City Sound Drum & Bugle Corps

So every Friday, DCI's website does an article with corps news and annoucements, and just now reading through the one from last Friday, I saw a posting for Cit Sound Drum & Bugle Corps. On their website it says they are from Los Angeles, but DCI has them as being from Long Beach, CA... :huh:

Checking out their website, though, seems like they're doing pretty well for their first year. They're listed on some of the shows on DCIs schedule, but not listed as going to prelims. Anyone know if its definite that they're not going? :blink:

Also, does anyone know of any new corps still under evaluation? I know the season has already started, but I don't know how late into a season DCI will approve a corps and still allow that corps to compete in the season... :lookaround:

So every Friday, DCI's website does an article with corps news and annoucements, and just now reading through the one from last Friday, I saw a posting for Cit Sound Drum & Bugle Corps. On their website it says they are from Los Angeles, but DCI has them as being from Long Beach, CA... :huh:

Checking out their website, though, seems like they're doing pretty well for their first year. They're listed on some of the shows on DCIs schedule, but not listed as going to prelims. Anyone know if its definite that they're not going? :blink:

Also, does anyone know of any new corps still under evaluation? I know the season has already started, but I don't know how late into a season DCI will approve a corps and still allow that corps to compete in the season... :lookaround:

Northern Thunder stated it correctly, they started 4 years ago and already passed the evaluation.

Additionally, Los Angeles is one of those towns that's comprised of about 80 different smaller towns...so Long Beach being a part of Los Angeles could be the reason why you see what appears to be an inconsistent thread of information. Most open class corps in southern california will move around for rehearsal spots, depending on the location (school, park, etc), the dates that the location is available, and the dates that move-ins actually occur. So I agree, although a corps' main office may be at one address, the rehearsal/camp locations are most likely to be somewhere in that county, given that most(i.e. those not linked with a WC) Open Class Corps do not have a rehearsal facility of their own.

Glad to see the return of inner-city Drum Corps! I've been watching information for these corps and I like the idea behind what their doing. Their website... the biggest case I've seen on why FLASH is evil. Regardless, bringining Drum Corps back to the inner city means you can have more neighborhood focused groups that can recruit from a consistent membership pool. Also, it potentially brings DCI from being an expensive option for musical and personal development to something affordable and accesible by all. I think it's a fan and member base that has in the current state of affairs is ignored possibly due to lack of funds.

• Like 1