Two words: sync rights.

The sync rights are the responsibility of DCI when the content is published (either online or physical media) ... that's why parts of the shows last season were edited out ... because DCI did not want to pay for these rights.

It is relatively easy to get performance rights (depending on the artist of course).

Teal Sound did it very successfully in 2009 and 2010. 2009 in particular featured Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Christina Agulara, and Coldplay.

But if I remember from that show, the songs weren't that long for each part. I think if someone tried to directly translate a modern Top 40 song, all 3.5 minutes of it to a drum corps field, they would probably find it wouldn't work. Just my thoughts, from someone who's been forced to play top 40 songs in college band shows. Also depends on your views on modern pop music, which I can't stand (Party Rock is not legitimate music)

BTW, I think Teal did a great job with the Coheed and Cambria stuff.

• Like 1

A decent arranger could make the necessary tweaks.

Agreed. And is doesn't necessarily have to all be Top 40, they could work it in with some other music.

Yes, after thought, the idea of an all- Top 40 show is unbearable. :doh:

Agreed. And is doesn't necessarily have to all be Top 40, they could work it in with some other music.

Yes, after thought, the idea of an all- Top 40 show is unbearable. :doh:

Yeah.... the Current Top 40 doesn't make me think drum corps.

here is the current (as of this week) Top 100 songs in the country. Feel free to peruse and see how many of them could translate well on the field.

Billboard Top 100

Yeah.... the Current Top 40 doesn't make me think drum corps.

here is the current (as of this week) Top 100 songs in the country. Feel free to peruse and see how many of them could translate well on the field.

Billboard Top 100

Point taken

Point taken

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem snarky with that response. It's an interesting concept, in order to be more appealing to the mass audience, but as a member of a college marching band forced to perform Top 40 arrangements at football games, they're not fun.

If there was a good enough arranger, they might make it work, but it would be a long shot.

And the problem also lies with our audience. Most of the people who listen to the Top 40 songs on the radio, and are most of the buying audience are the same ones who go for hot dogs when the college band is performing an arrangement of the same song. Drum corps folks are a little bit different than your average 18-30 year old.

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem snarky with that response. It's an interesting concept, in order to be more appealing to the mass audience, but as a member of a college marching band forced to perform Top 40 arrangements at football games, they're not fun.

If there was a good enough arranger, they might make it work, but it would be a long shot.

And the problem also lies with our audience. Most of the people who listen to the Top 40 songs on the radio, and are most of the buying audience are the same ones who go for hot dogs when the college band is performing an arrangement of the same song. Drum corps folks are a little bit different than your average 18-30 year old.

well i know some will feel the need to debate this and with some it wont matter BUT do you realise the OP is like 11 or 12 years old? Gotta cut some slack...lol..just a bit! although he seems to be extremely intellegent maybe more than many adults but 12 is 12.. :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

An idea struck me today that I think might alter a few shows in future years. Here goes.

There are literally thousands of radio stations across the country that play Top 40 music. Therefore, there are millions of people that listen to these radio stations, and many people listen so much that they know the songs by heart.

Corps are always trying to play music that is recognizable, and also catchy enough that it stays in your head for an annoyingly long amount of time.

Why don't corps incorporate some Top 40 songs into their scores? People know the songs, and they are always singing these songs, so that proves that the music is catchy (And if you're like me, thanks to some "fangirls," these songs are stuck in your head for weeks).

In my mind, this is the perfect idea for a show by any corps. Does anyone else feel the same?

If a corps comes out with a Justin Beiber show, I will personally deflate the tires of the car of the corps' program director.

• Like 6

If a corps comes out with a Justin Beiber show, I will personally deflate the tires of the car of the corps' program director.

I'll see your Beiber and raise you an Adele

• Like 3

Before you resort to vandalism, you may be missing an amazing opportunity. A Justin Beiber show could fill the stands with tween girls and ticket sales would go up. Some may be so enthralled with the activity they might join a drum corps. Hey there could be a resurgence of local corps since they'd be too young to join World Class or Open corps. The boys might join in too, because where tween girls are, tween boys follow, but tween girls quickly leave because girls are more mature at that age than boys so we might have a rebirth of the All Girls Corps. However, Justin Beiber may no longer do it. My twelve year old niece seems mesmerized by "One Direction," a British boy band created by Simon Cowell.

Not sure which corps could pull it off. Velvet Knights of yesteryear could have put a mop-haired kid with a horn in his hand playing "Baby, Baby, Baby," and may have gotten away with it. Madison and Cavies are drum corps answer to boy bands, but it would never happen. I suppose it would have to be Crown. They did a great job with "Rach Star," maybe it's not too late to scrap the plans for this year's show and do "Rach Star II:Teen Idol."

Edited by Tim K