What year will Finals not be in Indy?

Yeah...and I remember having to go through a bus parking lot of rain in my uniform to get to our area we had to set up in for retreat. We're not supposed to run in uniform so I jazz ran in uniform. :thumbup:

I did the same thing! Had to stick my plume down the front of my bibs, but it started sliding down my leg when I started jazzing. I did a really cool scissor kick to send it up and out by my foot, then I caught it and kept going.

• Like 1

I think keeping Finals in Indy was supposed to be cost effective, but the West corps have to travel there every year. I think it does a disservice to the corps members not being able to perform at the best venues for Championship week. Imagine Finals in Austin, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, Kansas City (again), or San Diego. I loved my experience in 2000 and 2001. There's so many cool venues to perform in to be stuck in the same place every year.

Plus, what happens when surrounding schools start saying no to housing corps every year?

The conflict wasn't with Lucas Oil Stadium, but with a religious denomination having booked all the downtown hotel rooms for an event. (I'm guessing the event was going to be at the basketball arena, but I never heard that for sure.) That event was then cancelled for whatever reason and the rooms for DCI came open.

I'm sorry to hear that DCI won't be taking a break from Indianapolis. I VERY MUCH liked traveling and seeing different parts of the country before DCI locked Lucas Oil. And the echo inside the stadium is definitely terrible. You can't fix it no matter how many black cloths you drape around the stadium. Plus, honestly, Indianapolis isn't exactly a tourist mecca, esp. if you're from places like California or Florida.

I'd LOVE for DCI to come back out to California! The Rose Bowl isn't the best venue (small seats, shallow viewpoint, poor crowd control, noisy lighting). The lighting, btw, has been fixed. I'd recommend Chargers stadium in San Diego (who WOULDN'T love visiting San Diego?!) or the 49ers stadium up North.

I'm sorry to hear that DCI won't be taking a break from Indianapolis. I VERY MUCH liked traveling and seeing different parts of the country before DCI locked Lucas Oil. And the echo inside the stadium is definitely terrible. You can't fix it no matter how many black cloths you drape around the stadium. Plus, honestly, Indianapolis isn't exactly a tourist mecca, esp. if you're from places like California or Florida.

I'd LOVE for DCI to come back out to California! The Rose Bowl isn't the best venue (small seats, shallow viewpoint, poor crowd control, noisy lighting). The lighting, btw, has been fixed. I'd recommend Chargers stadium in San Diego (who WOULDN'T love visiting San Diego?!) or the 49ers stadium up North.

I don't think it would be feasible for every corps to have the money to make it all the way to California anymore. Many corps are cutting down on their tour mileage to save on travel costs as it is. If finals were to be held in California, I think we would see corps that would not be able to have a full tour then.

Indianapolis was partially chosen because it is a day's drive or less for something like 65% of the country. That is huge in terms of cost for travelers.

Plus, what happens when surrounding schools start saying no to housing corps every year?

Considering numerous Indy area schools have band directors that are also DCI instructors (Richard Saucedo at Carmel, Matt Harloff at Avon, etc.), and considering the huge support the Indy area has ALWAYS provided towards school arts programs, I really don't foresee that happening.

But I will say that Mile High/Invesco/Sports Authority field (whatever you want to call it now) would be an excellent venue to host DCI. Besides the altitude, the stadium is still the most spectacular stadium I've ever played in, and the way the sound wraps around the stadium and exits the stadium is gorgeous. Plus Colorado is the most beautiful state in the lower 48 (yes I'm biased), Denver has an excellent downtown area and nightlife, and Denver International Airport is a very central location for airports in America. The only few problems with hosting DCI Finals in Denver again would be:

1: Denver is a long drive/bus/train/plane ride for most people in the US, and 2: Denver hosts two professional sports teams during the summer - the Rapids (which is a MLS team), and the Outlaws (which is a major league lacrosse team).

Finals WAS held there in 2004. I thought it was a very nice location, only real drawback I recall was traffic jams on the Interstate trying to get to the stadium (IIRC, Saturday wasn't that bad but Thursday and especially Friday were horrific) and some issues with the weather (specifically, as regards the Div. II/III that year).

Finals WAS held there in 2004. I thought it was a very nice location, only real drawback I recall was traffic jams on the Interstate trying to get to the stadium (IIRC, Saturday wasn't that bad but Thursday and especially Friday were horrific) and some issues with the weather (specifically, as regards the Div. II/III that year).

Well I knew that it has been hosted there before, but yeah you're right! Colorado is an emotional wreck, weather wise.

Akron Ohio has a beautiful stadium. I have now seen shows there twice. (this year and 2 years ago, and each time thought it would be ideal or Championships.

Make them bid on it, DCI...! Get a stadium DEAL....!!!

Where are the marketing people with savvy?

We bring MILLIONS into the town we go to!

:-)

• Like 1

Akron Ohio has a beautiful stadium. I have now seen shows there twice. (this year and 2 years ago, and each time thought it would be ideal or Championships.

Make them bid on it, DCI...! Get a stadium DEAL....!!!

Where are the marketing people with savvy?

We bring MILLIONS into the town we go to!

:-)

You don't think they got a deal on this 10 yr contract?