An idea struck me today that I think might alter a few shows in future years. Here goes.

There are literally thousands of radio stations across the country that play Top 40 music. Therefore, there are millions of people that listen to these radio stations, and many people listen so much that they know the songs by heart.

Corps are always trying to play music that is recognizable, and also catchy enough that it stays in your head for an annoyingly long amount of time.

Why don't corps incorporate some Top 40 songs into their scores? People know the songs, and they are always singing these songs, so that proves that the music is catchy (And if you're like me, thanks to some "fangirls," these songs are stuck in your head for weeks).

In my mind, this is the perfect idea for a show by any corps. Does anyone else feel the same?

The day Foster the People shows up in DCI I'm going to kill 400 people in 16 states.

• Like 8

Two words: sync rights.

• Like 4

Two words: sync rights.

:withstupid:

• Like 1

Because that's what high school and college marching band are for. If you really tried to break down Top 40 music, you would be appalled at a.) the simplicity, and b.) how repetitive it is. It would not translate at all to the drum corps field.

Just my thoughts of course.

• Like 3

Because that's what high school and college marching band are for. If you really tried to break down Top 40 music, you would be appalled at a.) the simplicity, and b.) how repetitive it is. It would not translate at all to the drum corps field.

A decent arranger could make the necessary tweaks.

• Like 1

In addition to all the good objections already raised is this "evergreen" issue in the marching band world:

The cool police already have charged us with being uncool. Why would we play less cool versions of their favorites and give them more cause to convict us on the geek count?

I don't ordinarily think we should make our decisions based on our worst critics' sensibilities. In this case, however, I think we'd be condeming ourselves to high school purgatory.

One time at band camp ...

HH