Cadets 2012

Uh..... Brass scores in Westchester? What gives? Judge is a bit looney I think.

Big WTF there. Though, they were a point behind Crown at Charlotte, too. To my ears, it's the high brass -- they've been relatively weak with a lot of individual issues.

Uh..... Brass scores in Westchester? What gives? Judge is a bit looney I think.

I thought so too looking at the recap...made some comments in the Westchester thread about the Cavies/Cadets spreads leading up to last night...like a 2-point swing in 2 days! :huh2:

However...having said what I said in the other thread...I did not think that last night was the Cadets best brass performance night. I can see SCV over them by a couple of tenths...but for me...and just as an impression, not really digging in to the brass like the guy on the field...I don't see such a huge brass gap between SCV/Cadets and Crown, and IMO BK were underscored a bit as well....and undscored a LOT in ensemble.

Ok - sat on the 50 at the show

IMO about a 0.5-0.8 point gap between Crown and Cadets (in brass)

SCV (should have been) about another 0.5 back from Cadets - big gap there (in brass)

Cavies (should have been) another 1 point (or more) back from SCV - HUGE gap there (in brass)

BK had a lot of ensemble tears and the brass was pretty weak and ragged throughout, personally I would have put Crossmen way over them.

Odd night of judging

Would have had it:

Crown 93.8ish

Cadets 92.7ish

SCV 91.0ish

Cavaliers 87ish

Crossmen 82ish

BK 81ish

Surf 76 or so

Good night of drum corps though!

Edited by George Dixon

He obviously heard (or didn't hear) something everyone else didn't. I figured maybe they forgot about the changes in the show and started playing different stuff to score at that level.

George seems fairly frustrated with the corps. They seem to have good practices, but too many individuals not completely focused during performance. After West Chester:

"Good not great again . Perhaps they are saving it for Allentown? Guard better - brass not their best - percussion tossed a few ticks.

It's a bit of a dilemma - we can't seem to get on all cylinders at the same time since Atlanta.

It is difficult what we ask - demands even in a Christmas show are excessive .

But I do expect more. I want them to expect more . And at the end of the day - we need to leave no stone unturned.

In a season that has not had a ton of great performances I want for every student - their very very best"

Psychological focus is such a big part of this activity and usually the Cadets seem to do this well. Wonder what isn't "clicking"?

According to Allison, last night was the best show of the season. No word that I've seen from George on it. I really wanted to see them get on the other side of 93. I'm glad Santa Clara is still over a point behind, but it still seems like a dead heat with Regiment. Nice competition!