Who's Finished

George Hopkins has a well thought out post on FB today that

The Cadets show is not finished. I applaud him for not risking the kids saftey.

Last year at least one of the DCA corps got beat up pretty bad on DCP for not having a complete show. Probably took a pretty bad hit by the judges too. My personal thoughs are I would rather see a incomplete program done semi cleanly rather than a complete show that is dirty as hell.

So the question is..... Who is finished this year?

the flip side is I ve watched and worked with people who could care less about being done, no rush, the end is what matters, which is true but, people also pay to see your program....charge 1/2 price then in the beginning. I wouldnt go see a movie or a braodway show 1/2 done....I totally get why these things happen BUT how many use the time to their benefit. ALSO.....NOONE should be given the benefit of the doubt just because who they are. IF someone isnt done, a judge should not be a mind reader on what it will eventually be.......I get when someone arent done BUT the score should reflect it...If that were the case you would bet more would be more prepared.

Edited by GUARDLING

.I get when someone isnt done BUT the score should reflect it...If that were the case you would bet more would be more prepared.

I personally think that corps do take a hit from the judges with a incomplete show. I think judges want to see the complete package and judge it based on the content rather than the execution. At least early in the season.

In 2009 I had the pleasure of seeing two top 5 DCA corps early in the season at the Bridgeport, CT show. I thought to myself OMG they look like they are going to fall apart on the last chart and almost did. They both had members stepping out of the line at times not knowing their spots and members falling and tripping on each other.

I thought to myself that the only possible reason to put on that part of the show was to play to the judges because any half decent drum corps fan that was sitting in the audience had to be thinking how painful and bad that the execution of it was.

Good points about the paying fans getting their moneys worth and watching a complete show. Had not really thought about that.

I personally think that corps do take a hit from the judges with a incomplete show. I think judges want to see the complete package and judge it based on the content rather than the execution. At least early in the season.

In 2009 I had the pleasure of seeing two top 5 DCA corps early in the season at the Bridgeport, CT show. I thought to myself OMG they look like they are going to fall apart on the last chart and almost did. They both had members stepping out of the line at times not knowing their spots and members falling and tripping on each other.

I thought to myself that the only possible reason to put on that part of the show was to play to the judges because any half decent drum corps fan that was sitting in the audience had to be thinking how painful and bad that the execution of it was.

Good points about the paying fans getting their moneys worth and watching a complete show. Had not really thought about that.

DCA is a little ( alot ) different than DCI . I do think youre right DCA will reflect it...more than DCI

DCA is a little ( alot ) different than DCI . I do think youre right DCA will reflect it...more than DCI

I don't want to seem like I am bashing ANY of the corps early as I understand the dynamics involved with the part time rehearsal schedule and demands of the shows and how it is reflected on the sheets.

BUT.

There comes a time and place for everything. I personally think if its not yet ready for public consumption it needs to be left on the practice field.

At the 2009 Bridgeport show the lower tier corps that tried to do a complete show looked REALLY bad. I thought to myself this looks like a bad rehersal run at the end of a long weekend.

Clint Eastwood had it right. A man has to know his limitations.

I don't want to seem like I am bashing ANY of the corps early as I understand the dynamics involved with the part time rehearsal schedule and demands of the shows and how it is reflected on the sheets.

BUT.

There comes a time and place for everything. I personally think if its not yet ready for public consumption it needs to be left on the practice field.

At the 2009 Bridgeport show the lower tier corps that tried to do a complete show looked REALLY bad. I thought to myself this looks like a bad rehersal run at the end of a long weekend.

Clint Eastwood had it right. A man has to know his limitations.

agree..but as I said score does need to reflect it..

Kilts are done; finished up Memorial Day weekend. With a limited rehearsal schedule, for a lot of corps, if one gets hit with a bad weather weekend.......BAM, you're behind. Nature of the beast. Full touring DCI corps can make up the time for bad weather; open age DCA corps(?)..not so much!

• Like 1

agree..but as I said score does need to reflect it..

Ive seen it go both ways.

Ive heard judges on tape say things to the effect of "wanting to hear complete show" or " will be happy to see the show complete". Ive seen a lower score than expected on shows that were incomplete.

Ive also seen incomplete shows that were well executed get higher marks for execution even though they were incomplete.

Ive seen it go both ways.

Ive heard judges on tape say things to the effect of "wanting to hear complete show" or " will be happy to see the show complete". Ive seen a lower score than expected on shows that were incomplete.

Ive also seen incomplete shows that were well executed get higher marks for execution even though they were incomplete.

YEPP

Also, remember it was only 12 months ago that many were slamming Cabs and others for not coming out ready or being prepard compared to Bucs and probablly rightfully so BUT ( and we'll see if theres a double standard ) If Bucs didnt come put ready in comparison I would hope score would reflect it for them also...Now could a corps not finished be that much better than 1 that is...of course.