US Open Memories

My first was in 1972....got to finally see Blue Rock as they came to the field in this tight block. Loved it when they played Baby Elephant Walk and Camptown Races. Madison Scouts, Racine Explorer Scouts, St.Pat's Imperials, etc

Was it 1973 with the rain out?

I went to Open class prelims with some older guys in 1972. Had a pancake breakfast at Marion Cadet Hall and then the entire day at the stadium. Wow those were great times!

Yes, '73 was the deluge at night finals. Something like 3 inches of rain in one hour. The water was almost ankle deep outside the stadium. Blue Rock's plumes ran onto their jackets, so they had to appear in the re-scheduled finals the next day wearing U.S. Open t-shirts.

I still have a reel-to-reel audio recording of the rained-out finals, when, in the middle of Blue Rock's closer, p.a. announcer Tom Judd tells everybody to "Keep your #### ticket stubs!"

I competed there 1970-1973. It certainly was a great showcase for drum corps on the incredibly flat stage of western Ohio.

I remember being dazzled by the finals performance of the St. Paul's Scouts...very bold huge drill moves with wheels and a fast moving, exciting show which was daring and crowd -oriented with a great horn-line sound.

Only one year did my corps make finals so I usually had the opportunity to check out other corps' rehearsals before finals. I remember being awe-stuck by the intensity and focus of the Anaheim Kingsmen in 1972 (one week prior to winning the first DCI championship) . Three times non-stop through their show full-tilt (company front back to the starting line for an instant re-set!) on a wilting hot afternoon. Was I surprised when they won the championship-not!

Argonne Rebels in semi-circle (not sure which year)...I had never heard this type of horn-line sound with all the harmonies and counter-melodic lines sparkling! What an aural display!!

It certainly made me excited to be part of this great thing called drum corps!

Edited by Geneva

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 88.150

2 27th Lancers 85.000

3 Blue Rock 80.600

4 Kilties 80.100

5 Bridgemen 79.400

6 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.750

7 Garfield Cadets 75.600

8 Bleu Raeders 74.800

9 DeLaSalle Oaklands 73.650

10 Blessed Sacrament 71.500

11 Racine Scouts 67.650

12 Purple Lancers 64.600

Were St. Patrick's Imperials in exhibition? I remember seeing them. Also Racone Scouts flipped cymbals over the brass line at the end of the show.

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 88.150

2 27th Lancers 85.000

3 Blue Rock 80.600

4 Kilties 80.100

5 Bridgemen 79.400

6 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.750

7 Garfield Cadets 75.600

8 Bleu Raeders 74.800

9 DeLaSalle Oaklands 73.650

10 Blessed Sacrament 71.500

11 Racine Scouts 67.650

12 Purple Lancers 64.600

The 72 US Open was I think the best show the ST. Andrews Bridgemen ever put on. I can remember the lights wen out as we were lining up on the starting line. Our DM called us to attention and when the lights finally came back on the crowd went crazy. The horn line was on fire and we came in 2nd or 3rd in horns that night.

Me too!

I remember walking around the Garfield members when they were done. I was in awe back then.

Yeah, Leo, I always think that the crowd reaction for the '72 U.S. Open Bridgemen performance is one of the greatest I've EVER been a part of.

(Of course I helped contribute to it.):smile: