Was a nice night for an impromptu trip to Clifton. I will review the competitive units in greater detail. Arrived late so missed Latin Express. Sky Alumni was much improved from Bridgeport and performed quite well. Raiders Junior corps was a very clean unit which executed very well and unleashed some nice power when appropriate. Cabs Alumni, as always, brought the house down. They are the rolls royce of the alumni circuit for sure.

Cadets2 was first. A much anticipated debut for sure. With the exception of the percussion, a very sloppy performance. Give this corps some time and I think they'll fit into things nicely. Marching execution was quite poor and the color guard was unfinished (a horrible theme of the night). Brass sounded gassed and underbalanced, but half of them looked like they didn't even know where they were going, so how much sound can be expected. Still and all, the frame of the show is there. If cleaned up and executed, I would guess they'll be in a slot by themselves below the top5 and above the rest (Kidsgrove not withstanding as they're an unknown).

Sunrisers had a very nice show based on Carmen. All sections executed very well tonight, and I thought Sunrisers would finish in the sixth slot tonight, was surprised with 8th. Horns unleash some nice unexpected power in the ballad in a nice moment. Corps doesn't do too much like the smaller corps sometimes do. This will keep getting better as the seasong oes on. Biggest issue, incomplete guard work.

Windsor Regiment was next with their Angels in the Architecture program. Admittedly, I'll need another viewing as to me, it came across as sloppy. Seems the talent is there, but a lot of what I heard and saw came across as muddy. Certainly a difficult show, and I think it's way too early to say they bit off more then they could chew. There were some solid moments scattered throughout the show. If everything hits that level, this should be a big mover come August. Had them 7th tonight. Guard was incomplete.

Bushwackers were next. This corps is still trying to fill in the holes and get things together. The whoole musical and marching program is now complete. Brass memebrs are still weaving in and out of the program. Percussion is smallest section and guard has improved from Bridgeport. Guard is still somewhat incomplete. Biggest issue is that they have 5 or 6 members at time standing on the sidelines for sections of the show they haven't learned yet. While this is very understandable, don't carry on a conversation with one another while your corps is on the field performing their collective tails off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had Bush 8th.

Fusion Core was next and they delivered a very entertaining production, maybe the most entertaining of the night. My personal opinion is that the entertainment effect caption is judged incorrectly at every show. I don't care how good Reading is, Fusion out entertained them and should've been rewarded on this night. From a technical standpoint, the tools are there musically. Drill could move a little more at times, but again, color guard was incomplete. What they had was fine, but there's still a lot to fill in. The story gets lost at times with the mafia dons, but they sell the show well and had the crowd on their feet often. I thought Cadets2 and Fusion would eb a coin flip and was surprised by the 3 point pre-penalty spread.

Quick disclaimer: It's July 14 and 3 of 8 guards were complete. I personally think that if a corps doesn't have a complete show, they shouldn't get paid. You know your schedule in the winter, prepare for it. Of the five groups with incomplete guards, three have already competed once. Get it together folks.

Reading Buccaneers dominated all captions and rightfully so. This show has it all. The dirt I saw in Bridgeport was nonexistent tonight. They got the pro-Caballero crowd into the show. All sections are solid and this show WILL win in September. That is, as long as the Bucs don't lose focus. If the last six years are any indication, that won't be a problem. The switch to all black did not distract me as much tonight and the rifle line was amazing. Brass unleashes a power not usually heard with this corps and timing was a lock throughout the show. First by a lot and rightfully so. The only reason corps will catch up to Reading in August is because the Bucs cant score higher than 100.

Hurricanes were next with their British themed show. The horn line seemed a little flat tonight, maybe from following the Bucs, but the percussion and guard certainly didn't disappoint. Thought Hurcs percussion might be closer to the Bucs. Thank you to the Hurcs guard staff for not ruining every toss and catch with annoying cheering. That guard is a show in and of itself. Let the audience enjoy it and they will reward it with applause like they did last night. Austin Powers segment a nice touch. Perc feature is the hit of the show. Brass needs to improve or they might find themselves chasing the Cabs all year. I did have Hurcs third tonight.

Cabs were last with a major improvement from Bridgeport. I thought I needed a second viewing to enjoy this show more and I certainly did. Can't wait for the third viewing now. Get over the fact that this isn't a typical Cabs show and you'll love it. Percussion still has room to improve but is getting there with a cleaner run tonight. Brass was great and the ballad was goose bump inducing. Big Bolero segment before the closer needs something more there. Cant put my finger on it. Felt like it should been a baby tossing moment from the crowd but it was a little confusing. Guard was dazzling and had everything together tonight. I had Cabs 2nd.

