Cadets 2012

How odd it was when I saw this in Orlando... the soloists are playing to a microphone instead of the crowd... :(

I have heard that the corps do this for the acoustics of a dome... along with other reasons. Orlando had no dome. I noticed several other people in the crowd looking at each other during these moments wondering WTF.

Ugh.

It's just another way to tick us long time fans off. They seem obsessed with it. Any wonder why so many stay home?

How odd it was when I saw this in Orlando... the soloists are playing to a microphone instead of the crowd... :(

I have heard that the corps do this for the acoustics of a dome... along with other reasons. Orlando had no dome. I noticed several other people in the crowd looking at each other during these moments wondering WTF.

Ugh.

I was also at the Orlando show and actually thought the use of mics was very well received. It might've been the younger generation, but there was audible screaming and clapping on the high sustains. I made a mental note it because I was expecting the consensus to be an awkward reception.

While I have not heard a formal explanation, musically it would make sense to mic up a soloist to open up arranging possibilities. At triple forte, there's not much one or two soloists can do (in a contrapuntal sense) to balance unless the form of the piece facilitated in such a way. Not to mention this would not be practical for the player's chops on a day to day basis. I'm not saying that this is 'better' than the acoustic days! Just that if I'm a brass arranger, I'd appreciate the possibility of having one more trick to employ.

It's just another way to tick us long time fans off. They seem obsessed with it. Any wonder why so many stay home?

Yes, I'm pretty sure at that first meeting last September, ways to tick off the fans was discussed at length.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm pretty sure at that first meeting last September, ways to tick off the fans was discussed at length.

You mean Hoppy spoke in that meeting?

OH...MY....GOD!!!!

The video does it no justice. It's 10X better live.

Cadets should add big panels on the back of the field (ala 96) that have blue/white/snowflake on the front, but get turned around during the ballad (on) to all white. Guard unis should switch to all white for back half of show. Ramps can stay put reposition them either back field (in front of the panels) or up front. Re-stage ballad to push toward audience - wedge to a cross as it builds. These changes and they'll be right back in the thick of things

I would have personally liked a more "Frenzied" approach to the second tune but maybe that's just me.

Good program this year!

Cadets should add big panels on the back of the field (ala 96) that have blue/white/snowflake on the front, but get turned around during the ballad (on) to all white. Guard unis should switch to all white for back half of show. Ramps can stay put reposition them either back field (in front of the panels) or up front. Re-stage ballad to push toward audience - wedge to a cross as it builds. These changes and they'll be right back in the thick of things

I would have personally liked a more "Frenzied" approach to the second tune but maybe that's just me.

Good program this year!

When were they out of the thick of things??

I see why they play to the endzone in the ballad, given that they wanted the ramps there for whatever reason. But, I don't see anything wrong with turning upper body toward the front at some point during that standstill climax - could actually be pretty cool. Wouldn't have to worry about it if they had just the ramps backfield, but maybe they decided they wanted to use that whole area for drill, and if they decided they truly wanted to play to the endzone for the reverb/echo in a proper stadium.

I really like the show - but I'm not digging the guard uniform. The music itself is very reverential / dark / glorious and I'm not sure the guard outfits portray the theme musically - especially in the beginning of the show. I could see them wearing it for Jingle Bells - but that's about it. To me it's seems as if the guard uniform doesn't tie into the music stylistically. I thought they'd be in whites / silvers / icy blues - not gift wrapping presents.

Later,

Mike

I said the same in my Orlando review. I think that is a missed opportunity right now. Am still holding out hope that there might be some guard costume changes in store at some point. The present suits work with the music in about 1/3 of the show right now, and seem out of character for the rest of it. Fingers crossed!