George Hopkins

More members increases lifetime DCI income. That level of participation leads to a long relationshp with the activity.

Why not let corps try it? It might only be 2 or 3 and if they're not effective or successful it will go away.

why not let the corps that want to try it be bold and not need DCI to support them while they experiement...like Star did.

Yes, and excluding half your core audience from participating is great marketing awareness.

DCI's core audience are not high school band WW players. DCI's core audience are former marching members who bring their family and friends. That has been DCI's primary mistake. And going after some phantom demographic, which would utterly change what DCI is, is not a core audience. It is entirely a gamble, and would eliminate whatever Unique Selling Proposition DCI has left. As a marketing/advertising guy, I love USP's. It makes it easier to sell and recruit. I, however, DO NOT like homogenized parity products. Like toothpaste. And deodorant. And DCI once you let WW's in.

And, you know, some on here are WW players who learned how to play brass because they wanted to be in a DCI corps.

Edited by atlvalet
  • Like 1

The decline of the activity in the past several years has much more to do with the economy rather than the instrumentation on the field, in my opinion.

While I agree with you as the majority of the problem, the rest of the problem is a direct result of lack of marketing and not listening to your core fan base, you cant build a house if your foundation is shaky.

Geoffrey

Yes, and excluding half your core audience from participating is great marketing awareness.

you're right. how dare football not include baseball players

The decline of the activity in the past several years has much more to do with the economy rather than the instrumentation on the field, in my opinion.

except the decline began while the economy was in a boom.

go figure

Gee...the brass and percussion players are against it...very strange.

yet woodwind players who learned how to play brass filled it out...and didn't want to do it.

DCI has been having woodiwnd events at I&E for years now. Many woodwinds march drum corps playing different instruments, yet those I&E categories arent exactly over flowing with participants