Can DCA Corps Beat DCI Corps?

Any quality argument between the 2 groups is meaningless until a DCA corps can put in DCI-level rehearsal time, or a DCI one cuts back to DCA-level rehearsal time and can compete on hybrid sheets that reward both performance philosophies. For sake of argument, you'd have to have 2 corps at the same level (say Cadets and MBI) to make it as level a playing field as possible (rather than Crown vs someone at the bottom of Class A)

Hell, even 2 equal DCI corps on opposing rehearsal times (BD on DCA time, Cadets on DCI) or vise versa (Bucs/MBI) would be interesting to see....we'll never see it happen tho.

I dont see how comparing the two is pointless, I really dont. You all seem to think its impossible.

Rehearsal time, age, talent, etc. aside... is it really that hard to compare two corps? I dont believe it is.

• Like 1

I dont see how comparing the two is pointless, I really dont. You all seem to think its impossible.

Rehearsal time, age, talent, etc. aside... is it really that hard to compare two corps? I dont believe it is.

I don't believe is is that hard either. Take away all the "ifs" and just put any current DCA champion of recent years against any WC DCI Finalist straight up, and the DCI finalist would aboulutely school them. Comparing the 2 circuits is only pointless because the answer is so obvious. But, that being the case, I would still rather watch a DCA show!

Edited by VOReason
  • Like 1

As I said before, It's like comparing an Indy Car to a Formula One car. Why bother? And as it's been just said, the answer nowadays is obvious. In the 60's before the touring model and similar judging sheets, not so obvious. Pretty much the same for the cars, too before one went to a spec series and the other went for cutting edge technology. Kind of a similar issue...

Any quality argument between the 2 groups is meaningless until a DCA corps can put in DCI-level rehearsal time, or a DCI one cuts back to DCA-level rehearsal time and can compete on hybrid sheets that reward both performance philosophies. For sake of argument, you'd have to have 2 corps at the same level (say Cadets and MBI) to make it as level a playing field as possible (rather than Crown vs someone at the bottom of Class A)

Hell, even 2 equal DCI corps on opposing rehearsal times (BD on DCA time, Cadets on DCI) or vise versa (Bucs/MBI) would be interesting to see....we'll never see it happen tho.

Fire! Target!

BITD when I did perform, and there was an very, very early season combined show with DCI corps in '82 and '83, and before they had all the rehearsal and tour time- the fans and DCW spoke well of us in comparison. Once they got on tour and finished the show, they'd have clocked us badly.

You just can't compare one unit practicing weekends to one that's basically in a near constant state of rehearsal all summer. You put even and old as heck me into that scenario, my chops get a LOT better, I lose a LOT of weight and get into fighting shape. But who would pay my bills for me on tour !?!?!? :satisfied:

I didnt say compare Blue Devils to Empire, I asked where in the list of DCI corps would a DCA corps possibly fit. Everyone keeps saying the top DCI corps would win... DUH! The point was to have fun and speculate where DCA corps could fit into the mix.

As far as the formula 1/Indy car example... I bet you anything that fans from both sides talk about which is better. Just saying.

I didnt say compare Blue Devils to Empire, I asked where in the list of DCI corps would a DCA corps possibly fit. Everyone keeps saying the top DCI corps would win... DUH! The point was to have fun and speculate where DCA corps could fit into the mix.

As far as the formula 1/Indy car example... I bet you anything that fans from both sides talk about which is better. Just saying.

Ok, so, the list. Where might a top-flight DCA corps fit. Here's my opinion based on last year's placements. This is fun and completely one fan's opinion.

13. Glassmen

14. Troopers

15. The Academy

16. Colts

17. Crossmen

18. Pacific Crest

19. Mandarins

MINNESOTA BRASS

BUCCANEERS

20. Teal Sound

21. Blue Devils B

EMPIRE STATESMEN

22. Oregon Crusaders

HURRICANES

23. Cascades

24. Vanguard Cadets

25. Jersey Surf

CABS

26. Spartans

RENEGADES

27. Pioneer

28. The Yokohama Scouts

29. Revolution

30. Genesis

31. 7th Regiment

32. Music City

ALLIANCE

33. Jubal

34. Legends

35. Raiders

CORPS VETS

36. Forte

KILTIES

37. Colt Cadets

TAMPA BAY THUNDER

38. Les Stentors

THE REST OF DCA

39. Racine Scouts

40. Blue Saints

41. Spirit of Newark

• Like 1

"Better" is arguable as a serious race fan. there's a kind of parallel, though. F1 has a sky-high budget, and can be seriously argued to represent the pinnacle of the activity.

IndyCar/IRL puts on a heckuva great show, drivers have gone from one to the other, and the ones coming from F1 can't get over the friendlier atmosphere and the fans, who are far more polite to them. I can tell you stories on that from personal experience. The cars are a lot cheaper to build and maintain, but the show is great, very affordable to go and see, and the fans are knowledgeable, too.

Back in the early 70's there WAS an event created to compare the F1 and Indy cars, the Questor Grand Prix:

http://counter-x.net/f1/questor/index.html

Which kinda worked but was never repeated.

I liked the Dream, the West Chester show, and the Hershey Spectacular, where you could see DCI and DCA corps doing their thing at the same show. But I just never compared them as to 'who was better". I went to see the variety of ideas and to enjoy them for what each one is...

Ed. from what I saw of Pioneer on the simulcast, your assessment and ranking of them might be quite a bit high, sad to say.....

Maybe last year...in 2010, I would bet Pioneer would have been top 5 at DCA.