Where are the Blue Devils?

Didn't we already go over this? Blue Devils want to give other corps a chance to win every once in awhile, especially in CA :tongue:

Here's a real question, though: if you're so concerned, why don't you email Gibbs about it? I'm sure if you really want to know why he made the decision to not attend as many shows as years past (and if you ask him in a respectful way and not as a d-bag), then he'll likely give you a pretty honest answer. I've sent him emails before over the summer asking him questions (sometimes pretty heated, border-line d-bag questions to be honest), and he's always come across as honest, and sometimes blunt about why he/Blue Devils do things.

Email him and ask if you're really interested and not just stirring the pot taking needless cheap-shots at Blue Devils. His email: dgibbs@bluedevils.org

It's hard to not be a d-bag though!!! Haha. Jk

Sounds like a way to keep making money while getting lots of extra rehearsal time. Outside of concerns about fairness (more rehearsal time/not changing locations as frequently) you can't fault them for doing it. Imagine if every corps did this though. Less shows for everyone.

Even then

1) there are no rules mandating maximum rehearsal time

2) ANY corps can schedule their summer in a similar fashion

Some corps love doing shows: more $ from appearance fees & souvies, more feedback from judges, more chances to see how you stack up against competition. Other corps prefer more rehearsal time to get better. I live in San Diego, and it's a bummer that Blue Devils aren't at the show tonight (or Boston for that matter), but in the end I don't really care that much. I'm not going to the show, but that has nothing to do with BD's involvement (FWIW the ticket price is way too expense for a June show: for literally LESS than the cost of tickets for my wife, son, & I to go to that show, we can buy the entire Fan Network "live" package and stream shows all summer long). I think it's cool that BD does these clinics (even at the expense of performances), and maybe more corps need to do that kind of thing to build & foster interest in younger/new fans.

Is BD the next corps to separate from DCI???

I think if any corps is set up to maintain success by severing ties with DCI it would be Blue Devils: I think they're the ONLY corps that could do that. They have a strong booster/fundraising program, Gibbs is, IMO, the ONLY director who successfully straddles the line between running a non-profit & running a business (I still think it's incredible that's he's the only director to figure out how to make money on instrument endorsements, vs other corps whose percussion staff, for example, are the ones to profit and the corps doesn't see a dime other than discounts), and they are popular enough to maintain. They used to sell out theater shows in the late 90's, and while it's a different performance avenue I think BD could maybe, almost be successful outside of competitive drum corps.

they're hurting themselves not competing. no show fees and no feedback from judges, i dont understand why a corps would sit out with so many shows "close to home"

they're making money on the clinics and cutting down travel costs

Is BD the next corps to separate from DCI???

no. Like Hopkins, they know they can't go it alone

Even then

1) there are no rules mandating maximum rehearsal time

2) ANY corps can schedule their summer in a similar fashion

Some corps love doing shows: more $ from appearance fees & souvies, more feedback from judges, more chances to see how you stack up against competition. Other corps prefer more rehearsal time to get better. I live in San Diego, and it's a bummer that Blue Devils aren't at the show tonight (or Boston for that matter), but in the end I don't really care that much. I'm not going to the show, but that has nothing to do with BD's involvement (FWIW the ticket price is way too expense for a June show: for literally LESS than the cost of tickets for my wife, son, & I to go to that show, we can buy the entire Fan Network "live" package and stream shows all summer long). I think it's cool that BD does these clinics (even at the expense of performances), and maybe more corps need to do that kind of thing to build & foster interest in younger/new fans.

Fair points! Can't really fault them because they aren't breaking any rules. Maybe there should be some, but until then, whatcha gonna do?

I have no problem with a corps choosing to do any amount of shows. Do 40 or do 10, I don't care. Some people on DCP like to slam some corps for not going to all the regionals, or taking time off mid tour to practice, or just limiting their performances. Run your corps as you wish.

The only real issue that I have with BD not doing local shows and not doing a lot of shows in in general is that a few years ago Gibbs and Hopkins (and five others) proposed their G7 plan. They essentially said they should get more money and prime show opportunities (Saturday nights) because as far as DCI goes "We are the show". Well, you aren't the show when you don't show up. You aren't the the corps that people come to see when you aren't on the ticket. Again, do 23 shows BD, but don't sign on to plan saying you are the draw. At least The Cadets put their money where their mouth is.

• Like 2

Well, to not make light of the issue … it does seem unfair that Regiment traveled out to California and is pulling their weight for Drum Corps International and the activity … while BD takes off 5 days to practice. The Blue Devils could have easily marched at Santa Clara’s contest and the Oceanside contest.

As opposed to the few times in history that BD has traveled east of the Rockies? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

As opposed to the few times in history that BD has traveled east of the Rockies? :rolleyes:

Early season though? I think that was the point he was trying to make. How often has BD started out the season east of the Rockies? '05? Was that it?