Guard outfits

Freelancers 1979

Entire guard wore costumes that looked like Coca-cola cans.

Actually the whole corps wore costumes. You cannot call what the drums and bugles wore uniforms, except fot the hat.

Kaboom!

I remember that; it was also what introduced form-fitting spandex as a guard costume...way ahead of its time. I thought the corps uniforms were reminiscent of what Seattle Imperials had been using for a few years...not that expensive but really sharp looking.

Image0323.jpg

Seattle Imperials sometime around 1980.

I think guard uniforms went through three phases: 1) variation on corps uniform (i.e., corps jacket plus skirts and boots), 2) separate but complimentary uniform that basically stays the same year to year, 3) costume that changes every year.

For SCV that would be up to 1982, 1983-1987, 1988-present. The shift from guard uniform to costume was made necessary by the shift to theme shows.

As early as 1963, the St. George Olympians (Springfield, MA) outfitted their guard in native Greek dance costumes.

Yes.. good example here of a pre DCI and DCA Corps that used Guard "Costuming". I would imagine that there were actually quite a few other culturally based Drum Corps that used " costuming " in the Guards and well before the creation of DCI and DCA too.

Edited by BRASSO

i think the 86 sky ryders color guard had costumes

wizard of oz and then the west side story show and

suncoast with the childrens show

10_31_2008_1986-skyriders.jpg

Edited by blueorginal

I think now days more often than not "color guard" wear the most ugly stuff imaginable that only a fashion honk would like!

I mean really! Phantom Regiment is the only one this year that I think looks good with the corps. The rest either look like they are wearing pajamas or some silly broadway costume. "Guard" LOL