DCI drumline videos with girls in the line

So we're seeing some examples of girls in the line and I'm really thankful to everyone for these suggestions! :worthy:

But the overwhelming participation seems to be guys. What is it about drumlines that doesn't appeal to girls? Are they frozen out by male-dominated staff? I would love to hear from some of the young ladies in the lines in this thread, but many of them are probably a little busy right about now!

From www.dci.org/about = "66 percent are male" (of WC marchers)

That includes guard. Take that out of the equation and the numbers are stacked.

As a drummer, I personally believe the gender bias is because of both the perceived physical demands and the "rock star" status of the battery - once it becomes a guys club it's hard to make it anything but.

That said, I'm glad to see it finally starting to shift, even if we're not there yet.

Mike

There should be a special all-girl drumline/hornline sometime during finals week

Ahhh - I went looking on this and found a great clip that really features the lady on center snare. Holy crap has she got some hands!

I think that's just what I'm looking for - many thanks all!

And let me tell you, this young lady keeps those boys in line! She didn't major in "Wildlife Management" for nothing! ;) Seriously, she is a perfect example of someone with that "SUTA" spirit! Rock on, Kali!

• Like 3

And let me tell you, this young lady keeps those boys in line! She didn't major in "Wildlife Management" for nothing! ;) Seriously, she is a perfect example of someone with that "SUTA" spirit! Rock on, Kali!

How old is that guy 2nd from left in the snares? Looks all of 15!

Music City has a female tenor this year

My how things have changed thank G+D! I marched Sunrisers late 70s and we had a great tom player. The only thing she ever wanted to ever do was march Devils. She could't they didn't accept "girls" back then.

Just as an aside how about those great all girl cymbal lines in VK the late 80's?