Cadets 2012

Anytime the audience can connect to a show, that's a good thing! I believe more people are going to LIKE this show than NOT. The Cadets have a very good percussion line, brassline, and color guard. As their performance level goes up so will their GE marks. This show has much room for growth and changes. Expect this show to finish in the top three; where? Your guess is as good as mine.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Hey Irving! Nice running into you in CT last year. Are you on the road with the corps this year? Will you be doing your updates from the road again? Sure hope so!!!

• Like 1

The Cadets are now Christmas doctors??!!! But that's unpossible... :tongue:

All I'm saying is there is a lot the audience hasn't seen yet. You want to see more and get it as it happens? Go volunteer with the Cadets they are always looking for food volunteers and drivers.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Hey Irving! Nice running into you in CT last year. Are you on the road with the corps this year? Will you be doing your updates from the road again? Sure hope so!!!

I was on the road with the Cadets from June 7 - 24. I did do a daily blog but it was only posted on the "Cadets Volunteer" facebook page. It is not a private group. I return back on tour Atlanta to the end.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

HIs point is in reference to how the costumes work with the different tones of the show. They are great for Jingle Bells and probably the closer, but the opener is more wintery and mysterious and "Do You Hear" is all about faith and reverence. They would be the equivalent of playing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" as a hymn in a Christmas Eve church service. The song is technically seasonal, but it works for some parts of the holiday and not others.

George mentioned on FB some time ago that they will have walls across the front and the back, so I really expect another costume change is coming, once they have something to change behind. These people are too smart not to be aware of the visual disconnect, and I can't imagine they aren't hearing the same from the judges.

thanks John - that's exactly what I meant. The music isn't your typical "Christmas stuck in a mall" music - but the guard costume is. To me - the music and the guard outfit don't mesh well - it's like they're telling 2 different stories.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

HIs point is in reference to how the costumes work with the different tones of the show. They are great for Jingle Bells and probably the closer, but the opener is more wintery and mysterious and "Do You Hear" is all about faith and reverence. They would be the equivalent of playing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" as a hymn in a Christmas Eve church service. The song is technically seasonal, but it works for some parts of the holiday and not others.

George mentioned on FB some time ago that they will have walls across the front and the back, so I really expect another costume change is coming, once they have something to change behind. These people are too smart not to be aware of the visual disconnect, and I can't imagine they aren't hearing the same from the judges.

So would they be changing into a wintry uniform for the opener, then changing into the "gifts" uniform for jingle bells, then changing back into a wintry uniform for the ballad, then back into the "gifts" uniform for the closer? Hell, I'm a horn guy so what do I know, but it sounds like too many uniform changes.

Edited by 2000Cadet

So would they be changing into a wintry uniform for the opener, then changing into the "gifts" uniform for jingle bells, then changing back into a wintry uniform for the ballad, then back into the "gifts" uniform for the closer? Hell, I'm a horn guy so what do I know, but it sounds like too many uniform changes.

Hmm...the guard could start out wearing about five velcro-tabbed costumes, and as the show progressed do quick removals as appropriate for the music...

Of course, at the start of the show they'd look like Frosty the Sno.... hey!!! maybe they could add that tune to the show! It would be theme-appropriate! :tongue:

As long as the last costume is not velcro-tabbed, or they would be jingling more than bells. :lookaround:

The Cadets guard coming on the field...

snowman-pictures.jpg

• Like 1

Presents were meant to be opened :cool:

first time I saw them I thought of.....

And the people that you meet

Want to open you up like Christmas

You gotta wrap your fuzzy in a big red bow

ain't no sum ##### gonna treat me like a ho

I think they should bring back the flag poles that have a hidden flag on the inside ... and then unviel new flags when they are in the christmas tree formation so that there could be a burst of color there ... like ornaments/lights on a tree ... cheesy maybe, but hey it worked before and had a sort of wow/huh factor...

the guard costumes remind me of "santa's elves" at the mall christmas photo set ... I wonder about headgear on the guard ... hopefully there are not big bows coming to top off those package costumes!

I just noticed this is the first time in 5 years Cadets didn't end their show in a company front. FINALLY!!! :devil:

Well, as they say.....It's June !!!! There's still time for rewrites :smile: