What unusual wildlife did you see while traveling with drum corps

Moose in Colorado and millions of beetles the size of sparrows in Nebraska.

While walking down a dark street in the middle of Nebraska looking for a convenience store;

crunch, crunch

"What the hell is that? Is the road.... moving?"

crunch, crunch

"No, these are bugs!!!"

crunch, crunch

"EEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

Scariest thing I've ever seen. 40 years later, still have nightmares about cleaning the bug guts off my shoes.

• Like 1

Didn't see them (thank goodness for being on the 2nd floor) but heard about the waterbugs at New Orleans at 1978 AL Nats. Motel was near the swamps and first floor folks were shaking out their clothes and instrument cases before we left. Next couple hours on the bus was spent listening to "I can top that ####" involving bugs that wouldn't flush, couldn't be killed, blocked the TV screen, took a shower with you and (my favorite) had Southern Hospitality.

Southern Hospitality - "That ##### was hanging on the TV on/off button when we came in. Guess he was trying to turn the TV on for us".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The mayflies covering the bus in Canada.... :shutup:

I'm not sure what it was, but whatever I saw crawling across the field as I lined up in my opening set for finals in 1988. The thing was crossing a yard line and completely covered it as it crossed. I just prayed it got out of the way so I wouldn't step on it and slide across the field on it's slimy smashed body.

And I'm amazed....several post here an NO ONE has mentioned drummer yet?? :devil:

Hey now!!! :smile:

Huntington, WV - the biggest bugs (not sure if they were beetles or what) I have ever seen. Everywhere. Everyone has seen those dung beetles - these things rolled our bass drums around like that... :tongue:

Not sure where but a circus was in town for a festival and the lions were roaring the whole evening thru all the shows. Anyone else remember that?

Edited by RetiredJedi

The native Florida gecko was very frightening to the bass baritone sitting in the stall next to me in '83, at Miami nationals. He gave out this blood curdling scream, pounded about three times and finally knocked the door of the stall open, running away with his shorts around his ankles. You see, the little lizard had crawled through my stall, which I thought was cool, as I was a farm boy from NW Ohio. The big city boy from Dubuque did not find it so cool, and as he swatted at the poor little creature, it began hopping back and forth in front of him, scaring the heck out of him. Priceless memories from Miami. Priceless. :w00t:

• Like 1

Hey now!!! :smile:

Huntington, WV - the biggest bugs (not sure if they were beetles or what) I have ever seen. Everywhere. Everyone has seen those dung beetles - these things rolled our bass drums around like that... :tongue:

Not sure where but a circus was in town for a festival and the lions were roaring the whole evening thru all the shows. Anyone else remember that?

The thing I can't stand about dung beetles is their little ####-eating grins...

• Like 1