Can DCA Corps Beat DCI Corps?

spitting.giftic.gif

He ain't kidding. :smile: Their nuts and bolts are every bit as good. Now the arranging last year, etc. not quite. In other words, 'how' they played was there, more the question of needing more of 'what' they played.

• Like 1

You're also comparing a perennial top DCA finisher with a perennial DCI Div I cellar-dweller....not an apt comparison by ANY stretch.

Try picking a couple of corps who tend to place around the middle of their respective divisions...

I won't bother to do it regardless where a corps places. So many different intangibles, it's an exercise in futility

He ain't kidding. :smile: Their nuts and bolts are every bit as good. Now the arranging last year, etc. not quite. In other words, 'how' they played was there, more the question of needing more of 'what' they played.

I'm not saying they didn't have a good sound. But to tell me they were better than MBI, Bucs, Empire, Hurcs, Cabs, Alliance, Renegades..etc. No way. Sorry.. I don't see that at all. Taking away size, the hornlines I referenced above still had much better balance, blend, and technique than Fusion. Even if you wanted to take Alliance and Renegades out of the mix I could maybe see it a little, but no way was that hornline was better than the Top 5 open class corps.

Edited: Looking at the recaps, Fusion scored 166 in Brass vs. Top 5 185 to 197.

Performer excellence, Fusion 85 vs. Top 5 92 and up.

That range isn't entirely because of design.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1

I'm not saying they didn't have a good sound. But to tell me they were better than MBI, Bucs, Empire, Hurcs, Cabs, Alliance, Renegades..etc. No way. Sorry.. I don't see that at all. Taking away size, the hornlines I referenced above still had much better balance, blend, and technique than Fusion. Even if you wanted to take Alliance and Renegades out of the mix I could maybe see it a little, but no way was that hornline was better than the Top 5 open class corps.

I didn't say better- comparable. There is a difference. And the "what" advantage the top 5 had created a lot of that gap on them from last year. Doing more in terms of difficulty also drives that bottom number more heavily than people think, and the top 5 did. I can't comment on the Open Southern corps or the Gades. Hopefully, this year, I'll have that opportunity to get a good look and listen.

Hmm. Also... the excellence number for Fusion is above the difficulty? There's a strong message being sent right there. My educated guess is that the DCA numbers are anchored- that the bottom number is only allowed to be so far above the top and vice versa, and from the looks of it, they sure seem to be likely to be pushing that kind of restriction if there is one....

• Like 2

remember the how drives the what. so if they had a higher what number and achieved, the how number would go up too

And really, in all fairness, (and I know this is going to get quoted for the next two days) it's not necessary for the purpose of this discussion to have both circuits on the same sheets. If we, the regular prowlers of DCP, were sponsoring such a contest, than YES.. it is necessary. But for this discussion, just take it at face value.

2 seconds to answer this question: In a fight, who would win? Chuck Norris or Kim Kardashian?

What kind of fight....a refereed boxing match? A barfight? A spat on Facebook?

The outcome depends on the situation, to some degree.