Top 10 Percussion Moments

Star of Indiana 1993 - What part of this show wouldn't make someone's top list of percussion moments?

Pretty much every moment would NOT make my top list except for one, but what a grand, glorious moment it is: The Roll.

To be fair, this opinion is coming from someone a bit older than most on this board.

I'm not a percussionist and quite honestly, when watching a show, I think most of what percussionists tune into is directed to them and not the general audience. I'll leave the percussion fans to understand those nuances. I do understand the expertise and the writing portion, but I don't have any personal expertise to critic what I am seeing. From this amateur, a lot sounds very good.

That being said, my favourite percussion moments came from SCV '81. IMO, this is when percussion became art. This is when I started to pay attention to the subtlety and intricacy of the percussion section.

SCV '81 was the start of the era when the percussion part of Drum Corps was written for the "musician" not just the percussionist.

Edited by LincolnV

My Post 1983 DCI knowledge - No Particular Order

1. 1986 Blue Devils - Channel One Suite Drum Feature to End - Clean, Meaty and Bad###
  2. 1991 Santa Clara Vanguard - The Accelerando with the Battery at end to the brilliant helicopter effects from one side of the field to the other. Getting goosebumps just writing about it
  3. 1995 Cavaliers - Mercury, what mixture of strong drumming and subtly. Great writing and execution leading to their 2nd Championship
  4. 2004 Santa Clara Vanguard - What can you say, another Casella classic and well executed by the line, Drum feature to the end, awesome!
  5. 1993 Star of Indiana - It takes listening to the original work of Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta" to truly appreciate what Thom Hannum and this talented drumline pulled off with the drum feature and accelarando portion of the show.
  6. 2008 Phantom Regiment - Clean, Dramatic, Amazing. Well balanced. Opener and Drum Feature
  7. 1994 Blue Devils - This show brought back BD to prominence and has not looked back since. Day Danse brought together creative writing and power with culmination of bringing people to their feet at the end of Day Danse. The "Monkey Drumming" or high sticking emulated by many.
  8. 1987 Cadets - Thomm Hannum & Company took what Mr Hardimon started in 1984 with SCV and achieved a perfect score.
  9. 1983 Bridgemen - "Black Market Juggler" blindfolded, enough said
  10. 2005 Cadets - Underrated or undermentioned - What they pulled off in the ballad was simply amazing going in and out double strokes to single strokes, double the tempo of the brass section. Takes listening to the judges tape to truly appreciate it.

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 2

Jeffe. I agree with every one of your picks.

Any of the Aungst years with the Cadets could be mentioned, but 2003 is my favorite of that stretch of time. My favorite is Black Market Juggler, though. Killer piece. The BD Train accelerando in 2004 was pretty cool, too.

My memory may be fading, but didn't the Oakland Crusaders do something with tennis balls?

double post = video unavailable at this time

Edited by xbones7480