George Hopkins

DCI is a homogenized product now. Permitting any instruments makes it less homogenized.

and loses more paying customers

They have real jobs and would clog up openings for new performers. Look the core principles are staying the same - young people, marching arts, some sort of summer tour, high level of performance, creative and effective show design...instrumentation is not a fundamental change to me, it's an obvious easy fix to expand membership base.

except every attempt to create groups to let woodwinds in as part of DCI tanked.

You like George fail to see one thing...those that fail to learn from the past are doomed to make the same mistakes

except every attempt to create groups to let woodwinds in as part of DCI tanked.

You like George fail to see one thing...those that fail to learn from the past are doomed to make the same mistakes

No legitimate proposals have been made because not enough corps directors will vote for it.

the recent one? 2006. but DCI had been losing fans on a steady basis really picking up in the mid 90s.

So, if the decline started sometime before the early 90s, Bbs, amps, and electronics can not be pointed at as the problem. So what led to the declining numbers back then?

you mean like the diminishing Fan base of DCI?

Those that see the fading popularity of an activity and do nothing to change or alter it, only pushes it further down the course it's heading.

Look, I don't want woodwinds as much as the next guy, but I'd rather a DCI style band than nothing. And why must we crucify a person who is trying to come up with ideas to prolong the end of the activity, even if you don't agree with their ideas? At least he is doing something about it. I dont see you or the majority of people on these forums doing anything.

• Like 2

Something got lost here... the problem isn't getting more members to sign (we've been repeatedly told that "hundreds" are turned away each year), the problem is getting the audience to stay put (y'know, the people paying to see the performance).

While adding woodwinds might attract some new members into the drum corps scene, you would most definitely lose more audience than you'd gain. For those that want a fully-instrumented marching band experience, there are tons of alternatives available (as has also been pointed out repeatedly). The only reason I can see anyone deliberately wanting to change the only unique aspect left to drum corps would be because they are already heavily vested (or invested) in the BOA arena.

It is precisely the difference that makes (made?) drum corps appealing. It was the pulse-pounding percussion, the face-melting brass, the POWER exhibited that originally attracted people to the shows. Not woodwinds, not electronics, not amps. It was loud, rowdy arrangements full of sizzling riffs and runs.

For every one that says there "is no difference" between drum corps and marching bands (HS or collegiate), there are two that says "yes, there is a difference". Have your best college band play a set, then have a corps play the same set... and even your Average Joe would immediately know and feel the difference.

• Like 3

Something got lost here... the problem isn't getting more members to sign (we've been repeatedly told that "hundreds" are turned away each year), the problem is getting the audience to stay put (y'know, the people paying to see the performance).

While adding woodwinds might attract some new members into the drum corps scene, you would most definitely lose more audience than you'd gain. For those that want a fully-instrumented marching band experience, there are tons of alternatives available (as has also been pointed out repeatedly). The only reason I can see anyone deliberately wanting to change the only unique aspect left to drum corps would be because they are already heavily vested (or invested) in the BOA arena.

It is precisely the difference that makes (made?) drum corps appealing. It was the pulse-pounding percussion, the face-melting brass, the POWER exhibited that originally attracted people to the shows. Not woodwinds, not electronics, not amps. It was loud, rowdy arrangements full of sizzling riffs and runs.

For every one that says there "is no difference" between drum corps and marching bands (HS or collegiate), there are two that says "yes, there is a difference". Have your best college band play a set, then have a corps play the same set... and even your Average Joe would immediately know and feel the difference.

not that Im not agreeing BUT ever look up why people love those things you mentioned? It has little to do with likes or dislikes but everything to do with a part of the brain thats triggered..lol...ok Im not nuts..lol..maybe a little.....lol

But its true..look it up...very interesting....also it will tell you its the reason marching bands in the service were formed, the loudness( and other things ) trigger a group response which in tern merged peoples thoughts and emotions together.....interesting stuff................sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread

If I remember the recording I think George says he doesn't want woodwinds for the design aspect. he even said he likes it the way it is. He sees DCI as an opportunity to influence young people's lives positively and I think adding woodwinds to him as an opportunity to expand on that initiative. "going all out" on their commitment to marching music performance and education.

I would think that George also wants DCI to be extremely entertaining and please the audience. However, I think he is definetly more willing to make "drastic" changes that he think will be sustain DCI and marching music in the future.

If woodwinds are added I would want DCI to be even more entertaining in all aspects. If its more entertaining then it would be alright... I guess..

• Like 2

not that Im not agreeing BUT ever look up why people love those things you mentioned? It has little to do with likes or dislikes but everything to do with a part of the brain thats triggered..lol...ok Im not nuts..lol..maybe a little.....lol

But its true..look it up...very interesting....also it will tell you its the reason marching bands in the service were formed, the loudness( and other things ) trigger a group response which in tern merged peoples thoughts and emotions together.....interesting stuff................sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread

Science!

(where has that thread been btw??)