Who is finished?

This issue has always been a pet peeve of mine, as I've thought it gave paying spectators a raw deal in the early shows if you didn't have your act together. Costumes can be tougher, with late people added/sizing, etc, but there is no excuse for not having silks ready on time. The issue seems to have gotten a bit better recently, and DCI may have pushed to improve it since they now do an early season theater broadcast. No one wants to look at dirty practice flags on the big screen. The score jump thing really varies from judge to judge and show to show, and in the long run is not very significant. Unfortunately, the issue won't completely go away unless they penalize or something (which isn't even really practical).

I agree totally thats why I like being finished BUT it has worked even with the spectator I have watched a dirty mess of a guard in July and the following week, just as dirty get a new silk and WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO the crowd loves them as well have said look how much better they got...NOT! Don't over estimate a judge either. I've seen it work there also.

DCI has nothing to do with it and early broadcast doesnt either. There are top 5 staff out there that stategically plan this out , as hard as it is to believe. I think there are some staff members choosing to be ready so maybe its turning a bit. The way to make it stop I think is JUDGES...look beyond a silk, are they better or did you just get dazzled by fabric. I guarantee if this happened and people werent rewarded merely for fabric at a given time it would stop.JMO

It should be about the work...but shiny objects are sooo pretty.

lol..and you know how easy we get distracted....lol.......actually color choice etc etc is a very important part of the show concept thats why if its not there in the beginning..maybe no credit should be givin but also if color is all that got better judge it accordingly..ITS so easy to figure out those who play this game and judges know who they are also.

lol..and you know how easy we get distracted....lol.......actually color choice etc etc is a very important part of the show concept thats why if its not there in the beginning..maybe no credit should be givin but also if color is all that got better judge it accordingly..ITS so easy to figure out those who play this game and judges know who they are also.

Hmm...I wonder who it could be?!? ;P

• Like 1

I agree totally thats why I like being finished BUT it has worked even with the spectator I have watched a dirty mess of a guard in July and the following week, just as dirty get a new silk and WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO the crowd loves them as well have said look how much better they got...NOT! Don't over estimate a judge either. I've seen it work there also.

DCI has nothing to do with it and early broadcast doesnt either. There are top 5 staff out there that stategically plan this out , as hard as it is to believe. I think there are some staff members choosing to be ready so maybe its turning a bit. The way to make it stop I think is JUDGES...look beyond a silk, are they better or did you just get dazzled by fabric. I guarantee if this happened and people werent rewarded merely for fabric at a given time it would stop.JMO

Agreed. Once judges' begin to evaluate what they see--or in this case, don't see--on the field instead of checking out the name on the buses that brought the corps to the stadium, maybe the corps directors and staffs will get the message. SCV is notorious for not finishing their show for the first several contests--and then expect to see their "normal" placement. If the judges would start marking what they see at the beginning of the year (and I am not speaking about SCV in particular)--standing around for 30-40% of a show--and evaluating it as just "standing around" and some of the "Big 6 or 7" find themselves several places behind the winner of the show, perhaps a message would be sent that you simply don't get points for having the right name.

I don't think that would ever happen, of course.

• Like 2

Agreed. Once judges' begin to evaluate what they see--or in this case, don't see--on the field instead of checking out the name on the buses that brought the corps to the stadium, maybe the corps directors and staffs will get the message. SCV is notorious for not finishing their show for the first several contests--and then expect to see their "normal" placement. If the judges would start marking what they see at the beginning of the year (and I am not speaking about SCV in particular)--standing around for 30-40% of a show--and evaluating it as just "standing around" and some of the "Big 6 or 7" find themselves several places behind the winner of the show, perhaps a message would be sent that you simply don't get points for having the right name.

I don't think that would ever happen, of course.

Well if they stand around very cleanly then their visual execution scores should be good, and if standing still makes it easier to play their book then their music scores should be good which would mean the only thing that would really suffer would be GE visual, and if what they did before they started standing was head and shoulders above the other corps competing in the show then a minute of weak GE really wouldn't be enough to drop their score down below those other corps would it?

• Like 1

Well if they stand around very cleanly then their visual execution scores should be good, and if standing still makes it easier to play their book then their music scores should be good which would mean the only thing that would really suffer would be GE visual, and if what they did before they started standing was head and shoulders above the other corps competing in the show then a minute of weak GE really wouldn't be enough to drop their score down below those other corps would it?

80% of the show should get your 74 the first night out multiplied by .8, giving you a 59 instead. You want to stop people from coming out with unfinished shows, you can do it. The "big boys" would probably throw a fit though.

80% of the show should get your 74 the first night out multiplied by .8, giving you a 59 instead. You want to stop people from coming out with unfinished shows, you can do it. The "big boys" would probably throw a fit though.

Who cares if they throw a fit? This is an activity starved for spectators and ticket sales. What other entertainment source gives me 80% product for full price and tells me to deal with it? Can I go to a movie, pay full price, and have the movie stop after it's 80% completed? How about a broadway show that gives me 80% and leaves me hanging on the ending?

Why we allow this to go on in drum corps is beyond me. It needs to stop. DCI really needs to step up and do something to curb this behavior. You need fans and butts in seats, yet you continue to thumb your nose at them. $45-$50 per seat for premium seating at most local shows is enough to expect a "complete" product, IMO.

The thought of some doing this intentionally smacks of arrogance and self-indulgence.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 4