What a Nut I Am

Last night, I’m at my son’s elementary school band concert. The lights are down. In front of me, is young man in a yellow/gold t-shirt. On the back, just under the collar, is a small figure in maroon as if in motion. Legs are splayed; he could be running. He’s holding something, something rounded at the end of his arm.

Gold and maroon. Is that a bell at the end of that arm? Maybe jazz running? The Cadets old logo? That jazz-running trumpet? I’ve got a Cadet fan sitting in front of me, I think. I’ll ask.

Nope. The lights come up a little. It’s the Nike logo. Michael Jordan. Jordan air. It’s a basketball at the end of his arm, not a trumpet. Air ball here. Fracked it bad!

This is my life. I scour every shirt that passes my way for any sign of any corps. The girls must think I’m a perve. Really, I’m looking for drum corps fans. I am. I am.

HH

• Like 8

I saw my first drum corps bus sighting last night. Pioneer went right past my restaurant, with an empty bus and about a half hour later, a full bus from the airport in Milwaukee. I was excited!

• Like 6

Last night, I’m at my son’s elementary school band concert. The lights are down. In front of me, is young man in a yellow/gold t-shirt. On the back, just under the collar, is a small figure in maroon as if in motion. Legs are splayed; he could be running. He’s holding something, something rounded at the end of his arm.

Gold and maroon. Is that a bell at the end of that arm? Maybe jazz running? The Cadets old logo? That jazz-running trumpet? I’ve got a Cadet fan sitting in front of me, I think. I’ll ask.

Nope. The lights come up a little. It’s the Nike logo. Michael Jordan. Jordan air. It’s a basketball at the end of his arm, not a trumpet. Air ball here. Fracked it bad!

This is my life. I scour every shirt that passes my way for any sign of any corps. The girls must think I’m a perve. Really, I’m looking for drum corps fans. I am. I am.

HH

I can really relate to this. I am alone in my love for this activity. I have followed the activity for 20 years but alot of my friends have not. I did have a great encounter at my job several years ago when we hired a seasonal employee (college student) who turned out to be a member of crown. He went on to be their drum major for the last two years before aging out last year. I attended finals in Indy last year that was my first. I have made all my reservations for this year so I am eager to meet some folks, have a drink or two and talk drum corps instead of Auburn and Alabama football for a change.

• Like 1

I can sorta relate to this, when I saw a bluecoats truck at a high school they were having a camp at and I just HAD to take a picture with. I was so psyched about it that my sister started getting excited about it even when she had no clue what drum corps even was! She wondered why I wanted to join even if I didn't play drums! XD

Whenever I see someone in public with a corps shirt on I am immediately moved to feel a bond with them even if I have never seen them before. Thats the power of the drum corps community. Anyone can wear a yankees or cowboys shirt but nobody wears an SCV shirt unless they know what theyre doing.

What about The jacket? There is just a sense of "cool" about it, like a big leather biking jacket, but better. The jacket exudes all the wearers achievements and passions. I can stand in awe at my high school's latest Regiment marcher's jacket. It catches my eye more than any other jacket I've ever seen. Of course, nobody else would know what was so special about it, but I would, along with the rest of thr drum corps community.

• Like 1

so agree. When to an AHL hockey game this winter, and saw a guy in the SCV hockey jersey. Immediately had to say hi and chat.

They have those??? :w00t::worthy:

I dont know if they still have them. I got mine in 05