend it, there will never be parity.

DCI is a lot like European soccer in this regard.

Glory, I agree with 95% of your postings here on DCP. Having said that, I must strenously disagree with one comment above....that is the reference to "maturity in ambition". Since you are frequently one of the voices of reason here in our little Shangra-La, I'm going to assume that this simply came out wrong...

In saying "maturity in ambition" I certainly didn't mean "maturity" as a judgment on positive values. What I meant was some members aren't satisfied by "the" experience alone so their ambition seeks out more rewards. Where a less mature marcher might be satisfied with a level of performance that exceeds his high school and college band experience, a more mature marcher might have greater ambitions.

But I agree 100% with your assessment. Where I can't agree is in agreeing with me so much. Be more careful in the future!

HH

I actually think corps releasing average age as well as average years of corps experience would be great....at least for stat nerds like me. I think its safe to assume that these stats can draw a direct correlation to overall success....but it would be interesting to look at trends in how many age outs leave in a given year, and how much experience a corps (especially a rising corps like for example the Academy) gain while measuring their overall success over a period of time....one of many variables to work with.

• Like 1

No, standard deviation is s-squared

Ok.. ' glad I got that squared away now.

Edited by BRASSO

I knew the 32 hrs of graduate-level statistics classes I took would come in useful someday...

'I'm working myself up to a Graduate Degree at the Institute for Advanced Drum Corps Studies here at the Univ. of DC Planet. It involves correspondence courses, average computer literacy skills, keen eyesight, good typing skills. There is no commute, and you can't beat the price. ( but theres no frat parties, protest marches, football, streaking, etc. though either).

Edited by BRASSO