Last years championship week

I have to say overall, last year was probably one of my favorite finals weeks ever. I really liked the way they set up quarterfinals so that every corps in Indianapolis could compete, regardless of Open Class/World Class status. I thought this was definitely a step in the right direction. I loved years in the past when they would have the top 5 DII/III corps at quarterfinals, but liked it even better with all corps competing that day. Last year on Thursday, was probably one of my favorite days ever, just too bad there aren't more active corps to perform on that day.

My wife and I didn't attend the parade though. I am kind of split on having the parade. On the one hand, it is kind of nice that the corps get to perform one last time as a unit. On the other hand, there is the extra expense for the corps for 1 or 2 days more if they don't make finals or semis. The main reason we didn't attend, is after quarterfinals and semifinals having so many corps performing, we were just plain exhausted, and that becomes a lot for my wife to sit through, as much as she loves it. I have to admit I was plain exhausted by Saturday night as well. I also heard many complaints from some members of different corps that they didn't want to perform in the parade, which I can certainly understand.

So what was your opinion of finals week last year? Did you like the quarterfinals with every corps performing? Did you like the parade? If you were a member who marched in the parade, were you excited by it, or annoyed that you had to stay another day or 2 after missing finals? Also curious as to what the staff thought about last years finals week.

Were all corps required by DCI to march in the parade if they didn't make finals, or was it optional? And were all the corps strict on making all members participate? I don't remember seeing much discussed about this last year.

• Like 2

I spent two days in Indy last year and will be there all week this year. The parade was a really wonderful event. From what I understand the Crossmen were the most upset about having to be in the parade because DCI made it mandantory. They too lithe parade and just used as a vehicle for their frustration. It was very cool however to have them break rank, come to the curb and have 3 trumpet players 2 feet from me just wail. I could die right then and me happy. Colts did this as well. The mass battle hymn at te end was great and was amazing to see about 30 corps perform it. I will definitely be attending the parade this year and every year DCI holds it there after.

I remember talking to some staff as well that we're not too pleased about having to give up the members rest day to do this parade. As far as I'm concerned though they were back by 1 with plenty of time to relax and hit finals that night. The audience loved it and so did the other non-corps groups I te parade. It was probably just first year bitterness.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed prelims because I have tickets for it this year. 14 hours of drum corps sounds like an unmatched heaven. Mind you this all caps off a ten day road trip for me starting with the eastern classic.

I performed in the parade... It was kinda weird. We all had the idea of having our last performance as a unit on the field... But nope... Parade.

• Like 2

I performed in the parade... It was kinda weird. We all had the idea of having our last performance as a unit on the field... But nope... Parade.

My experience is not really on topic as I never marched in the DCI era. But, when I did march, our last event was a parade the day following the California State Open championships. And yes, it was weird then too.

The kids actually call it the "Losers Parade".

• Like 3

^^^^ I'm sorry to hear that. After a year of learning, rehearsing and performing, and the quality of the final product compared to auditions, if anyone feels like a loser on Saturday of finals week...well, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Garry in Vegss

• Like 4

I liked the format. Nothing like a binge day of drum corps. I just need to bring one of those stadium pads to sit on this year.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a parade. Years ago DCI had a parade portion and I know the World Open had a parade. I can see where the corps that have to march may feel it's a let down, but for fans, I've been told it's a great event and something I'm looking forward to attending this year. It would be great of the Top 12 appeared in the parade, and perhaps some do,but I alos understand finals is probably nerve-wracking enough without adding an another requirement.

Edited by Tim K

Didn't make it to the parade - as other posters wrote - I too was exhausted and hungry. Can't afford enough stadium food to feed myself properly :w00t:

Last year, I took the time to do the behind the scenes and onfield tour. Had to wait in line over an hour in the heat, but it was a great experience to go thru the corridors into the warmup area and thru the tunnel into the stadium. I haven't been on many professional football stadium fields. Didn't get to participate in drum corps when I was younger, so this was a real thrill. Looking up into the stands, I could imagine what it must be like to give the show of your life and see the crowd on their feet cheering. It must be an awesome feeling, just like being in the field was equally thrilling for me. If you have a chance, and have not been on a professsional football field and DCI does the tour again, I recommend doing it. Even if you have physical limitations, the walk in is easy and they will accomodate you to get you back outside the stadium (the rest of us had to climb steps back into the stands and out to the souvie section to wait for the gates to open (no going to your seats early).

As for the rest of the Finals experience - I had a great time! And, eventhough it cost extra money, I am looking forward to this year's Reunion events and the chance to go back onfield again.

Edited by rkfdPRphan