The Five Judge Panel

What's up with the different 5-judge panels at different shows? Akron and Louisville had full panels. But the shows since then have been five judges.

All have had two Effect judges and two Analysis judges. But the 5th judge has been different.

AZ and NM shows had a Visual Proficiency judge (no Brass, Guard, or Perc).

TN and MI shows had a Brass judge (no Visual Proficiency, Guard, or Perc).

Why? Will there be some kind of rotation of the 5th judge at these smaller non-regional shows? Doesn't this skew the score towards a particular caption? (i.e. having a brass judge as part of the panel probably helps a corps like Crown at the Tennessee show, but had a Percussion judge been on the panel, it would have probably hurt them).

If we're trying to save costs by flying fewer judges out to smaller shows, why not just have a 4 judge panel of Effect and Analysis only? At least that way, the overall score isn't skewed towards a particular caption that may be a strength or weakness for the competing corps. Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

by using 5 judges the total max scores from the judges equals 100, if you only used 4 judges the system wouldn't really work.

I believe they will only do the 5 judges through June.

The first two shows both had full panels.

What's up with the different 5-judge panels at different shows? Akron and Louisville had full panels. But the shows since then have been five judges.

All have had two Effect judges and two Analysis judges. But the 5th judge has been different.

Why? Will there be some kind of rotation of the 5th judge at these smaller non-regional shows? Doesn't this skew the score towards a particular caption? (i.e. having a brass judge as part of the panel probably helps a corps like Crown at the Tennessee show, but had a Percussion judge been on the panel, it would have probably hurt them).

If we're trying to save costs by flying fewer judges out to smaller shows, why not just have a 4 judge panel of Effect and Analysis only? At least that way, the overall score isn't skewed towards a particular caption that may be a strength or weakness for the competing corps. Am I missing something here?

I had the same question. With all the talk about corps needing to be ready by the first show, it would seem to me that DCI would ensure all judges are able to judge all shows.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Yes.

You will see Brass, Perc, Guard and Vis Perf judges rotated into the small panel shows.

At least -- that's what happened last season

Yes.

You will see Brass, Perc, Guard and Vis Perf judges rotated into the small panel shows.

At least -- that's what happened last season

and it seems to work out well. In fact, I like the rotation if having the smaller panel, because then you get all 3 captions addressed, just not all at the same time....it allows time for bigger picture issues to be addressed.

face it, everyone has dirt at field level early. do you need to hear 3 days in a row from a drum judge or a brass judges about certain things? No, because right now, you're going after the big picture items. But hearing drum stuff every 3 days can be beneficial, and the same with brass and visual.

The Phantom Regiment daily Calendar has a listing of judges and captions for each show. Just go to their website, click on the calendar on the upper left. Then on the calendar for a particular show click on the show city heading. A popup then lists the show information including the site address, performance schedule, and judge panel. The upcoming Stanford show lists a full judge panel.

This is very convenient location for all this information - don't know about all other corps websites, but it would be nice to have all this info available.

http://www.regiment.org/calendar/index.cfm

This smaller panel for the first few weeks of tour has been standard practice for the past few years. It saves DCI money, the rotation of judging ensures that corps get feedback everywhere, but yes it does skew the early scores depending on what captions are being judged.

So, for example, the Mesa recap shows that Phantom has more of a visual lead over Vanguard than they do a music lead (at least in the effect and analysis categories), so the lack of brass or percussion judges in that show *may* have contributed to the 5.5 point spread from Phantom to Vanguard.

Meanwhile, at the Martin show Crown swept the captions, but one of those was Brass, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cadets had won (or come closer anyway) had that been a percussion judge instead.

The Phantom Regiment daily Calendar has a listing of judges and captions for each show. Just go to their website, click on the calendar on the upper left. Then on the calendar for a particular show click on the show city heading. A popup then lists the show information including the site address, performance schedule, and judge panel. The upcoming Stanford show lists a full judge panel.

This is very convenient location for all this information - don't know about all other corps websites, but it would be nice to have all this info available.

http://www.regiment.org/calendar/index.cfm

Anybody that days DCP posters provide little to no value, here's exhibit A that demonstates to the contrary. Thanks for that info !