All in all a great show and evening of drum corps.

• Like 5

Adam,

Thanks for the review!

quote name='burdettsky' timestamp='1342374918' post='3173619']

Was a nice night for an impromptu trip to Clifton. I will review the competitive units in greater detail. Arrived late so missed Latin Express. Sky Alumni was much improved from Bridgeport and performed quite well. Raiders Junior corps was a very clean unit which executed very well and unleashed some nice power when appropriate. Cabs Alumni, as always, brought the house down. They are the rolls royce of the alumni circuit for sure.

Cadets2 was first. A much anticipated debut for sure. With the exception of the percussion, a very sloppy performance. Give this corps some time and I think they'll fit into things nicely. Marching execution was quite poor and the color guard was unfinished (a horrible theme of the night). Brass sounded gassed and underbalanced, but half of them looked like they didn't even know where they were going, so how much sound can be expected. Still and all, the frame of the show is there. If cleaned up and executed, I would guess they'll be in a slot by themselves below the top5 and above the rest (Kidsgrove not withstanding as they're an unknown).

Sunrisers had a very nice show based on Carmen. All sections executed very well tonight, and I thought Sunrisers would finish in the sixth slot tonight, was surprised with 8th. Horns unleash some nice unexpected power in the ballad in a nice moment. Corps doesn't do too much like the smaller corps sometimes do. This will keep getting better as the seasong oes on. Biggest issue, incomplete guard work.

Windsor Regiment was next with their Angels in the Architecture program. Admittedly, I'll need another viewing as to me, it came across as sloppy. Seems the talent is there, but a lot of what I heard and saw came across as muddy. Certainly a difficult show, and I think it's way too early to say they bit off more then they could chew. There were some solid moments scattered throughout the show. If everything hits that level, this should be a big mover come August. Had them 7th tonight. Guard was incomplete.

Bushwackers were next. This corps is still trying to fill in the holes and get things together. The whoole musical and marching program is now complete. Brass memebrs are still weaving in and out of the program. Percussion is smallest section and guard has improved from Bridgeport. Guard is still somewhat incomplete. Biggest issue is that they have 5 or 6 members at time standing on the sidelines for sections of the show they haven't learned yet. While this is very understandable, don't carry on a conversation with one another while your corps is on the field performing their collective tails off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had Bush 8th.

Fusion Core was next and they delivered a very entertaining production, maybe the most entertaining of the night. My personal opinion is that the entertainment effect caption is judged incorrectly at every show. I don't care how good Reading is, Fusion out entertained them and should've been rewarded on this night. From a technical standpoint, the tools are there musically. Drill could move a little more at times, but again, color guard was incomplete. What they had was fine, but there's still a lot to fill in. The story gets lost at times with the mafia dons, but they sell the show well and had the crowd on their feet often. I thought Cadets2 and Fusion would eb a coin flip and was surprised by the 3 point pre-penalty spread.

Quick disclaimer: It's July 14 and 3 of 8 guards were complete. I personally think that if a corps doesn't have a complete show, they shouldn't get paid. You know your schedule in the winter, prepare for it. Of the five groups with incomplete guards, three have already competed once. Get it together folks.

Reading Buccaneers dominated all captions and rightfully so. This show has it all. The dirt I saw in Bridgeport was nonexistent tonight. They got the pro-Caballero crowd into the show. All sections are solid and this show WILL win in September. That is, as long as the Bucs don't lose focus. If the last six years are any indication, that won't be a problem. The switch to all black did not distract me as much tonight and the rifle line was amazing. Brass unleashes a power not usually heard with this corps and timing was a lock throughout the show. First by a lot and rightfully so. The only reason corps will catch up to Reading in August is because the Bucs cant score higher than 100.

Hurricanes were next with their British themed show. The horn line seemed a little flat tonight, maybe from following the Bucs, but the percussion and guard certainly didn't disappoint. Thought Hurcs percussion might be closer to the Bucs. Thank you to the Hurcs guard staff for not ruining every toss and catch with annoying cheering. That guard is a show in and of itself. Let the audience enjoy it and they will reward it with applause like they did last night. Austin Powers segment a nice touch. Perc feature is the hit of the show. Brass needs to improve or they might find themselves chasing the Cabs all year. I did have Hurcs third tonight.

