Phantomettes

To get even more far fetched, yet relatively timely (à la Miss.Universe pageant), I wonder how an all-male corps or all-female colorguard would handle the situation if someone transgendered chose to audition (and was brilliant). I wonder if they would accept them.

edit: I wonder if the auditionee would even mention it?

/far fetched comments

I would say 99.999% percent of people could care less about that. It would only be an internal problem if the person lied about their status if they were caught.

Count me in as someone who hopes they stay with the tradition. I was sceptical at first, but watching the guard has changed my opinion.

One thing I've noticed with Co-ed guards is that quite often its the guys who get the rifles and the girls who get the sabres. Last year had me wondering if we'd ever see rifles again. I'm glad to see them being used this year.

I love the look they have with the red uniforms and gold-colored crown on their head!

Firstly I'd like to state that I enjoyed Phantom's show.

But that being said...don't be thrown off!! They don't have an all-girl guard this year. They were just very smart about not having a zillion males audition for the one male guard spot that was open....by making the one male guard member's uniform and equipment look unmistakably the same as a hornline member!!! :silly::laugh:

All male works for Cavies & Madison, all female works for PR. Co-ed works for the rest.

get over yourselves.

• Like 3

To play (an opinionated) devil's advocate:

I believe having an all-female colorguard in a corps that is co-ed is not 'fair'. I was searching for a word other than fair, but couldn't think of one.

Of course it offers an overall different vibe and I think either way, the guard will be talented. However limiting a co-ed corps to an only female guard is forcing young men who have always dreamed of performing there, to audition somewhere else. The fact being 'we are only auditioning females' seems unfair to me.

As someone who dances, why would I not want to be with one of the most 'graceful' colorguards of the activity. A little far fetched, but it is the same as saying 'we are only going to audition those who weigh in at 110lbs or less'

What do you think?

I like to watch Woman that dance more than watch Men that dance...so thats just me. So even though life is not always fair, I'll accept what Phantom Regiment is doing with their guard this year. I like watching this Corps perform on the field just as they have decided too this year. I really don't see the issue here.

Edited by BRASSO

I believe having an all-female colorguard in a corps that is co-ed is not 'fair'. I was searching for a word other than fair, but couldn't think of one.

Of course it offers an overall different vibe and I think either way, the guard will be talented. However limiting a co-ed corps to an only female guard is forcing young men who have always dreamed of performing there, to audition somewhere else. The fact being 'we are only auditioning females' seems unfair to me.

As someone who dances, why would I not want to be with one of the most 'graceful' colorguards of the activity. A little far fetched, but it is the same as saying 'we are only going to audition those who weigh in at 110lbs or less'

What do you think?

Fair has less to do with it than tradition. The best guards that PR ever put out were all-female (with the possible exception of 08). Regiment is one of the few premier groups that is actually trying to maintain SOME of their traditional roots, and it works for them.

The ladies on the guard are not all "110lbs or less" either, by the way. Truly, some are. But the average guard member now is about 5'6 and likely closer to 140ish lbs or so.

What do you think?

I think if the corps hadn't brought in male guard members a few years ago, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

The issue of "fair" or "unfair" isn't relevant when an organization gets to set its own criteria to enhance the theme of its show. Several years ago, the Pride of Cincinnati winter guard went all male for a show about Alcatraz. Themes happen.

If this seems unfair to you, there may be very little in life in the future that does seem fair.

You want to know what's unfair? Lady Gaga won't return my phone calls. (But then, neither will Betty White and at least Lady Gaga hasn't taken out a restraining order...yet.)