CADETS NNJ DEBUT

Me too. :smile:

I like that I hear complete musical thoughts and phrases.

I'm looking forward to the Sevierville show to get a good look at this live. :thumbs-up:

It just bothers me a little that I don't hear enough aggression in the opener. Yeah I know, Carol of the Bells is not really "aggressive", but Christmas is not really a show that I think should follow a show like Angels and Demons, from a design standpoint. I really hope Cadets make me eat my words.

It just bothers me a little that I don't hear enough aggression in the opener. Yeah I know, Carol of the Bells is not really "aggressive", but Christmas is not really a show that I think should follow a show like Angels and Demons, from a design standpoint. I really hope Cadets make me eat my words.

Didn't Colts 1993 also play Carol of Bells ( & God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Do You Hear What I Hear) as their opener and the reprise ( Thanks Chuck!!!)?

The Four Seasons - Winter * A Thousand Summers * Summertime (from Porgy and Bess) * The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter * Reprise

Around 1:04-1:10 & 4:04 was some of it...

Sorry, anyone with Fan Network can see the opener... That was Carol of the Bells with aggression...

Edited by jjeffeory

Watched the video...4.5 minutes 'Carol of Bells'? What were they thinking? The theme repeats over and over. I though after the intro that would be it. 'Jingle Bells' swings pretty good and drill looks pretty outrageous. Loved the guard feature at the end. What happened to the ballad? Closer sounds pretty hot. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but so far I am not looking forward to hearing this show over and over again. I hope the visual program will elevate the music. I am hoping my mind will be changed when I see them on 6/18

I live in NNJ so was thrilled to have a WC corps perform anything near me after a long winter of spectulation.

Rain held off and a crowd of a few hundred fans, alumni came out to see Cadets.

A few brief observations/impressions:

1. New white uniforms look majestic, classy and give the corps a fresh wintery look for their 12.25 show. GUARD uniforms not in yet

so they were in black bodysuits with bright yellow silks.

2. MUSIC- relax all, it is the best music they've played in years. They did a wonderful job of deconstructing Christmas tunes and

rearranging in a CADETS/DRUMCORPS way. BTW, this show is not CADETS-LITE, it is aggressive,frenzied,fast in CAROL OF THE BELLS, JINGLE

BELLS is a wild swing tune/production,Ballad is beautiful and Closer is typical fast paced Cadet sprint to the end.

3. BRASS- loudess Cadet brass I've heard in a long time. Not sure if its the arranging, members or staging or all three but they

play really well for this time of year.

4. VISUAL-too low of stands to tell.

5. PERCUSSION- not a percussion guy but I know the pit was outstanding.

6. GUARD- sorry but was watching and listening to brass

7. performed up to half way through ballad and stopped. (they have 2 min to still learn). Played closer in semicircle,arranging is

just wonderful.

OVERALL

I really enjoyed them and no cheese!!! They should be in the mix come August.

• Like 1

I live in NNJ so was thrilled to have a WC corps perform anything near me after a long winter of spectulation.

Rain held off and a crowd of a few hundred fans, alumni came out to see Cadets.

A few brief observations/impressions:

1. New white uniforms look majestic, classy and give the corps a fresh wintery look for their 12.25 show. GUARD uniforms not in yet

so they were in black bodysuits with bright yellow silks.

2. MUSIC- relax all, it is the best music they've played in years. They did a wonderful job of deconstructing Christmas tunes and

rearranging in a CADETS/DRUMCORPS way. BTW, this show is not CADETS-LITE, it is aggressive,frenzied,fast in CAROL OF THE BELLS, JINGLE

BELLS is a wild swing tune/production,Ballad is beautiful and Closer is typical fast paced Cadet sprint to the end.

3. BRASS- loudess Cadet brass I've heard in a long time. Not sure if its the arranging, members or staging or all three but they

play really well for this time of year.

4. VISUAL-too low of stands to tell.

5. PERCUSSION- not a percussion guy but I know the pit was outstanding.

6. GUARD- sorry but was watching and listening to brass

7. performed up to half way through ballad and stopped. (they have 2 min to still learn). Played closer in semicircle,arranging is

just wonderful.

OVERALL

I really enjoyed them and no cheese!!! They should be in the mix come August.

Thank you for your review. You said everything I would have said. I've been on tour with the Cadets since we left Allentown on Thursday. The corps is very good and I believe everyone, including the skeptics about a Christmas theme show, will be pleasantly pleased how well this show is done. Right now the Cadets are nestled in the Pennsylvania mountains putting the final touches on their 12.25 production. The first show is Saturday and Cadets will be marching a complete show. Until then ladies and gentlemen let me be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 3

A Christmas themed drum corps show is uncharted territory? No, not really. I like what I see from Cadets so far though (minus the "Oh yea" samples in the show which do not sound good)... thumbup.gif

Bridgemen 1985: Christmas in July * Come on Baby Dance with Me * Imagination

Phantom Regiment 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAs3HsGPdw8

A couple of my all-time favorite rim shots.....one at 00:49 and the one at 1:00 awesome.

• Like 1

I think I'm hearing 'surgical' in the opener. Maybe not the aggressive style of opener peeps are used to but as the visual cleans up the music will make more sense I'm thinking. The horn line pushes the pedal down later in the show so it doesn't bother me much.

I think you'll love this show by the end of the season. :smile:

• Like 1

Watched the video...4.5 minutes 'Carol of Bells'? What were they thinking? The theme repeats over and over. I though after the intro that would be it. 'Jingle Bells' swings pretty good and drill looks pretty outrageous. Loved the guard feature at the end. What happened to the ballad? Closer sounds pretty hot. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but so far I am not looking forward to hearing this show over and over again. I hope the visual program will elevate the music. I am hoping my mind will be changed when I see them on 6/18

I think you are going to see a handful of re-writes in the opener.

It is going to be fun watching this show evolve over the course of the season.....

• Like 1

I thought the great Ian Grom arranged the Front Ensemble book. I'll check Cadet's site.

Iain Moyer is the main arranger for The Cadets

Ian Grom deals with the arrangements also but more in the electronic/synth capacity.

And yes their names are spelled differently

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Well technically the middle of the opener isn't Carol of the Bells. The melody is "Sing we now of Christmas". So more like 4 minutes of Carol of the Bells :D

But, I don't mind the repeated pattern because Jay is a master arranger and constantly changes it up.

Edited by charlie1223