Cabs were last with a major improvement from Bridgeport. I thought I needed a second viewing to enjoy this show more and I certainly did. Can't wait for the third viewing now. Get over the fact that this isn't a typical Cabs show and you'll love it. Percussion still has room to improve but is getting there with a cleaner run tonight. Brass was great and the ballad was goose bump inducing. Big Bolero segment before the closer needs something more there. Cant put my finger on it. Felt like it should been a baby tossing moment from the crowd but it was a little confusing. Guard was dazzling and had everything together tonight. I had Cabs 2nd.

Great review! Thank you :thumbup: .

Terrific review, Adam... I'll see you and the missus next month!!!

I said something about this last night. The problem has become too prevalent not to comment on it. The season is 1 month in. Even if it was the 1st show for corps like C2 or Sun, your staff knew when it was going to be and should have planned accordingly. The fans that are paying for the tickets deserve more. If I bought a $20 entree and it only came with part of what was listed for the meal included and I was told, 'sorry we just didn't have time to finish making your dinner' I would think I'm not coming back here. But I will come back because I am a fan. The people who are new off the street attendees at a show don't know that these shows eventually will be complete. All they knew is some guards just stopped adding to their respective programs.

It shouldn't be that way 1/2 way through July. It really shouldn't be that way at the 1st show of the season IMO either.

• Like 4

I said something about this last night. The problem has become too prevalent not to comment on it. The season is 1 month in. Even if it was the 1st show for corps like C2 or Sun, your staff knew when it was going to be and should have planned accordingly. . . .

It shouldn't be that way 1/2 way through July. It really shouldn't be that way at the 1st show of the season IMO either.

I agree totally, Liz. This seems to be an ever-increasing problem with each passing season. Sure, we all were in corps that made additions and changes as the season progressed, but you show was always done by the beginning of June for that first contest. This no longer seems to be the case.

I'm sure the practice of have a completely new show every year has a lot to do with this. No one repeats any part of a show any more, and I think that's unfortunate.

But I'm really old school, so what do I know?

I agree totally, Liz. This seems to be an ever-increasing problem with each passing season. Sure, we all were in corps that made additions and changes as the season progressed, but you show was always done by the beginning of June for that first contest. This no longer seems to be the case.

I'm sure the practice of have a completely new show every year has a lot to do with this. No one repeats any part of a show any more, and I think that's unfortunate.

But I'm really old school, so what do I know?

Actually I love that they don't repeat parts of the show from the year before because the audience gets something new every year. And 10 and 20 years ago they weren't repeating either, yet the guards were more prepared. So that right there isn't the reason. I really wish the reason why could be explained.

Actually I love that they don't repeat parts of the show from the year before because the audience gets something new every year. And 10 and 20 years ago they weren't repeating either, yet the guards were more prepared. So that right there isn't the reason. I really wish the reason why could be explained.

A huge part of it is that most members and staff are also involved with WGI - so first rehearsals for guard typically happen in May. Learning the whole show (drill and work) in basically 6 weeks (weekend only rehearsals) is a little much to ask.

But at this point - all the big impacts of the show should be learnt. Major kudos to Hurricanes for not only having all the work done - but it's already pretty clean and they're performing the heck out of it!!!

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

A huge part of it is that most members and staff are also involved with WGI - so first rehearsals for guard typically happen in May. Learning the whole show (drill and work) in basically 6 weeks (weekend only rehearsals) is a little much to ask.

But at this point - all the big impacts of the show should be learnt. Major kudos to Hurricanes for not only having all the work done - but it's already pretty clean and they're performing the heck out of it!!!

Later,

Mike

I get the indoor/WGI thing. But at the same time, why is it affecting the guards and not the percussion sections? I have yet to see a drumline dut-dut their way through two thirds of a show because they "didn't have time" to get it done.

• Like 5

Exactly.....And winterguard has been around not just for the last few years. And way back in the dark ages those members and staffs managed to still hold some winter rehearsals with their respective corps and start learning the show. So that argument doesn't hold up without a few holes in it as well.

People talk about the upper echelon corps such as Hurcs, Cabs and Bucs. Those were the only corps with completed guard books last night. That would just be another reason why they are considered in the upper echelon. Their staffs and members are putting in that effort to have completed shows. And the fans AND judges are aware of it.

• Like 1