No Beer at DCA Prelims & Finals

and if no beer sold...big ####### deal. May actually help audience behavior, which I remember having some complaints about in Scranton.

Heres the thing Jeff.

I have to live 24/7 as a responsible adult in my community. Im stereotyped as Chaz and Julias dad by many. I am Mr. Mason the respected business man in my community. I suspect many of my drum corps brothers and sisters of legal drinking age fall into that same stereotype and use drum corps as a avenue of escape or relaxation away from it.

I live and breath drum corps not only for the entertainment it provides me but also to get away from being stereotyped like that. When I go on the drum corps trips I wanna be "ED" and be able to let my hair down and enjoy the weekend. If that means I like to get a little three sheets to the wind so be it.

I think the city of Rochester and the hosts get that as people are pretty much left on their own to act accordingly and responsibly without interference. Ive not seen any major violations of fall down drunken behavior at the public venues. Most of the time when someone gets a little too happy its usually handled respectfully and accordingly.

Ive had bigger issues with the popcorn eaters and "band" moms running their mouth in the stands than the experienced drum corps "drunken fans"

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 5

Heres the thing Jeff.

I have to live 24/7 as a responsible adult in my community. Im stereotyped as Chaz and Julias dad by many. I am Mr. Mason the respected business man in my community. I suspect many of my drum corps brothers and sisters of legal drinking age fall into that same stereotype and use drum corps as a avenue of escape or relaxation away from it.

I live and breath drum corps not only for the entertainment it provides me but also to get away from being stereotyped like that. When I go on the drum corps trips I wanna be "ED" and be able to let my hair down and enjoy the weekend. If that means I like to get a little three sheets to the wind so be it.

I think the city of Rochester and the hosts get that as people are pretty much left on their own to act accordingly and responsibly without interference. Ive not seen any major violations of fall down drunken behavior at the public venues. Most of the time when someone gets a little too happy its usually handled respectfully and accordingly.

Ive had bigger issues with the popcorn eaters and "band" moms running their mouth in the stands than the experienced drum corps "drunken fans"

I completely agree with this... I definitely become "Buffy" at drum corps, not Mr. Buffenmyer.

As for no beer? Oh well, I'll be there!

• Like 3

Heres the thing Jeff.

then you never had seats by the entrance ways to the concessions area in Scranton, or Syracuse for that matter. And God, back when Scranton let people hang out along the railing......and with Annapolis having the walkway be open to the top rows of seats, I can guarantee you it may cause a problem or 4.

yes common courtesy can't be policed, and not it's not all beers fault. But trust me Ed, I've been to enough DCA events where beer has brought out the inner ######## in more than enough people. And if DCA is trying to draw a younger audience base, and more family oriented one with that. You have to take these things into consideration. Annapolis will probably have a more "bando" feel than say Rochester does, and you will want to take that under consideration.

If this is even true.

I've been to DCA and not had a drop, I've been to DCA and had several. Didn't change my enjoyment one bit. In fact, in 2004 at Scratnon, when I came to my seat for finals with a beer in my hand. the older couple next to us in their 70's started complaining loudly that I had a beer...fearing I'd be plowed by the end of the night.

So, when 6 corps later, I got up for beer #2, I made sure to let them know that this was only beer #2, and they had nothing to worry about. They apologized, stating because of things they had to deal with in prior years, they were afraid I was just going to be another "drunk DCA fan".

if someone is going to let no beer sales ( if true) affect their attendance, they have issues far beyond what we can address on here.

Agree.

And I also think the OP is a troll.

• Like 1

But Scotch is still okay.......right? :lookaround:

• Like 1

Agree.

Well Fran, since neither you nor I are going to contribute much in the way of beer sales anyway, this really isn't a big deal.

I am disappointed, however, in that I paid good money for the breathalyzer concession at both prelims and finals.

Agree.

Well at least it reminded me to check the status of Wild Goose Brewery that my bro-in-law worked at in the Cambridge/Easton area a couple of his kids ago. He left when they sold out but at least we got a nice tour.....

Well Fran, since neither you nor I are going to contribute much in the way of beer sales anyway, this really isn't a big deal.

I am disappointed, however, in that I paid good money for the breathalyzer concession at both prelims and finals.

That's up there with my investment in that "Typewriters: Technology of the Future" venture 25 years ago. :tongue:

That's up there with my investment in that "Typewriters: Technology of the Future" venture 25 years ago. :tongue:

From the fan guide pdf on the Naval Academy stadium website (it is from 2010, but it is the one that comes up on the link):

Alcohol

Alcohol is not permitted inside Navy-Marine Corps Memorial

Stadium. Alcohol is, however, allowed in parking lots and

tailgating areas. Consumption of alcohol by underage drinkers

will not be tolerated.

Fan Guide 2010

then you never had seats by the entrance ways to the concessions area in Scranton, or Syracuse for that matter. And God, back when Scranton let people hang out along the railing......and with Annapolis having the walkway be open to the top rows of seats, I can guarantee you it may cause a problem or 4.

yes common courtesy can't be policed, and not it's not all beers fault. But trust me Ed, I've been to enough DCA events where beer has brought out the inner ######## in more than enough people. And if DCA is trying to draw a younger audience base, and more family oriented one with that. You have to take these things into consideration. Annapolis will probably have a more "bando" feel than say Rochester does, and you will want to take that under consideration.

If this is even true.

I've been to DCA and not had a drop, I've been to DCA and had several. Didn't change my enjoyment one bit. In fact, in 2004 at Scratnon, when I came to my seat for finals with a beer in my hand. the older couple next to us in their 70's started complaining loudly that I had a beer...fearing I'd be plowed by the end of the night.

So, when 6 corps later, I got up for beer #2, I made sure to let them know that this was only beer #2, and they had nothing to worry about. They apologized, stating because of things they had to deal with in prior years, they were afraid I was just going to be another "drunk DCA fan".

With all due respect Jeff, IMHO most of the issues in Scranton came from where the staff viewing area was located-I know, because I was two rows directly in front of them. I am quite certain that in some instances, beer was certainly involved but most staff don't hang around inside the stadium prior to their corps taking the field, so whether it is sold at the stadium is probably a moot point. There are likely just as many instances where it was just staff being over-zealous staff, and as many where the staffs were respectful of those who had paid for the privilege of deciding whether or not they enjoyed the performance. I have enjoyed the occasional beer at DCA "just because I could" but had there not been beer available it wouldn't have played into my decision whether or not to attend.

MikeD, you quoted the alcohol policy of the stadium but my interpretation of that would be bringing in alcohol on your own, not purchase inside the stadium. Most stadiums or major concert venues have a nearly identical policy. This is to increase their profits on the beer concessions inside the venue-many also prohibit bringing food into the stadium, but they will happily overcharge you for theirs. A lot of these policies are also subject to the whims of the gate personnel. At DCI in Foxboro, the stadium gestapo refused entrance to a guy in front of me carrying a candy bar on his person, but this year at Lucas Oil Stadium it was not unusual to see outside food and beverages in the stands and there were no "bag checks" or pat downs being conducted as we entered the stadium each day-through the main entrance.

• Like 1