Who is finished?

A show that is too short or too long gets a .2 timing penalty. Both short and long shows are incomplete, one for not having enough, the other for not conforming to length rules.

Why should incomplete drills or routines be judged any differently? Why not lower the score .2 for any relevant subcaption, e.g., if the guard routines aren't finished, or drop the guard score by .2, if the drill is incomplete, drop it by .2.

The issue for me isn't so much that a corps can have 2-3 minutes of incomplete show and still score a 72 at the first show--the greater issue is that when the corps in question finishes the show, the judges reward this, furthering any current gaps. This isn't right. A corps should be judged for what it puts on the field--that also includes stuff that is visibly/audibly missing from the show.

This post isn't meant as a knock against any specific corps, but let's think of it like this:

If Pioneer doesn't complete a show for the first contest, what is your initial thought? I bet its somewhere along the lines that "the members aren't good enough to finish it." You may not say it out loud, but you certainly think it.

When Cavaliers don't have a complete product for the first contest, what is your initial thought? I bet it is very different than that of the hypothetical Pioneer situation above. I bet that when Cavaliers finish the show, they get a higher reward for it than Pioneer--maybe 1 point difference, where Pioneer will be fortunate to see .4-.5 improvement of score with a complete show.

A one point increase is MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT to a corps scoring a 72 at the first contest than a corps scoring a 48 at the first contest. A reduction, regardless of how it appears to those who have been the most successful, is the most fair approach to all corps.

Did I just make a distribution of wealth parallel to drum corps scoring? :blink:

Oh, and I absolutely enjoy Pioneer and the Cavaliers and meant no ill will with this post. Best of luck to both of these fine organizations!

Confessions of a Borg (circa 2006)

I am a Cadet borg... I am also a Cavalier borg, a Phantom borg, a Vanguard borg, a Trooper borg, a Blue Star borg, a Crossmen borg, a Boston borg, a Colts borg, a Jersey Surf borg, a Jubal borg, a Racine Scout borg , a Madison borg, an Empire Statesman borg, a Caballero borg, a Bridgemen borg…I guess you get the picture. Name any corps, add borg, and you have my number.

I dislike uncomplimentary labels, and I especially dislike them when their use is assumedly intended to discredit or inflame. There are a lot of very intelligent, very articulate people who frequent DCP, and occasionally one may cross the line and use their very impressive vocabularies to belittle other posters and/or other participants in the activity with whom for one reason or another they are in disagreement. I would guess that those isolated offenses are probably not intended to insult or inflame or to hurt… but when couched in inflammatory and unnecessary terminology…they do!

And so, when that happens, and the offensive term “borg” is tossed out in a conversation, I gladly accept the designation of super borg #1. Many of us know or know of the offenders.. I have a great deal of respect for their viewpoints and their passion. I do not believe there is any deliberate intent to offend anyone, but regardless of intention, it is offensive.

So, my request is that if anyone feels it is necessary to call anyone a borg, I’ll gladly accept the designation on behalf of anyone targeted in that manner. I am a borg. I am proud to be a borg. I will probably always be a borg. If anyone wants to join me in that corner, they're welcome. There's room for all.

• Like 1

As a manger in the real world, I expect projects to be turned in on time even if not complete because I need to see where they are at and if they are on track. Chronic tardiness and incomplete projects make layoff choices and reviews very easy for me

As an IT manager in the real world, I prefer a project to be turned in with top quality, even if not on time. That generate far fewer problems down the road.

• Like 2

Yikes...thank god the first show is tonight. :doh:

Amen...

:tongue:

Jean Luc is pretty awesome but then you remember this..

d249706faeb89fad795234460d1f5bfd28f105bd.jpg

I

I, for one, think that the music from this episode would make an amazing ballad... Jay Chattaway "The Inner Light Suite" - - check it out!

Love this clip!

Me too. :smile:

Let's watch what happens now... :laughing:

I, for one, think that the music from this episode would make an amazing ballad... Jay Chattaway "The Inner Light Suite" - - check it out!

You and every marching band that's ever done a Star Trek show. Oy! But it's a great episode, and great music.

And here it is - - cheers to Senior corps SoCal Dream!

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsyr&corps=561&yearqry=2012&corpstype=Senior

Here is the music on YouTube. This is the music I play in class when I want to calm the students in my classroom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CggjsZLsAHk