The Shows That Can Grab New Audiences

<3 SCV 2009 hornline

I have not had success with Cavaliers "the Machine" for some reason they "get" that it's supposed to be mechanical but they don't understand why that's cool or impressive. I've had most success with cadets 2000 and crown 2007. That horsey show just gets to people!

I'm surprised no one has said Cavaliers 2007 "And So It Goes". It may not be drum corps' favorite Cavaliers show, but a lot of people would recognize the Billy Joel music, and they would also get the "pressure" theme with the guard taking off the suit items.

Also Cavaliers 2011. Stilts, crazy costumes, people going upside down and planking on bass drums, recognizable music, and the XY male theme.

Let me share what I know from personal experience.

I introduced drum corps to many friends, of which included, friends involved with music but unfamiliar with DCI and friends not involved with music and unfamiliar with DCI.

The shows that seemed to reel in my friends that were involved with music included:

-Phantom Regiment 2003, 2007, 2011

-Blue Devils 2011

-Carolina Crown 2007 - 2009, 2012

-Bluecoats 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012

-SCV 1989, 2004, 2009, 2012

-Cadets 2005, 2007

-The Academy 2011

The shows that seemed to reel in my friends that were not involved with music included:

-Phantom Regiment 2008

-Blue Devils 2003

-Carolina Crown 2012

-Bluecoats 2008, 2011

-SCV 1989

-Cadets 2011

-Pacific Crest 2007

-Star of Indiana 1985 (yay for disney!)

I know it's really random and out of place, but these are the results I got

Edited by chris banas

I was thinking about this the other day.

I'm sure a lot of us try to show people who do not know of DCI (or know very little about it) drum corps shows of the past that we consider to be relate-able to the common audience. You know, the shows that reek (in a good kind of a smell) of entertainment, and the shows that dazzle. These shows hardly have a single design flaw. ALSO, these are the shows that have won. That made me realize that the shows that you would most likely show/grab a new audience, are also the same shows that have worked well with DCI judges and audiences.

A few of these examples:

2011 Cadets - Between Angels and Demons

2008 Phantom Regiment - Spartacus

2006 Cavaliers - Machine

2004 Cavaliers - 007

2000 Cadets - We Are the Future

1992 Cadets - To Tame The Perilous Skies

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - Phantom of the Opera

1984 Cadets - West Side Story

What are some shows that YOU would show to a new audience?

The only corps not in the top 12 for the past few years and receives consistent standing ovations for being a true crowd pleasers are the Colts from Dubuque,Iowa who reach the age of 50 next year.There's a prime example.

The only corps not in the top 12 for the past few years and receives consistent standing ovations for being a true crowd pleasers are the Colts from Dubuque,Iowa who reach the age of 50 next year.There's a prime example.

Besides 2009, the Troopers.

• Like 1

Besides 2009, the Troopers.

Next year we are starting a NEW organization called Drum Corps Universal. To compete you have to have all nations be involved. If less than 50% come from other than the USA there will be no competition. There will be no judges, only present crowd participation. If you need financing it WILL be found. Stay tuned for future news. Shows will be held across the globe. If Olympics can do it, so can we.