Random thoughts from Renegades LA Tour 2003

Random thoughts from Renegades LA Tour 2003

1. Opening Ceremonies: Renegades first run-through in San Diego. While the rest of the corps marches around him at 200 b.p.m., snare drummer Dennis Mancini does a slow motion Matrix-style back flip in the middle of Halloween. Dennis is uninjured, but stunned that for 1.3 seconds of his life, he manages to defy gravity and play clean sixteenth notes on a snare drum while upside down. All in all, the staff is very happy that the corps first run-through was so good. Apparently, our request to the corps to keep the show in its head through the July 4th holiday weekend break was well taken.

2. Mysterious Opening Ceremony #2: Contra-player-in-a-rage James Bearney trips over a flag on the field and dents his contra. This event eerily parallels his experience at DCA 2002 when his contra was dropped off of an airplane onto the runway and run over by an Air Italia 747 (airport workers and random Italians are still hiding from James). Somehow, James’ mysterious role in the Universe includes the mashing of metal objects by third parties no matter what lengths are taken to protect them. I find this amusing, and I plan to propose to the Renegades board that we either heavily insure the horn that James will use at DCA and hire Air Force One to transport it … or we invent the disposable contra. James has nothing to do with this … it’s his role in the Universe, and somewhere, a sentient being is smiling, as all is going according to his or her plan.

3. Disclaimer: I actually saw very little drum corps this weekend. I spent much of one show at the beach trying to temporarily forget drum corps, and much of the other in transit back home so I could play lawyer this morning. ^0^

4. Renegades new podium = genius. Thank you to the two people who donated the big bucks to get it.

5. Deep thought: Treasure Island may be the most beautiful rehearsal facility in drum corps, and keeps the Renegades away from Africa-heat for much of the summer … but it does little to nothing to prepare the corps for the reverb and suddenly-loud pit in a concrete bowl-like stadium. Uh-oh. Keep reading.

6. Lesson Learned #1 (San Diego). After the 1.3 mile excruciatingly hot Bataan Death March simulation from the parking lot to the stadium, the Renegades take the field. Although the on-the-field show was OK, the ensemble show was “exciting,” as the unexpected reverb and suddenly-loud pit bouncing off the concrete bowl stadium causes five complete catastrophic ensemble melt-downs where everyone on the field is out of step with one another (literally). I am stunned, as the corps was great in rehearsal, and four out of five meltdowns occur where there never has been one before. Ahhh, nothing like 11 minutes of intense chaos and stress to start the weekend of drum corps shows … Yipee. Note to self: Ignoring pit and reverb is a good lesson for our corps to learn in San Diego … and not DCA Prelims. Go to the beach.

7. Post-Lesson Learned #1 (San Diego). Immediately after Renegades’ performance, staff members Chris Nalls, Dave Watrous, Teri (Chris’ girlfriend) and I head to the beach at La Jolla to watch the sunset and forget about drum corps. We return to the show just in time for a brief viewing of Pacific Crest (very much improved, but still lacking in impact a bit), and the judge’s critique. The judges seem to now realize that we are going to DCA and looking for insight as we clean and perfect the show … so, the input we are getting from them has been great. A few years ago, West Coast senior corps was largely seen as a novelty and the critiques were of limited value … that is starting to disappear quickly. Cool!

8. Random Comment on San Diego Show: Whoever promoted this show needs to attend Marketing 101. Eleven fans and a soggy bratwurst do not make a drum corps show, and there were enough good corps to attract a much bigger fan base. Sorry, but I know the promoters could have done better. D-.

9. Random Comment #2 on San Diego Show: Three senior corps in one show = AWESOME. Hurry back Northwest Venture! Enough said.

10. So.Cal Dream: Pro: Renegades southern evil pals continue their rapid rate of improvement, and stun the Free World by beating River City Regiment … twice. Visual program is definitely Dream’s strong suit, and the guard is clean, clean and clean. Con #1: Pit needed. Con #2: So.Cal Dream takes the field as I walk out of the stadium in San Diego after our five spectacular ensemble melt-downs. Audience members who just walk into the stadium say, “Oh cool, Renegades are on the field.” This was too funny, until five seconds later it happened again. Arghhhhh!! Dear Renegades southern evil pals – the purple shirt and cool uniform design notwithstanding, you look exactly like the Renegades … and there are only three California senior corps. Next year, figure out a way to get your own visual identity, or we need get River City Regiment in long black coats as well to complete the trilogy. I enjoy your corps, but the twilight zone alternate universe effect confuses people.

11. River City Regiment: Pro: Small but very clean and talented drum line leads the way for this vastly improved corps, and they take the field percussion sub-caption in San Diego. Although losing to the Dream both nights, the home court advantage is very much relevant in senior corps, and next weekend, it will be Dream who travels hours and hours without sleep just to get to the show. Look for a possible competitive upset at the Cupertino or Sacramento show. Con: Some members were openly and visibly rattled by the scores on Saturday. Don’t worry … be happy. The corps is 100% better than last year, and the home court advantage is about to be yours.

