Can't think of his name but there was another soloist towards the end, they called him "Slim"

The really tall guy. I don't recall his name, either.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The really tall guy. I don't recall his name, either.

I checked with Steve...his name was Bobby "Slim" Collins

John! Now that you're here, I have another question. :thumbup:

Your comment on GT conducting and knowing your role with Cabs Alumni and how you perform-- did the Percussion section in 1977 have a full time dedicated on field assistant conductor similar to the alumni, or was GT just conducting for the percussion for Tico-Tico? I'm always curious about how certain things were and are done. I can always learn a new trick or three, or make a suggestion with a group I work for and back it up with past practice as not being crazy to do.

You been doing well, etc!?

'Big W,' I wish I had a more authoritative answer for you. I was out of the competing corps four years already by 1977. I know there were almost always assistant conductors/majors with Jimmy Russo, but I don't know exactly who they might have been in '77. (I would need to go view the video to see if I recognize anyone.) I recall some names of assistants over the years: Bobby Knapp in the early '70's when I marched, later on, others like Steve Sapienza, Lou Stock, Tyrone Laval, Rose Cataneo etc., and there were others as well. George may have been on the field just for that solo, and very possibly might have only suited up for DCA prelims and finals. His main concern was usually to keep the section on top of the tempo in the drum solos (and perhaps keep an eye on the execution judges?). By the way, in the years I marched, I never saw him in a uniform.

As for me personally, I'm doing pretty well, thanks. Last year's hip replacement kept me off the field and made me a sideline observer, but it's feeling great. I am hoping to get back out there this season, but I have other 'issues' associated with arthritic back pain and an annoying foot problem. I'm going to give it a try, and I am still instructing this season, whether I march or not. Again, thanks for asking. Hope to meet you at a show sometime.