Jersey Surf Banana Sticks

Didn't see this discussed and thought it was interesting.

Jersey Surf asks that people participate in their Bridge-mania production by banging banana sticks together in rhythm during their show...

First, what do you think of the banana sticks?

and... second.

Is audience participation in this way a good idea? Are there "better" ways to do this?

Audience participation is fine...it means you're reaching them.

And it's not like it's a new phenom...the crowd "HUH!" in 83 BD "One More Time, Chuck Corea" makes that version MUCH better for me than the previous 2 times it was played and the HUH was not there.

VAAANNNGGGGUUUUAAARRDDD!! started out as audience participation (although it wasn't programmed by SCV for years....the crowd itself started doing it)

And does anyone think the end of 08 Regiment would've been the same intensity if only the corps members were crying out "I AM SPARTACUS!" ??

• Like 1

Audience participation is fine...it means you're reaching them.

And it's not like it's a new phenom...the crowd "HUH!" in 83 BD "One More Time, Chuck Corea" makes that version MUCH better for me than the previous 2 times it was played and the HUH was not there.

VAAANNNGGGGUUUUAAARRDDD!! started out as audience participation (although it wasn't programmed by SCV for years....the crowd itself started doing it)

And does anyone think the end of 08 Regiment would've been the same intensity if only the corps members were crying out "I AM SPARTACUS!" ??

And it's run it's course, IMO.

And for the red mark, see my following post below.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 2

And it's run it's course, IMO.

I think it's pretty cool myself but there are also those who dislike waffles.

• Like 2

Well, the next time you watch their show and all you hear from the people sitting next to you is ""when is it?", "is it coming up?", "here it comes!", (and they still miss it!) maybe you'll change your mind.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

What happens to the Banana Sticks when the show is over? Are people just going to leave them in the stands? They are not recyclabie so the corps should be charged for cleanup by the show sponsors. It is polution plain and simple.

Edited by dcifanforlife

What happens to the Banana Sticks when the show is over? Are people just going to leave them in the stands? They are not recylcable so the corps should be charged for cleanup by the show sponsors. It is polution plain and simple.

Why not? Just a quick google indicates they are made from polyethylene -- easiest plastic to recycle.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1