5 good reason the activity is destined to end

I've said it over the past couple years and I'll say it again. People my age (21) these days don't have as much money to go freely use as they'd sometimes like. Think about this scenario:

A 20-year-old kid enrolls as a freshman in college (his/her major is irrelevant). He/she takes 15 hours worth of classes in the fall and spring semester. Therefore, the only "free" time is in the summer. Now, there are different situations for kids paying their way into college. Some receive scholarship, some receive support from their parents, and some are working their *** off to even make it to class. Let's say this kid is pretty well involved in some form on campus (doesn't matter how). In most cases, this kid has no time at night to work (nor does anyone want to hire him/her to work for only a limited amount of hours).

All of this equals TWO-THREE months out of the year this kid actually gets a chance to make some decent money. Oh but wait, the summer is the season for Drum Corps. And oh yeah, forgot to mention the camps he/she must attend starting in November. Those cost at least $50...and he/she will attend at least two (in most cases).

Now I realize there will be exceptions, and there will be the rich kids who just have money to blow, but think about this realistically. There are tons of kids out there every single year that want to be in a drum corps and don't always get the chance. I for one, have been in those shoes ever since 2006. But my issue was (and still is) time...which I won't even begin to get started on.

I say all that to say this - other than a few exceptions, I get the vibe that corps are now being forced to accept members who #1. Have the money, THEN #2. Have the talent. There's the issue. And truth is, if there aren't that many kids in the first place that have the money to do this, no wonder corps are asking in July for someone to fill a hole.

well you just learned an adult lesson...YOU CANT DO EVERYTHING YOU MAY WANT.and have to make choices....what draws you to this activity is also what cost alot of money to do.

Time as you say is also a factor and thats a problem with many but again it does come down to choice and sacrafice.

• Like 1

6. There is no "uniqueness" that can be pointed to from an all brass marching band. Having nothing to brand (something unique), you will get lost in the thousands of marching bands that exist. Trying to claim you are something other than a "band" that plays all brass band instruments due to something no one outside the activity can grasp a hold of, is not possible or a bridge too far. In the name of progress you lost who and what you are.

• Like 2

Good stats, Tim! I'd also point out, though, that there has been one actual upset for the title since 1983 (30 years), when Phantom beat BD in '08 (ties don't count - the top seed still won the championship).

Mike

I think only 2008 was the true upset. Phantom had not beaten BD all year. In fact, they had not beaten them since 2006. Also, Phantom came in ranked 4th, if you recall, and climbed one spot each night. Truly amazing.

In 1983 the upset was semi-finals, SCV over Cadets. Cadets had been undefeated until semi-finals, if I recall. SCV just had a monster performance, which they could not repeat in finals.

Good stats, Tim! I'd also point out, though, that there has been one actual upset for the title since 1983 (30 years), when Phantom beat BD in '08 (ties don't count - the top seed still won the championship).

Mike

That was an example of when the judges were so emotionally engaged with the show that entertainment was more rewarded than technique. Of course they had championship winning technique, but some people argue that BD deserved to win. Sometimes technique shouldn't be the determining factor of who wins. I know of non-DCI/non-music folks that have seen that show and have said "WOW!".

• Like 1

4-There is no real competition in DCI.

Okay this might cause the most controvesary because I'm going to get tons of examples were corps A only beat corps B by 9/10's or how each years theres movement and this year the Cavaliers will finish outside the top 4 for the first time in decades. Sure all true, but what chance does the Colts, or Crossmen or even the Academy have of winning. I'm talking about finishing 12 this year and winning next year. NON, ZERO ZIP NADA. Only in DCI is that not possible. In baseball you get worst to first, baseball, heck even tennis once in a while but never DCI. But in DCI the top 12 run things. Maybe thats way theres been so little movement in the top 7. The major leagues want parity. It creates more competition. Who wants to see every football game win 35 to 7. But thats what we get with each show. If I see a line up of Cadets, Bluecoats, Crossmen, Surf I'll get the right order of finish 9.5 out of 10 each time. I bet most fans can pick the right order of finish for the next 10 shows, no real competition.

The reason you see worst to first teams in professional sports is simple: $$$$$. Teams can save up for years with a low payroll and then go on a spending spree and buy several exceptional players in an effort to win a championship. DCI is more like college sports than professional. They try to recruit the best talent they can but typically, the best players go to the schools with a history of winning. You rarely see a worst to first team in college sports. They have to slowly build the reputation of their program until high caliber players want to go there. Drum corps are very similar.

• Like 3

Do they really know the answer?

ok...pardon me if this comes off sounding rude or condescending, but let's be realistic here.

Sure, hockey lost a year, basketball, baseball and football all had stoppages of play. they're still here.

They also have a zillion times the audience base drum corps does.

venues may find other uses when DCi comes back. Kids will move on to other things. staff and admin may too. fans will come back, but at the same level? all that outreach to kids.....that will have to go through a restart period.

then...there's lost money. sponsorhip money, etc. taking a year off may be a viable option for a corps periodically, but to just shut the whole ####### thing down for year?

suicide.

• Like 1

Jeff, stop stealing from my playbook man :tongue:

it was mine first

:tongue: