5 good reason the activity is destined to end

Let's impose a salary cap. Seriously.

Everyone runs on the same amount of money.

I'd like to see BD or even Vanguard rack in the top staff, when any other corps could afford them too.

Why go to Vanguard, when you can go anywhere you want, for the same amount of money. Somewhere maybe you used to march? Somewhere close to your home/family/children?

Students would all start to receive the utmost knowledgeable education, thus making them better performers.

Not only staff, but in terms of equipment, trucks, buses, housing sites, food etc.

Maybe finally we could see the top 7 in the bottom 7, and the bottom 7 in the top 7.

can't, and here's why:

it costs more for any corps west of say Kansas to travel than the rest of the circuit. and since everything revolves around the Echo Chamber, those corps will be screwed

Whoever -1 my post, can you at least explain a reason why you think it would be a bad idea?

It's done wonders for the NHL.

the NHL has fans in 2 countries, and it'a aduience base is way bigger than DCI. Like to the point of silly bigger.

oh i didnt red mark you either, just throwing out some logic

Edited by Jeff Ream

Wow - in the middle of a GREAT season and THIS is what folks want to talk about??!!

So negative.

yeah, just worry about it in the offseason when the #### hits the fan. no need to prepare for the future or anything

:rolleyes:

That was an example of when the judges were so emotionally engaged with the show that entertainment was more rewarded than technique. Of course they had championship winning technique, but some people argue that BD deserved to win. Sometimes technique shouldn't be the determining factor of who wins. I know of non-DCI/non-music folks that have seen that show and have said "WOW!".

well, let's be honest here too...

Phantoms percussion was incredible, and BD's line stopped being clean in July

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say this, but people are burying their head in the sand if they do not see that DCI is not only unable to sustain itself at this point in history, but is losing ground based upon the amount of corps that have folded. The activity is shrinking for whatever reason(s) and the top people need to start discussing ways to advertise outside the context of the activity and acts in ways that can build starter corps again. DCI is a business as much as it is anything else and it needs to start getting its fiscal house in order so that it can build the activity rather than see it continue to shrink in decline.

• Like 1

6. There is no "uniqueness" that can be pointed to from an all brass marching band. Having nothing to brand (something unique), you will get lost in the thousands of marching bands that exist. Trying to claim you are something other than a "band" that plays all brass band instruments due to something no one outside the activity can grasp a hold of, is not possible or a bridge too far. In the name of progress you lost who and what you are.

THIS

But not because corps have become like bands. Bands have morphed into small corps!

Edited by Shadowtron

Drum corps does need something to energize the activity. I’m not sure an advertising campaign would have much effect in the long term. It seems like it has lost its community roots. I don’t have a problem with corps being made up of members that don’t live anywhere close to the corps home base. The community I’m talking about is the past members and their families that have been involved in the activity. I’m not sure that many support it after they leave. It always disappoints me when I try to encourage alumni, which I know from my previous corps, to donate every year. They never do. This saddens me, since the vast majority of my former corps mates are very successful. I would argue that their experience with the activity had an influence on their current success. Personally, I think the activity sells itself, but I guess I’m one ignorant son of a #####. I think every region should have a dozen corps, like we used to have. It is apparent to me that the activity is slowly dying, has been for a while. I hope for future generations and my own enjoyment, it can be saved.

OK I'll chime in on this one. What about the fans and the layman who decides to see a show. You drive to a show, sometimes a couple hundred miles one way. You plop down your money for a ticket, sit down, the first corps starts to perform and the heavens open up. Show is cancelled and no refund. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The die hard fan probably will come back to a show. Many of the die hard fans are baby boomers and we aint gittin any younger. The casual fan can take it or leave it but the potential new fan or the layman will not come back. Why? They just got shafted out of their hard earned money to sit in the rain. DCI is biting the hand that feeds them. They say it's about the kids and about the fans. Really? Is the activity sustainable? Not when people stop showing up to performances. Talk about ROI.

Drum corps does need something to energize the activity. I’m not sure an advertising campaign would have much effect in the long term. It seems like it has lost its community roots. I don’t have a problem with corps being made up of members that don’t live anywhere close to the corps home base. The community I’m talking about is the past members and their families that have been involved in the activity. I’m not sure that many support it after they leave. It always disappoints me when I try to encourage alumni, which I know from my previous corps, to donate every year. They never do. This saddens me, since the vast majority of my former corps mates are very successful. I would argue that their experience with the activity had an influence on their current success. Personally, I think the activity sells itself, but I guess I’m one ignorant son of a #####. I think every region should have a dozen corps, like we used to have. It is apparent to me that the activity is slowly dying, has been for a while. I hope for future generations and my own enjoyment, it can be saved.

Actually, they need to start over (keep whats in place in place) and start new. They need local circuits in local shows to get community support (this means shows making corps march parades before the show to get people motivated to go). Major League baseball didn't happen in a second and was built from ball being played by kids on a field. They need to simplify, go back to G horns (God help me with the people here about this) to be "unique", reduce top membership for this new circuit back to 128..or whatever and troop the stands. Lose the electronics and make the pit some standard max size so the equipment costs can be contained. How many corps can afford to keep buying more equipment and uniforms to keep up with the Jones's? This is of course if there is ANY inclination to do this. After the fall of DCM/DCE/DCS and DCW and all the changes that favor the few...many have gone. This also may be due to the new "drum corps" snobs that can't handle having anything less than top 12 at a show to hurt their little ears with something other than perfection. Get over yourselves, we all have to start somewhere and most of these "people" couldn't march and play to save their lives much less ever have made a top 12 corps. We have to spark interest to get kids off the streets while competing against soccer etc. A TOUGH road to follow after most has been dismantled. It's simple, either we get local or die. Corps are killing themselves with these tours, it's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

Ironically it looks like we about simultaneously posted similar sentiments (sorry I didn't see your earlier post or I simply would have replied to this).

But take a look at the post labeled "DCI Performances Great. Business..." I've articulated a few of the same points (and a few more) based on

my professional experience with major ad agencies and television.

Bottom line: I'm willing to pony up some major resources to help address the environment in with an independent strategic development group -

If some other folks with similar or compatible expertise (and interest) are willing.

Reply to this post or read the other notes in my post and let me know your thoughts.