Shaun Canon to Perform at DCI Finals

With the release of his new video a few weeks ago Live for Music™ I was interested in learning a little more information about someone I never heard about...so I was browsing this website and found this announcement... Shaun Canon at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sat Aug 11

I think this will be great to help promote drum corps even more to perhaps new audiences... :smile: The only thing that stuck out to me and made me cringe a little bit was the following description... :doh:

"Shaun Canon performs as the main featured guest of the Drum Corps International marching band competition. Shaun will be accompanied by Lindsey Stirling on violin, and 3,000 of the nation's best marching band high school performers."

What are your thoughts?

With the release of his new video a few weeks ago Live for Music™ I was interested in learning a little more information about someone I never heard about...so I was browsing this website and found this announcement... Shaun Canon at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sat Aug 11

I think this will be great to help promote drum corps even more to perhaps new audiences... :smile: The only thing that stuck out to me and made me cringe a little bit was the following description... :doh:

"Shaun Canon performs as the main featured guest of the Drum Corps International marching band competition. Shaun will be accompanied by Lindsey Stirling on violin, and 3,000 of the nation's best marching band high school performers."

What are your thoughts?

shaun-canon_post_0.jpg

Well, considering that the bulk of the American Idol crowd won't understand the difference between Marching Band and Drum Corps, this seems to have simplified the event for people that may want to come to just see him. Although, it is also discouraging that this isn't more upfront. It can be misleading to certain crowds...

Drum Corps is a great activity if you enjoy it. There's no reason to trick people into going to see something they may not be interested in. Will this attract new fans? Possibly. But, when you list someone as the main event, when in reality DCI Championships has been an annual event for decades, featuring well established organizations, fans of this American Idol contestant may be confused as to why they have to sit through a few hours of what they have been told are "High School Marching Bands" before seeing their idol. Or, is it that he is going to go on first? This may keep people in the stands for the main event, but I really have always tried not to shove the activity down peoples' throats. It's one of those things you just really love, or not.

Music is music, and I respect it in all its forms. I'm sure many people do. But I'm not sure they are going about the marketing/promotion the right way either for DCI or for this Shaun fellow. If there is one thing that will win the fans and respect for an established musician, it is transparency!

:peek:

Also, I think the people in charge of this should consider the statistics before attempting to compliment. Yes, it takes fine young men and women from high schools and colleges to comprise the organizations we know as Drum and Bugle Corps, but really how many in the top 12 are high school aged? Nor do corps represent a particular school, rather, the activity and the morals behind each organization. There's more I can add to that, but I'm sure someone will reply with something witty hahaha!

• Like 3

having him there is good. the wording...not so good. I agree...if you advertise him as the main event....whathappens when people who arent into drum corps or marching band are forced to sit through 12 corps until he comes on?

There is potential for mainstream publicity, which is good, and I am sure he himself will promote the drum corps. I just wonder if this release could do more damage than good

• Like 1

In Mother Russia, Shark jumps YOU!

J/Kblink.gif

• Like 2

whathappens when people who arent into drum corps or marching band are forced to sit through 12 corps until he comes on?

Not part of facebook, so does it state he will perform during retreat or will he perform before/after the USMC D&BC, if in fact they will be attending.

having him there is good. the wording...not so good. I agree...if you advertise him as the main event....whathappens when people who arent into drum corps or marching band are forced to sit through 12 corps until he comes on?

There is potential for mainstream publicity, which is good, and I am sure he himself will promote the drum corps. I just wonder if this release could do more damage than good

But he wasn't advertised as the main event. The wording is, "Shaun Canon performs as the main featured guest." It doesn't say that he's the main feature. Of all the guests who will be there, he's the main one. So, if Kim Kardashian shows up with whomever she's dating by then, she's going to be upstaged by more than just the twelve best drum corps in the known universe.

And in case anyone missed it, this has been public on DCI.org for over two weeks.

• Like 3

What are your thoughts?

Outside of the "HS" part, seems perfectly accurate to me. :thumbup:

• Like 2

So, from the picture earlier in this thread, Shaun Canon must be a former American Idol contestant? Do people still watch American Idol? I didn't even know it was still on. Guess I'm out of it.

• Like 4