DCI Documentary

So I recently have discovered the awesome sight that is vimeo.com

For quite a while I thought it was just a less popular youtube, but its so much more than that! If you're not familiar with the site, its basically youtube for film makers and artistic folk. Kind of like an Indie youtube, but its all superbly high quality! There are so many well done documentaries, and it just got me thinking.

Has anyone done a documentary on DCI? Each year most corps have a tour DVD, some of which are of wonderful quality. Phantom Regiment comes to mind - I really love the content they put out.

I think it would be very cool to have something like the History of Drum and Bugle Corps books that Steve Vickers put out, but in video format obviously.

It could include:

An evolution of the activity on the field, including historical footage up to modern day footage.

An evolution of the activity off the field. How the logistics and what not have changed with the times.

Interviews about how DCI was formed. Tons of interview opportunities really!

Any other ideas?

If one were to venture into creating a project like this (something I might seriously be interested in) who would be some key names to interview regarding the historical aspects of the formation and evolution of DCI?

Any thoughts or ideas regarding this would be greatly appreciated

There was a group following Pacific Crest in 2009 and 2010 making one that was going to be called "The Road to Indy", unfortunately I haven't seen anything on that for about a year.

I believe that was mostly a Tour DVD for the corps. And correct me if i'm wrong, but I think one of those years the goal was to honor their drum major that passed away just before the season started?

I believe that was mostly a Tour DVD for the corps. And correct me if i'm wrong, but I think one of those years the goal was to honor their drum major that passed away just before the season started?

i believe that was the case, yes

I own both "America's Core" and "Hell Bent for Victory" on DVD which highlight The Troopers, their return to competition in 2007 after a year of activity, and their return to finals in 2009 and they are both VERY well done. I have also seen "Hard Corps" which focuses on 2 snare drummers and their experiences in The Cadets. There is one in development entitled "A Marching Brotherhood" which will feature the Madison Scouts. I believe there are also documentaries highlighting the Blue Devils and Bluecoats.

I own both "America's Core" and "Hell Bent for Victory" on DVD which highlight The Troopers, their return to competition in 2007 after a year of activity, and their return to finals in 2009 and they are both VERY well done. I have also seen "Hard Corps" which focuses on 2 snare drummers and their experiences in The Cadets. There is one in development entitled "A Marching Brotherhood" which will feature the Madison Scouts. I believe there are also documentaries highlighting the Blue Devils and Bluecoats.

Im totally aware of all these, though they aren't quite what I'm looking for in this thread

I'm not sure whether you're expecting or just wishing. The simple, sad truth is the content you're decribing costs money to make. The sadder, simple truth is the YouTube generation affords us little hope those costs can be recouped. Not that you could have sold a DCI documentary a generation earlier. The cost of theatrical/broadcast distribution would have been prohibitive for an audience as narrow as ours.

Ironically, the Internet would have been the perfect vehicle for distributing a DCI documentary to this national, yet niche, audience - if - and it's a big "if" - that audience would agree that it ought to pay for the content it consumes and loves.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1

"Brass Roots" is a doc that DCI put together maybe 15 years ago that covered a lot of this.

Also, there was a doc made about 10 years ago about two Cadet snare drummers. It's mostly gone unrecognized, but is a FASCINATING watch:

• Like 1

gotta watch that one snare from Cadets...that kid from Cali...he's a mess

:tongue:

( I say that as he's become a great friend)

Not that you could have sold a DCI documentary a generation earlier. The cost of theatrical/broadcast distribution would have been prohibitive for an audience as narrow as ours.

HH

The "Competitive Drum Corps" video that McCormick's produced and released in '74, based on some of the 1973 DCI season probably didn't sell many copies.

I guess that's why DCI wound up giving them away when you purchased other DCI products.