CADETS NNJ DEBUT

I can't imagine the "oh yeah" stuff stays in. I'm surprised it's STILL in.

Why be surprised? I mean, "let's kick it old school!" stayed in there until mid-season if I recall properly. :devil:

The show success will be based on the visual integration with the musical components. Last year's show would have scored very differently if the corps was dressed in horns and angel's wings and represented the music in a different way. My impression was this year's musical book live was

interesting yet familiar and accessible, has lots of room for interesting acoustical effects and pared with a strong visual product, can be well

received by fans and judges especially with a new system rewarding accessible competence. As I stated previously, if there are too many top WC corps coming out with deep,cerebral thought provoking designs, this could be the one top WC group that critics will hate to love. I just have to give this staff the benefit of the doubt and trust they liked the success they received last summer and the little jeoffrey's and Sarah Jone's of years past will stay tucked away somewhere very far from the competitive turf this season. Preseason speculation is about to expire, thank god. Enjoy the summer everyone and my well wishes to all these terrific kids in all the corps for a wonderful life experience. I truly love each corps

for its uniqueness and particular strengths.

• Like 1

I must be deaf because Carol of Bells, Jingle Bells, The Ballad, and the Closer, all seem like they have different feels and emotion to them.

Carol of the Bells: FAST, aggressive, intense,

Jingle Bells: Jazzy, Fun, Playful

Ballad: Slow, Dark, Emotional

Closer: Reverent, Cadet-Drum Corps,

Or am I crazy for liking this show? :tongue:

I dont hate it....I just see three of the tunes being what you call Cadet drum corps, and one being the Christmas version of Malaguena. But, as I said and you ignored, it's June, and what you see in June isn't what you get in August

• Like 1

I dont hate it....I just see three of the tunes being what you call Cadet drum corps, and one being the Christmas version of Malaguena. But, as I said and you ignored, it's June, and what you see in June isn't what you get in August

Agreed. I think it's gonna be great myself. My only beef is that PLEASE for the love of God turn down the pit during the melodic passages in the horn line when they are purposely trying in vain to use dynamics and play music. :)

I must be deaf because Carol of Bells, Jingle Bells, The Ballad, and the Closer, all seem like they have different feels and emotion to them.

Carol of the Bells: FAST, aggressive, intense,

Jingle Bells: Jazzy, Fun, Playful

Ballad: Slow, Dark, Emotional

Closer: Reverent, Cadet-Drum Corps,

Or am I crazy for liking this show? :tongue:

You're not crazy. But neither am I for not liking it.

And it's not even that I don't like it. I just don't really care about it. Brass, percussion, guard... all can be slammin. Visual can be mind-blowing. But the overall concept just doesn't grab me at all right now. I'm probably one of the larger Cadet "homers" on here, but I feel like this season, they're giving me a year off from stressing about where they place, because I really don't care.

I can already tell that this is going to be one of the least played Cadets shows on my iTunes. Not because it's bad or cheesy. Just because the concept and source material isn't what I want to hear year round. I'll watch them, and applaud, and if they place high, great. If not, great.

I think there are other much more intriguing program ideas out there that have some pretty heavy hitters performing them that will be vying for the title come August though.

• Like 1

Let's just wait and see how things progress before we pass judgment on a corps that has the guts to actually let you see what they are up to pre-season. :)

This part really can't be said enough. For an organization that often created one PR disaster after another in the past, their level of openness, accessibility and outreach with everything they are doing right now is really exceptional. It's such a stark contrast with others who are going to extraordinary lengths to preserve some perceived level of "secrecy." The daily videos are a hoot, the production values are fantastic, the personalities are cheerful and full of information. It's the sort of thing that makes adults want to support the corps and kids want to join it.

They really project an image of a group that is very comfortable with who they are, what they are doing, and what their goals should be. Great stuff and it makes everything much more fun!

• Like 3

. But, as I said and you ignored, it's June, and what you see in June isn't what you get in August

Jeff, I'm not out to get you... I was merely responding to your comment with my point of view. I didn't ignore your views...

I'm not trying to paint you as a hater or anything...

Edited by charlie1223

It's really fascinating to watch people passing judgement on all these corps based on a preseason, poor quality web video

Geez - corps are still learning drill

Rewrites to come! And people are talking about balancing with the pit, staging, transitions, and writing various corps and/or programs off

Too funny!

Usually by late July things become clear... sit tight and enjoy folks - season is about to BEGIN :)

• Like 2

You're not crazy. But neither am I for not liking it.

And it's not even that I don't like it. I just don't really care about it. Brass, percussion, guard... all can be slammin. Visual can be mind-blowing. But the overall concept just doesn't grab me at all right now. I'm probably one of the larger Cadet "homers" on here, but I feel like this season, they're giving me a year off from stressing about where they place, because I really don't care.

I can already tell that this is going to be one of the least played Cadets shows on my iTunes. Not because it's bad or cheesy. Just because the concept and source material isn't what I want to hear year round. I'll watch them, and applaud, and if they place high, great. If not, great.

I think there are other much more intriguing program ideas out there that have some pretty heavy hitters performing them that will be vying for the title come August though.

It is disappointing to hear that from you chaddyt! Obviously Cadets winning a championship has kept you quite satisfied...

But it's okay because I'm a pretty big Cadets homer myself and I'll make up for it.

Cadets, keep spreading the Christmas cheer and make others believe! :thumbup::tongue:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

It's really fascinating to watch people passing judgement on all these corps based on a preseason, poor quality web video

For some they are passing judgement on simply the theme and source material.

If I didn't know better that sounds like people's responses to BD in years past except now it's to the other extreme... FAMILIAR MELODIC MUSIC SOURCES... :rolleyes:

Edited by charlie1223