How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

I am not saying i am for WWs..so let me make that clear bfore that debate starts AGAIN..lol

I think the honesty of this last statement argues against the point you try to make about one change being more detrimental than another. Your "line in the sand" may be WWs, for me electronics drove me away for 6 years. I went to Allentown partly for the corps and partly for the social thing. I'm not going this year, maybe next.

Prior to electronics, the only thing that kept me away from drum corps was fatherhood.

This is as ever was for the corps in the lower divisions.

I marched in the Garden State Circuit, a class 'B' circuit back in the day, in 68 and 69, taught two corps there from 76-78, and judged there from 76-80'ish. Nearly empty stands were more the rule than the exception at shows. That is, if we even had stands...more than one show a year was set up in an empty field just so the host corps could fulfill their GSC requirement to host a show, and they did it on a shoe-string.

Yep! And it still happens. I remember the OC show in Green Bay in 2005 had the fans sitting on a hill and the GE box was the second floor of some house thingy on the 35.....

Yep! And it still happens. I remember the OC show in Green Bay in 2005 had the fans sitting on a hill and the GE box was the second floor of some house thingy on the 35.....

We used corps equipment trucks and/or school busses as the 'GE Box'; judge climbed up on a ladder. Sheets and tapes were sent down to the runner in a bucket on a string. :smile:

I have told the story of a show at Havre de Grace MD a few times here. A corps I taught went to the show...the 'field' was marked off in an area near the marina. People would just wander by and stop to listen if they wanted...no seats or anything. It was not quite deep enough, but for most GSC corps that didn't matter....our drummers went backfield pretty far though. The basses were crabbing backfield, heads turned to the DM as instructed...when 'SPLASH!!"...one of them took "one step too far", so to speak..right in the water! :tongue:

At the same show, a guy decided to try and parasail right from the water...as the boat took off and pulled him out of the water, it became very apparent he had not tied his bathing trunks tight enough! He flew by with his suit down around his ankles! :tongue:

• Like 1

I have told the story of a show at Havre de Grace MD a few times here. A corps I taught went to the show...the 'field' was marked off in an area near the marina.

LOL! Yeah - we did a football field show in a baseball diamond where we were at the far end of the field by the time we got to concert formation. We had to do a right turn and the corps was marched back to the starting line to a bass beat so we could finish the show. The M&M field judge ticced us every #### step of that trek....

LOL! Yeah - we did a football field show in a baseball diamond where we were at the far end of the field by the time we got to concert formation. We had to do a right turn and the corps was marched back to the starting line to a bass beat so we could finish the show. The M&M field judge ticced us every #### step of that trek....

:tongue:

The secret is clarinets saxophones trumbones and sousaphones and I hope that nobody takes this seriously. :tongue:

This is going to be bashed for wanted DCi to become less educational but I think DCI can do two things to gain new fan bases but I have no clue how you motivate the corps to do so.

1. Make volume...not cleanliness your number one priority.

2. Play relevant shows with updated music.

Sorry, again, you are wrong. You mistake a few people on the internet with the totality of those who are in the audience.

Sorry Mike, I am taking into account for a lack of internet and gettingnews weeks later in DCN or DCW.

Wanna know where my proof is....attendance then, versus attendance now.

for anyone to say one had more impact than another is just not valid...

Why not? These changes were pushed through with a far higher ratio of conjecture vs. fact in the boardroom.

No matter what a change is , it doesnt happen over night. Impact sometimes takes a while and this activity has been a subjective one right from the beginning so to really have any statistic would merely be an at the moment assesment of an activity that if you ask the same question 10 minutes later or on another social site the outcomes would be very different...

OK....show me the social site where the consensus is that A&E grew the drum corps audience. I'll even give you 15 minutes.

But then of course those who dont belive that will always say they know people who know people who told them to justify majority...lol

I'm not contending that a majority of the audience left over A&E.

I am not saying i am for WWs..so let me make that clear bfore that debate starts AGAIN..lol

Well, you must understand how that misconception comes about. Your participation on these threads focuses on arguing with the people who share your view.

Why not? These changes were pushed through with a far higher ratio of conjecture vs. fact in the boardroom.

OK....show me the social site where the consensus is that A&E grew the drum corps audience. I'll even give you 15 minutes.

I'm not contending that a majority of the audience left over A&E.

Well, you must understand how that misconception comes about. Your participation on these threads focuses on arguing with the people who share your view.

not arguing with anyone....as a matter of fact Usually I just post to give a point of view from someone traveling most of the summer with corps. I do try to stay neutral sometimes or just give one persons opinion from knowledge based on not just BITD but today from a standpoint of current participation............As far as other social networks ..I can also say prove it hasnt,,,my point is no one entity is a majority view, altough many here believe it is.

Edited by GUARDLING