What year will Finals not be in Indy?

Huh?? I hope I just missed a sarcasm font or something. lol

Maybe I look for the wrong things acoustically, but I like the acoustics.

• Like 1

Talk about Different Strokes.... I CANNOT STAND Allentown! I hated it as a performer too (wish they had turf back then...that elephant grass was awful)

I honestly haven't figured out why DCI East hasn't upgraded to a larger university venue but I guess there are the traditionalists out there. Maybe I'm an oddball here

honestly...a few reasons.

one, lack of venue in the immediate area. No stadium short of going to NJ or Philly would be close, and the costs would be astronomically higher.

two...tradition.

three...Allentown goes all out, and is the home of a corps.

Edited by boxingfred

Man I don't know about y'all but I think Lucas Oil Stadium is an awesome venue. It's so clear acoustically, and not to mention it's FUN to play in.

Heres_a_bunny_with_waffle.png

• Like 2

There is a year in this ten year contract that Finals will not be held in Indy, does anybody know where they will be held? I would suggest a new venue, one I recently visited that would be great is Ames, IA (by Des Moines, IA) at Iowa State University. Great location to pull from larger surrounding areas.

Larger than Indy?... haha!

Indy is a nice city, it's the monotony of going there year after year that's starting to get to me. Prior to Indy, being in different places allowed a sense of adventure for me, even if we went back to some cities multiple times. Plus, yeah, the accoustics are not great in most places.

• Like 1

2008 was 'sposed to be the 1st yr in that facility;

Wasn't finished in time so we marched at Indiana University... If they still count '08, that would make it 2018.

Edited by Low Brass

Maybe I look for the wrong things acoustically, but I like the acoustics.

When I comes to acoustics, I usually look for clarity, which is by far the defining characteristic of "good acoustics". Unless you're right on (inside the 40's), it's pointless to buy tickets. Whereas, in an outdoor stadium, that problem doesn't exist.

Personally, I think Lucas Oil's acoustical deficiencies are exaggerated by its detractors... but, that said, it does have a few significant problems.

The biggest is "Dome Echo". At Finals in 2010, (I think it was) the Bluecoats released this big chord and it echoed, no joke, for at least 5-6 seconds. The echo just went on and on. The backfield curtain has helped some, but created its own problem. The curtain absorbs sound: great for killing echo, but that means it also KILLS and backfield playing. Lucas Oil doesn't have nearly the resonance off the backfield stands as, say, Camp Randall.

For Semis in 2010 I sat way up high on the right 30. The sound didn't travel GREAT, but it was okay. But there were a few points where the acoustics caused definite tears and clashes in what I was supposed to be hearing. For Finals, first row, 50-yard-line. Sounded just fine.

So, if hearing the music is your thing, you definitely want to sit low at Lucas, even moreso than at other stadiums. If visual's your thing, you're definitely going to hear some problems from up high, moreso than at other stadiums I've been to. But I wouldn't consider it a gawd-awful, abject disaster.

• Like 1

Why doesn't DCI request that the roof be open for all of Championships week? I remember when DCI first announced the long term deal in Indy, they said in response to some protesting of the "indoor" aspect that they would make every effort to keep the roof open, only closing it when necessary due to inclement weather. Now, once the long term deal is in effect, the roof is never open for Championships (at least so far).

I always wondered what caused the difference. Anyone know?

• Like 1