The challenges of music licensing, and...

Thanks Mike, interesting subject to me if gut churning. And the whole post is only the tip of the iceburg from what I 've been catching here and there... And will certainly get more convaluted in the future. Another roadblock for corps of any size or type by the problem getting rights or DCI/DCA making sure the legalities are met.

Much more so than before, licensing is a cash cow for the holders of music copyrights. In DCI’s earlier years, corps didn’t have to worry about licensing and didn’t pay the statutory rate for mechanical licenses. Corps have gone from barely being a blip on these companies’ radars to becoming very much a part of their income stream. (According to Smith, popular speculation that the move from G bugles to B-flat horns was responsible for increased licensing issues is an unfounded myth.)

Was under the wrong impression that pre 3 valve horns were not considered real musical instruments and rights didn't apply because of that. Also a wrong belief...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks Mike, interesting subject to me if gut churning. And the whole post is only the tip of the iceburg from what I 've been catching here and there... And will certainly get more convaluted in the future. Another roadblock for corps of any size or type by the problem getting rights or DCI/DCA making sure the legalities are met.

Was under the wrong impression that pre 3 valve horns were not considered real musical instruments and rights didn't apply because of that. Also a wrong belief...

You have every reason to have believed that...I've heard that for ages.

You have every reason to have believed that...I've heard that for ages.

Only to be cleared up on DCP by a poster who would be in the know....

Oh man, DCP actually CORRECTED a wrong assumption. :devil:

apocalypse.jpg

• Like 9

Everything on the internet is True!!!!! :blink:

(Joking Boo .... I kid I kid ...)

((I, in no way question Boo's answer here. I thought the very same thing when I saw that commercial))

Edited by supersop

Everything on the internet is True!!!!! :blink:

(Joking Boo .... I kid I kid ...)

((I, in no way question Boo's answer here. I thought the very same thing when I saw that commercial))

Just this morning, I won over $600,000 from lotteries I didn't enter and have been asked by four different family members of recently deceased businessmen to help get their fortunes out of their countries. All I have to do is send a certified check to cover the logistical expenses. Oh, man...I'm going to be SO rich. (They found my contact info on Drum Corps Planet, so I know it's legit.)

• Like 2

Madison Scouts Executive Director Chris Komnick recounts, “By the time the publisher gave us the definitive ‘no,’ we were already into May. We made the decision that the music in the live show was more important than the DVD and so we decided not to change the last third of the show. We thought they were telling us ‘no’ because it was such a hot piece of property at the time. It typically isn’t that hard to get such licensing.

Thanks very much for this information!

According to a post that Chris Komnick kindly made on DCP on July 11, 2011, DCI and/or the Madison Scouts* were still attempting to secure the synchronization rights at that time. Would it be fair to describe that post as overly optimistic, given that he now says they had a "definitive 'no'" in May?

*It was said repeatedly on these forums that DCI rather than the individual corps arranges the mechanical and synchronization rights, but it sounds as if Mr. Komnick was describing the Scouts as the entity actually pursuing those rights. Which is correct?

• Like 3

Just this morning, I won over $600,000 from lotteries I didn't enter ...

Wow you are not entering some pretty small lotteries! I have won millions from lotteries that I did not enter!!!

You should send a letter to the complaint department of the group that is not entering you into their lotteries, and tell them that the next time you want to be not entered into much more lucrative lotteries than that small one!

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2