12. West Covina Show: Pro: Africa heat disappears rapidly upon Renegades belated arrival at show site. Our pals in the Dream accommodate our last second need for warm-up time, and we take the field after them (thank you). Renegades have a very solid and exciting show. The fans were great, and I got to finally meet honorary Renegade Harvey Berish. Con: Slight ensemble tear in the closer, seven-hour drive back home after the show. SPECIAL BOUNUS = Fans in the seats. Show promoter gets a B+.

13. Random Deep Thought: It’s good to be on the road with the Renegades again, and I got to meet a lot of cool people this weekend. Special shout out to Dream staff member Jesus (pronounced “Hey Zues”), as he might be as evil as the rest of us. Chaotic parties held throughout the Elephant Bar and hotel on Saturday Night were really fun, and brought back the concept of sleep deprivation experiments. Next weekend, Renegades to host the party after the Cupertino show, and both Dream and RCR will allegedly be in attendance. Uh-oh. J

14. Random Deep Thought #2: Our tenor line is getting really, really good. When they marched by me playing “scrapes” at 200 bpm with exactly “zero” ticks during a run through, I had a SCV flashback. Murrak Gusseck for President.

15. What’s Next: Two more Nor Cal. Senior/Div 2 shows (Sacramento and Cupertino), and then Renegades go into the “second season,” where we take six intense weeks to clean the show in preparation for DCA, cumulating with the Renegades farewell performance show (River City will be there as well). Evil intense Renegade ending to Red Skies at Night coming soon to a stadium near you.

Thanks for reading,

Lee

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's mine: quick and dirty version

1) Note for next time #1: Fly. Busses are for kids

2) Note for next time #2: Leave the party when the angry drunk guy shows up. :huh:

3) Note for next time #3: Bring gas mask and oxygen tank. Either that or take up a smoking habit a week before so the lungs don't go into shock.

4) I am now So Cal Dream's guard's biggest fan. YOU GUYS RULE!

5) To the bar tender at Elephant Bar who wouldn't serve me a drink because last call was at 1am and it was 1:05: <**>

6) Next year I propose a slip 'n slide in the show. Just for random frivolity and a cooling effect.

7) Seven.

8) I was Popeye the Sailor Man for about 20 minutes on Saturday night.

9) San Diego show. Africa-Heat + Sahara Desert Dehydration makes for random silliness we would normally not partake in. Such as talking on the field. Makes for some fun moments. Number one: Dianne loses her ponytail (fake hair piece) on the field (sorte like in the opening credits of Happy Days) and turns to the next person and says "Did you enjoy that???" and laughed. Then, during Tears in Hevan, while I'm trying to have a serious, stoic look on my face, I look down, and there at the 30 yard line makers is a pile of fake hair....I start to laugh. Number two: random echoing and ensemble tear. I turn to Alisha: "What tempo are you going with??" more laughter on the field. Hey, if you don't laugh you'll cry.

10) Shirley Dorittie showing up for the West Covina show and taking us through a mini-meditation prior to the show: You're a true lady Shirley. You rule. Thank you so much for passion and dedication to the activity.

11) Hotel suite with a 5 person jacuzzi bath tub = ROCK STAR

12) I got Lee's kryptonite. Not to be confused with Iraqi-grade Plutonium that we left on the busses in NJ last year.

13) Becky is the coolest chick in the guard. So cool in fact that she completely threw Lee off by wearing an "8" shirt. :)

14) This weekend, I found out my soul mate is a gay man. I love you, Todd. (aka: Sigfried).

15) I think that's it. What's fit to print, anyway. What a fun weekend. :)

Great review, Lee....but you're wrong, wrong, WRONG on one point...

the march to the stadium (or should I say "March to the Scaffold" for the '85 Phantom phans?) was 3.1 PARSECS, not 1.3 measly miles...

And something you forgot to mention aboutthe otherwise wonderful stadium at Westview HS (the field.......drool....), the fact that the bathroom are nowhere ####### NEAR the stands! Who thought THAt one up?

Ah well...see ya next week!

Wow sounds like you guys had it rough!! Hopefully DCA will be nice, cool and NO RAIN!!!!! I couldn't have made it in all that smog! The hair piece is classic LMAO!!!!

Dear Renegades southern evil pals – the purple shirt and cool uniform design notwithstanding, you look exactly like the Renegades … and there are only three California senior corps. Next year, figure out a way to get your own visual identity, or we need get River City Regiment in long black coats as well to complete the trilogy.

You heard em, RCR, go get the black jackets! :huh:

13) Becky is the coolest chick in the guard. So cool in fact that she completely threw Lee off by wearing an "8" shirt. :)

That's too good! Or evil?! :huh:

If you noticed the bodyguards for our drum major at retreat, we are taking the Agent Smith approach to the Matrix Western Senior Corps Uniform Madness.....

:P

Oh, I noticed all right...gets MY vote for best DM salute, hands down!!

Clint, you've GOTTA video that and put it on the RCR site so the back-east crowd can see how much fun we're having (well, you can show all the Sr. DMs leaving the field together...even if they DID almost steer me into the goal post Sunday!)

And if anyone was counting...on each night we had 7 Sr folks on the retreat line...Lee???????