2012 Teal Sound "Letter of Explanation"

This is the letter that was sent to the 2012 Teal Sound members and parents.

"To the members of 2012 Teal Sound;

I wanted to send this message sooner, but I thought that it would be better to allow you time to get home or with the corps that you have found a new home with. I hope that you understand why I waited.

I want to start by appologizing that the season was cut short. It was over before it began and I am sorry for that. I wanted this to be the most amazing summer Teal Sound has had. The designers worked really hard to put an amazing show on the field and you members should be proud of what you have accomplished in such a short amount of time. I am proud that each and everyone of you wanted to be a part of Teal Sound.

I wish that there had been more that I could have done to financially secure this year for you. A lot of you know the situation that Teal was last year when they came off the road. I have talked with most of you about it, vets know because they lived it. Simply put the situation for this year was this...there were alot of members that did not pay at all, some that paid very little and a few that paid in full. When I spoke to the members and the parents of members, they assured me that they would pay. That did not happen.

When it came time for the board of directors to make the call to end tour, I contacted DCI and followed their lead. I was wrong for that. I should have talked with you more and explained more at the time that this decision was being made. I flew home in an a last ditch effort to borrow more money personally to resolve this and I could not do it.

I hope this in some way helps you to understand the reason we as a board made such a decision. I know that it is hard to understand. I am sure that you must be thinking that there must have been something else that we could have done. I promise, for what its worth to you, that there was no stone unturned. I know that there are a lot of rumours on facebook and some members parents are saying alot of untrue things and there are even people that think that they know what is going on with Teal, but they don't. I have never not answered my phone for any one of you and I will not start now. If you have any questions that you would like more of an answer to, please call me.

Now there is a lot of speculation as to the future of Teal Sound. I would love to say that Teal will be on tour and we will be stronger than ever, but the truth is I do not know. What I do I know is that if we do come back out, there will be no chance of this happening again. I will make sure that we are secure finacially. I will do whatever it takes to make the future of Teal Sound solid.

I love you all and I wish you the best in whatever you do and where ever you go. Teal will always be a family and we, good or bad, are a part of it.

Cary Byrd"

• Like 3

That sounds like a very sincere, very heartfelt letter to me.

Good luck to Teal Sound, to it's board, it's members, it's staff, it's parents, and to Ms. Byrd who wrote this obviously painful letter she never thought she would have to write.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

This just raises more questions.

unfortunately that's what i gathered from it as well.

• Like 2

I'm glad I got to see them this year.

Most shows are like a flower, blooming slowly over the season until their singular peak at Finals.

But Teal sound is the Orchid of 2012.

Blooming fast and beautiful, and gone quickly.

So fragile are we, huh?

:-)

• Like 4

That sounds like a very sincere, very heartfelt letter to me.

Good luck to Teal Sound, to it's board, it's members, it's staff, it's parents, and to Mr. Byrd who wrote this obviously painful letter he never thought he would have to write.

it does seem it...had to be hard with an inherent problemfrom the past and sooooo many corps and winter programs have had issues with the member and parent promises that dont come through...Seems to be an isue many place but for some reason even worse in Fl......Sad..Im sure theres alot more to the story but from many other directors of winter and summer programs, its a huge issue.

I truly hope the corps that so graciusly took kids in researched if their new members paid rather than didnt

Edited by GUARDLING