Blue Devils on top...really?

You can't even tell is BD is clean to begin with because everytime they hit a form with straight lines that all starts swaying and making it ripple so even if someone was out of line you couldn't tell.

• Like 4

You can't even tell is BD is clean to begin with because everytime they hit a form with straight lines that all starts swaying and making it ripple so even if someone was out of line you couldn't tell.

Wouldn't that be considered good visual design? And be scored accordingly?

And will someone let me know when Crown hits a straight line cleanly (that isn't a halt,) or do I just have to watch Cadets to see something like that?

Love Crown's sound and show, but visually, and by that I mean strictly marching, it is a bit of a hot mess. The body positioning stuff is good.

• Like 1

To the OP, I think you stated your position and how you felt, and for that do not feel bad. As you can tell, we all have different opinions about shows that the Blue Devils have produced over the years. For a lot of fans, those who are my age (47) and older, we grew up listening to the Blue Devils play the best jazz this side of Kenton and Basie and Maynard, but for field, and we loved it. They were one of the most entertaining and clean drum corps in the activity. They had a string of soloists in the late 70s/early 80s who should have all been in the studio recording.

As their style changed many of us had a difficult time with it. I like to pride myself on the fact that I still get into them, even now that they are less jazz and more contemporary with a mixed style of music choices. I loved their Tommy show from 1990. Their 1994 is about as good musically as it gets. 1999 is a killer show musically. 2003 is one of the all-time greats as well. In 2007 they found something, an idea, the germ of a new style, that catapulted them to 1st that year, and in 2008 they continued that thought process only to a more advanced stage. They have stuck with that in 2009, 2010, and now 2012. The backed off some last year with their 2011 show, but the ideas were still there.

I couldn't put my finger on what it is that they do, but there is a formula there that is odd for most people. The music phrases are there, but you have to listen, and I really think you have to see the show a few times. They don't have the soloists like they used to, although they are still good, and they don't play jazz like they used to (and I will always love that first and foremost), but I do dig their approach to field design. Why? 1) it's unlike anything we have, 2) everyone else seems to want to copy Cadets or Cavaliers (sans Phantom, who also maintains a very unique style), 3) they still march better (technique) than anyone in the activity and it's good to see excellent technique, and 4) there is always the off-chance that I get to hear some jazz, and I'll take what I can get. Nobody else in the activity seems to want to play much jazz. It's sad when the Cadets are utilizing pretty good jazz for a portion of their jingle bells arrangement and somehow I'm not getting much more than that.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

Please do not speak for most fans.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Clean wins. Crown will be sloppy in comparison for the rest of the year even though they have that sweet horn sound.

Crown will get clean and ultimately win with a better show as Cadets will get clean and ultimately open margin up on PR

and close in on BD. A bit early still in season to started measuring corps for rings.

Blue Devils boring ### formula works. They march, play, spin, drum and stand still very well. They also elicit an ovation worthy of an 8th place Open Class corps. The kids work their butts off, and the staff knows how to clean. Unfortunately....like when most geniuses copulate and make a baby together, they tend to be highly intelligent, yet ugly ### babies.

If we keep rewarding Blue Devils for their technically impressive, yet coma inducing shows, while Cadets and Crown and Regiment are running around playing their ##### off and getting fans literally off their butts, what does that say for the activity? BD is only "tenths" of a point better.....it's not like Crown or Cadets or PR are that much dirtier.

I Predict a roar that might topple the Oil Can in August if Blue Devils win, and I don't think it'll be the good kind.

Its a new judging system but same old crony judges. Its like a new congress gets in and same corrupt system yields the same outcome.

• Like 5

Difficulty? Crown is playing Bertrand Moren's Dreams while running. Blue Devils have a french guy talking while they get dressed from their invisible closets that double as a PVC horse. WTF

But its art when BD does it. What's your problem?

• Like 4

Its a new judging system but same old crony judges. Its like a new congress gets in and same corrupt system yields the same outcome.

And when the cronies had Cadets in 1st last year, did you think that was wrong?

And when the cronies had Cadets in 1st last year, did you think that was wrong?

hmmm, it was refreshing when the crowd and DCI judges were on the same page but we're back to the twilight zone in 2012 I suppose.

All I ask is BD form one or two recognizable patterns and move in them for a few counts so we can see if they really can do that before

the GE Visual drone gives them a 20.

• Like 2

I was at the Rockford show and saw the lack of audience response to their show. I loved their show last year and was quite disappointed this year. Can't figure out at all why they score on top for GE based on audience response.

The crowd loved The Cadets.

• Like 1