the only way that show will fill the stands if Beiber himself is there

"BATHROOM BREAK"..... :tongue:

Actually a good topic, too bad my knowledge of current music stopped a loooong time ago.

But at least I got some of the Lady Gaga references on "Simpsons" last night.... :cool:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

One poster said that popular music is the domain of high school and college marching bands, but that's a generalization at best.

A point I did find interesting was the Boston Pops reference. I subscribe to the BSO and usually attend a Pops performance a few times a year. I agree that some, though not all, of the popular arrangements of the Fiedler years can sound dated today and the same holds true with the Williams years. The current Lockhart era arrangements are good, but they too will sound dated in the future. The same holds true for drum corps. People loved the Kilties 1975 version of "Beethoven's 5th/Roll Over Beethoven" at the time but it would never work today. Trooper's 1979 "Aquarius" though fun and part of one of my all time favorite shows, sounded dated when it was performed, especially when it is compared with other works in that show. Some popular works of yesterday could still work today. A few that come to mind would be Blue Devils "My Heart Belongs to Me," 27th's "Greatest Love of All" or North Star's "Sir Duke" (without the whipped cream pie).

As far as an argument as to whether Top 40 or popular music can work in drum corps, "My Heart Belongs to Me" was in the Blue Devil's 1979 show which was their third DCI victory. In more recent days, many believe that "Empire State of Mind" which was a Billboard chart topper is a potential beloved anthem for the corps. Popular music has and can be effective. However, the works have to be engaging, which brings me back to the Boston Pops. I once took my class of seventh graders to a school concert at Symphony Hall. The kids were able to ask questions that were answered by performers. One young man asked a violinist whether he enjoyed the symphony or Pops better (the Pops at the time was made up of all but the principals of the BSO). He diplomatically said it did not matter as long as the music was engaging. This may be the key. The music of a drum coprs has to impress judges and should be appreciated by the audience, but it also has to be engaging for those who perform it. You can tell when a corps is bored with its show, so my thought is that when a corps selects music, whether popular or not, the arrangement has to be challenging and engaging to perform.

...I once took my class of seventh graders to a school concert at Symphony Hall. The kids were able to ask questions that were answered by performers. One young man asked a violinist whether he enjoyed the symphony or Pops better (the Pops at the time was made up of all but the principals of the BSO). He diplomatically said it did not matter as long as the music was engaging. This may be the key. The music of a drum corps has to impress judges and should be appreciated by the audience, but it also has to be engaging for those who perform it. You can tell when a corps is bored with its show, so my thought is that when a corps selects music, whether popular or not, the arrangement has to be challenging and engaging to perform.

And for drum corps, it has to be engaging to listen to.

And for drum corps, it has to be engaging to listen to.

Boo...

I agree that it should be engaging to listen to, but many "successful" shows of the last decade were plenty forgettable from a music standpoint.

Boo...

I agree that it should be engaging to listen to, but many "successful" shows of the last decade were plenty forgettable from a music standpoint.

that trend has slowly been turning. let's see what the new sheets bring

...As far as an argument as to whether Top 40 or popular music can work in drum corps, "My Heart Belongs to Me" was in the Blue Devil's 1979 show which was their third DCI victory. In more recent days, many believe that "Empire State of Mind" which was a Billboard chart topper is a potential beloved anthem for the corps. Popular music has and can be effective. However, the works have to be engaging...

Right. But the criteria needs to be "engaging." Engaging and popular aren't necessarily the same.

From 1979, when BD was playing "My Heart," here's the Billboard Top 10:

1. My Sharona, The Knack

2. Bad Girls, Donna Summer

3. Le Freak, Chic

4. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?, Rod Stewart

5. Reunited, Peaches and Herb

6. I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor

7. Hot Stuff, Donna Summer

8. Y.M.C.A., Village People

9. "Ring My Bell", Anita Ward

10. Sad Eyes, Robert John

That's the measure of popularity. Which of those is engaging enough? Meanwhile, in 2009, ESOM wasn't in the top 50. While it was popular at No. 62, it's obvious that popularity isn't the best basis for choice (Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" was No. 1 for 2009).

I don't mean to sound as if I'm beating on TimK like some disco drum. I think he has a point. It just needs to be refined out of the realm of popular, which works better in marketing than music. Engaging works. It worked for ESOM and My Heart. It also worked for Hymnsong of Philip Bliss (Holsinger), The Lords Prayer (Miklos) and many more from less "popular" genres.

HH

Edited by glory

Right. But the criteria needs to be "engaging." Engaging and popular aren't necessarily the same.

From 1979, when BD was playing "My Heart," here's the Billboard Top 10:

1. My Sharona, The Knack

2. Bad Girls, Donna Summer

3. Le Freak, Chic

4. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?, Rod Stewart

5. Reunited, Peaches and Herb

6. I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor

7. Hot Stuff, Donna Summer

8. Y.M.C.A., Village People

9. "Ring My Bell", Anita Ward

10. Sad Eyes, Robert John

That's the measure of popularity. Which of those is engaging enough? Meanwhile, in 2009, ESOM wasn't in the top 50. While it was popular at No. 62, it's obvious that popularity isn't the best basis for choice (Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" was No. 1 for 2009).

I don't mean to sound as if I'm beating on TimK like some disco drum. I think he has a point. It just needs to be refined out of the realm of popular, which works better in marketing than music. Engaging works. It worked for ESOM and My Heart. It also worked for Hymnsong of Philip Bliss (Holsinger), The Lords Prayer (Miklos) and many more from less "popular" genres.

HH

My life would be complete if I heard Regiment include "My Sharona" in their show. :tongue:

• Like 2

LMFAO is the worst freecreditreport.com band ever. :tongue:

• Like 1