For Once.....

Then how do you explain Suncoast being right in there with them also? Granted, Suncoast STARTED weak as well but once they caught some momentum they were right there with Cadets and Spirit. Nah....I say Cadets started slow.

yeah with that show, I'm sure it took a while

SCV 1997 was ALMOST that story. It's hard to find data from that long ago, but I think they started off the year 11 points or so behind BD. I remember some of the vets from that year telling me that, early on, there was a real scare among their members that they might be the first Santa Clara corps to not make finals. But they fought hard and ended up being tied for first place with BD in quarterfinals. Of course they ended up placing 3rd at finals, but what a ride that young corps had.

...I'd like to see a corps start out slow and throughout the season get better and beat corps until the night of finals they win it all!

I don't believe since the inception of DCI this has happened. I guess it came close with Madison in 1976(?).

I dont think we can really compare the current DCI to the past drum corps in this regard.

Back when it was "latin jazz song, stop. Other latin jazz song, stop. Drum solo, stop, latin jazz closer, stop", overcoming large gaps simply with better execution was possible.

In the current incarnation of drum corps, its a lot harder to recover from a bad design or from a design thats not intended to win in the first place. In other words, A corps that knows they are going to place in a certain range stays very self aware, and design a program appropriate for their program, and no matter how well its performed, the criteria alone would keep it from the top of the pack. Or if a design team simply "Sh**s the bed" on their design effort, they can tweak all day and night and make it BETTER, but still not enough to climb from 11th, to 8th, to 5th, to 1st.

• Like 1

You would be very.....very.....VERY....VERY.......VERY.....VERY....................................................INCORRECT!!!!!

In 1987, the Garfield Cadets started out below Spirit Of Atlanta (who placed 10th that year) and.......they ended up WINNING. Want to see an example? Here is an early show where Spirit of Atlanta THREE POINTED them.

Sunday June 28, 1987

West Chester PADCEPositionCorpsScore

1Spirit of Atlanta 77.000

2Garfield Cadets 74.900

3Suncoast Sound 70.300

4Dutch Boy 63.400

5Florida Wave 62.200

6Crossmen 53.600

7Malden Diplomats 47.200

8St. Francis Xavier Sancians 39.800

And then even as late as July 7th, Spirit was still beating them with Suncoast Sound trailing them...

Tuesday July 7, 1987

Orlando FLDCEPositionCorpsScore

1Spirit of Atlanta 80.100

2Garfield Cadets 79.900

3Suncoast Sound 76.300

4Florida Wave 65.600

5Crossmen 57.400

And THEN....even once the Cadets DID finally pull ahead of them....only a FEW DAYS BEFORE FINALS...Spirit was STILL trailing the Cadets...

Sunday August 9, 1987

Ankeny IADCIPositionCorpsScore

1Garfield Cadets 91.600

2Spirit of Atlanta 90.500

3Sky Ryders 84.700

4Dutch Boy 79.500

5Colts 74.800

6Marauders 74.400

And then for the final results...

Saturday August 15, 1987

Madison WIDCI World ChampionshipsSTADIUM: Camp Randall Stadium - University of WisconsinDCIPositionCorpsScore

1Garfield Cadets 97.900

2Santa Clara Vanguard 97.800

3Cavaliers 94.700

4Blue Devils 94.400

5Phantom Regiment 94.300

6Madison Scouts 90.400

7Star of Indiana 90.000

7Velvet Knights 90.000

9Suncoast Sound 88.800

10Spirit of Atlanta 87.600

11Bluecoats 85.700

12Sky Ryders 81.900

I don't know what you consider "starting out slow"...but to start the seaon in the area of 10th place and then win it all, I'd say that is pretty remarkable. You can go to the following link for more examples.... http://corpsreps.com...orpstype=Junior

Accept the score from July 7th is wrong. According to Fromthepressbox, Boston scored the 79.9 to SOA's 80.1 on July 7th in Orlando. Also, other than the early season show on June 28th, where else did SOA beat the Cadets that summer? By the way, they must have an off night brass show that evening. Florida Wave beat them by almost a point in brass GE.

Mmm...Yes...

Whether the '87 Cadets had a slow start is a very serious, legitimate, and important topic of discussion.

• Like 1

I feel like the only time this happens is when a corps has a fan favorite show that the judges will nudge up. Ie- Phantom 08, Cadets 11*.

Great shows, great performances, but I believe there was better execution by other corps those years.

Edited by TheClutch
  • Like 1

1988 Madison Scouts finished 4th at DCM championships and won in August.

I have no words for this, that won't anger the Madison Trolls that crawl out of the woodwork and make you sound like a member of Al Queda for suggesting anything bad about MS.

But, food for thought, DCI never used that finals format again after 1988, with due reason.

• Like 6