Last years championship week

An a.m. parade in the downtown of a large city, during the work week? I don't see why not.

They do it all the time for overpaid, under educated, arrogant athletes when they win a championship. And then they get invited to the White House. At least this parade would be entertaining, and no one would have to watch Brian Scalabrine try to dance.

• Like 1

one of the reasons the parade is held on Saturday is because many folks aren't in town yet Wednesday morning. Plus, I don't remember Indy having a public transportation system on par with NYC or other cities with a subway, so I'd imagine that would make for a huge mess for commuters

...and no one would have to watch Brian Scalabrine try to dance.

I just got sshhhhed in the library because I literally laughed out loud!

I spent two days in Indy last year and will be there all week this year. The parade was a really wonderful event. From what I understand the Crossmen were the most upset about having to be in the parade because DCI made it mandantory. They too lithe parade and just used as a vehicle for their frustration. It was very cool however to have them break rank, come to the curb and have 3 trumpet players 2 feet from me just wail. I could die right then and me happy. Colts did this as well. The mass battle hymn at te end was great and was amazing to see about 30 corps perform it. I will definitely be attending the parade this year and every year DCI holds it there after.

Most kids in DCI don't like parades. I'm sure this not a new phenomenon. Additionally, lots of corps break ranks in parades when they have the chance to turn to the side and play.

And lastly, if you have the rankings of upset-ness of all the corps in the parade, please consider posting them so we can all see! thanks.

The Crossmen were probably more upset that they were a great corps in 17th place, who improved a GREAT deal over the previous season, and moved no where placement wise.

And they probably didn't want to do a parade either.

I understood the purpose of parades... but they were a pain in the ###.

And in all the parades I was in with the Crossmen, we turned to the side numerous times to play something. We were usually behind Crown too... and they really know how to have fun in a parade. Crown might just be mocking the parade though...

Parades are great for the audience... a pain in the ### for corps... but can also be a money maker (are the corps in the Saturday parade being compensated for the performance from DCI??? I surely hope so)

And the parade in Indy is a great idea. Might have even sold a couple extra tickets for Finals...

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

And the parade in Indy is a great idea. Might have even sold a couple extra tickets for Finals...

Agree. Any exposure to an audience that might be unfamiliar with Drum Corps, or what is going on in the City of Indy that week, can only be seen as a good thing for the activity, imo.

• Like 1

The Friends of DCI had a great gig last year. A breakfast, buffet, and tables to sit outside around a fountain. We were positioned for the beginning of the parade and, with a short walk, saw the end, too. Plus, the breakfast food was great and the hob-knobbing with other Friends was fun.

Don't forget about the mass stand-still after the parade, led by Troopers, in the "bowl" below the statues. They played, what, Battle Hymm, wasn't it. Even Bb's produce enough sound when there's five hundred of them.

We also walked the warm up are for quite a while. One problem here: Although they have a great shuttle (tour) bus to get you to and from the warm ups, if you stayed for one corp's warmup you'd miss two others on the field and, likely, you'd miss the corps you were watching warm up. The logistics don't work if you want to market the Lot in addition to the show.

Many good times in Indy, even with my 12 year old.

We did a parade once when we all swapped instruments.

I was a decent vibe player but that day I was the worst/best baritone player ever!