The Shows That Can Grab New Audiences

Phantom 1991? :thumbup:

It's something mainstream people can connect to, like it or not, they'd probably REALLY enjoy something like that.

This. I introduced my girlfriend's 16yo son to DCI through the QF broadcast last year. Crown was far and away his favorite, followed by Phantom and Cadets.

Madison Scouts 1988, 1993, 1995 and 1997!!!

I've had newbies literally fall asleep during this show. 86 BD gets the extreme opposite reaction

I would only use certain sections of 2002 Cavaliers to showcase their visual artistry.

However, you're right about 86 BD. The crowd went nuts at the end of that show. There's been few times I've seen a finals crowd throw babies like that. I was wholly impressed by that show:)

These for sure. I wouldn't think of showing anything that doesn't have a pretty obvious theme or familiar music, just because if it's a non music person, they don't care about technicality (to an extent) or musical details. They want to be entertained. This is a list I'd show to music people who don't know about drum corps as well. They're easy to get and just flat out entertaining.

Vanguard 89 - Phantom of the Opera

Blue Devils 94 - My Spanish Heart

Madison 95 - A Drum Corps Fans Dream

Madison 99 - Jesus Christ Superstar

Vanguard 04 - Scheherazade

Phantom 05 - Rhapsody (the people I've shown this to have fallen head over heals for it)

Bluecoats 07 - Criminal

Phantom 08 - Spartacus

Carolina Crown 11 - Rach Star

Cadets 11 - Between Angels and Demons

You stole alot of the corps and shows I would include on my list--THIEF! Seriously, not only do you have great taste, you make good points about audience appeal. If we're talking about non-drum corps, non-music people, it has to have overall appeal. I would add to your list two BAC shows: 2000 Red and 2011 Les Miserables. I also wouldn't hesitate to go back a bit further. People seem to love 1979 Spirit of Atlanta and Bridgemen, 1980 27th Lancers, and 1985 Madison Scouts. These performances may be products of their time, but they also have a timeless quality.

Now for those loading up a car with potential drum corps fans this summer, I've been very impressed with Crown, Cadets, Colts, Crossmen, and a show that does not fail to excite--Jersey Surf. If any of these corps are performing, new fans will not go home unhappy.

Edited by Tim K

From recent years, I've found that non-corps types usually find these shows interesting

Cadets 2011 (cool viusal of the 2 uniforms and interesting portrayal of angels vs demons)

Phantom 2008 (duh)

Crown 2007 (very accessible music, maybe still Crown's best designed show)

Cavaliers 2004/06 (everyone knows James Bond and can figure out "machine". the drill in both shows is fascinating)

For people who are into classical music, I might add

Crown 2009 (impressive brass performance with well-chosen music to complement the Copland)

SCV 2010 (The visual does such a nice job of interpreting the music in this show. Maybe I just know too many people who like Bartok!)

Phantom 2005 (really nice treatment of Gershwin, I think this show is kind of underrated by drum corps fans)

In 2005, PR had my favorite musical show of the top 12. Everywhere I saw them....they were without a doubt a crowd favorite. At DCI they got one of the biggest crowd reactions. There was def love for PR 2005...maybe missing on dcp a bit..

Back on topic,

I agree with your 2007 Crown pic.

Cavaliers 2008 (samurai)

Bluecoats 2008 (not a big fan of all the narration..but no doubt the show is easy to follow...and man did they get a great crowd reaction)

Sky Ryders 1986 (Wizard of Oz)

Cadets (1989 Les Mis)

Madison Scouts (1997...great storyline...easy to follow)

Star on Indiana (1986...although some younger people may not know Star Wars and ET themes? perhaps 1989)

Some not so recent goodies

madison Scouts 1983 (that closer from cats and colas breughnan overture)

Garfield 1984- propelled the activity forward and defined how the activity would look for the following six years

Sky Riders 1988- sound of music and a good hornline....

Obviously madison 1988 and scv 1989

Blue Devils 1990 - its tommy, its fun fun and everyone knows it.

1991 Madison Scouts - City of Angels.. again theatre is a god vehicle for non dc peeps.

1994 Blue Devils my spanish heart... just so much drama and power hard not to relalte with

1995 Cadets of bergen County. From the opening mello solo to the big finish just a great piece of Americana... and thats coming from a non american :)

1996 - Cadets. The american west.. so much fun and theme... BEEF!

1996 Blue Devils... dick tracey was like my favourite show from them fit them well

I believe it was called Club Blue a ganster chronicle.

1997 Crossmen and birdland you do the math.

1997 magic of orlando that french quarter party thing was cool if a bit sloppy but very entertaining ... and one of my favourite ballads.

1998Cadets. Stonehenge. Just a great symphonic work and entertaining.

2011 Crown (It's Rach Star, super easy to understand)

2010 Phantom ( I think everyone has read Romeo and Juliet at some point)

2008 Phantom (Pretty sure most people have heard of Spartacus

2007 Crown (Triple Crown should be pretty easy to grasp)

2006 Cavies (Machines and Robots?)

2005 SCV (Russia is pretty blatant and easy to get)

2004 Cavies (007)

1997 Madison (It's Pirates, what's not to get?)

1992 Star (It's about America)

1989 SCV (Phantom of the Opera)