Is There A Difference?

I went to a FB group called 1970's drum corps. It was fun reminiscing and seeing old pics like we do here. The difference is....there are old crotchety people that just want to put down what DCI and DCA do today. Other than electronics in DCI and the keys of the brass instruments...what is really so different today? I spend my time defending the activity but it's like the old guys sitting out in front of the barber shop and talking about what was better about the olden days. The kids were just as hard today and maybe even harder. Yes, there are less drum corps but the shows are still awesome to watch.

Anyone else see the good?

• Like 3

I've been following drum corps closely for 42 years.

The corps I saw last week in Minneapolis can still bring the goosebumps just like the corps of earlier decades.

There are always people who hate the present state of things. I read articles from 1950s and 1960s drum corps periodicals where

people were complaining about "what had become" of their beloved drum corps.

Some things never change............except for the quality of the drum corps.

• Like 1

I've been following drum corps closely for 42 years.

The corps I saw last week in Minneapolis can still bring the goosebumps just like the corps of earlier decades.

There are always people who hate the present state of things. I read articles from 1950s and 1960s drum corps periodicals where

people were complaining about "what had become" of their beloved drum corps.

Some things never change............except for the quality of the drum corps.

yeah many people,,,,here too....think what we did was our drum corps back in the day and how we stayed true to that ...welll I have 3 decades of drum corps people just in my family that said what I did BITD wasnt drum corps....Its like when I talk to some alumni friends fighting to maintain what they think the tradition was..I always ask them ...well what decade was that? and who decided that was the decade that should dictate history..they soon shut up..........for a while.....

• Like 2

I went to a FB group called 1970's drum corps. It was fun reminiscing and seeing old pics like we do here. The difference is....there are old crotchety people that just want to put down what DCI and DCA do today. Other than electronics in DCI and the keys of the brass instruments...what is really so different today? I spend my time defending the activity but it's like the old guys sitting out in front of the barber shop and talking about what was better about the olden days. The kids were just as hard today and maybe even harder. Yes, there are less drum corps but the shows are still awesome to watch.

While they're are some people in the FB 70's group that are anti-everything, I can still see the positives of most of the shows. I guess everyone has an opinion..?

Of course...todays corps are the very best there have ever been...and so are the shows presented.

• Like 1

THANK YOU!!! All of you! I have seen in the past 2 days more people saying positive things about todays corps. Maybe I helped change the tide...who knows?

THANK YOU!!! All of you! I have seen in the past 2 days more people saying positive things about todays corps. Maybe I helped change the tide...who knows?

not sure you changed anything BUT at least you can see many of us from BITD can appreciate what we did and see the extreme quality in every aspect corps do today....different isnt always a bad thing....drum corps is still drum corps just a little different. as most things are

• Like 1

Elitism. I'm just going to be honest here. DCA and DCI corps now are extremely good. Most are trained musicians (even if they haven't picked up their horns in 20 years). The shows aren't as simple .. they are layered, complex, high production quality with great writing in all areas.

I'm a bit of a non-elitist myself. This might not sound logical .... but I view things as "simple is better" "raw is more exciting" "a little dirt is ok so long as you hit me in the gutt". DCA and DCI have taken professional approaches to their instruments and marching techniques. It's not your momz and popz local catholic VFW drum corps anymore.

Where I differ, is that I appreciate all era's. Love BITD ... love the 80's and 90's ..... still getting used to today .. but as the corps get better at using their new toys ... I'm starting to enjoy it more.

So, if I just called you a scumbag elitist DCI or DCA person .... you should be proud :devil: It's a compliment. Don't take it personally if other generations don't appreciate what you're doing. It's still marching and playing music with precision and excellence. Something to take pride in and have lasting memories that make you misty eyed. That's all those other folks are doing .. taking pride in what they had .. which was different rules, horns, drums, etc etc etc.. but not so much.

A non=elitist with a name like Supersop? LOL

Elitism. I'm just going to be honest here. DCA and DCI corps now are extremely good. Most are trained musicians (even if they haven't picked up their horns in 20 years). The shows aren't as simple .. they are layered, complex, high production quality with great writing in all areas.

I'm a bit of a non-elitist myself. This might not sound logical .... but I view things as "simple is better" "raw is more exciting" "a little dirt is ok so long as you hit me in the gutt". DCA and DCI have taken professional approaches to their instruments and marching techniques. It's not your momz and popz local catholic VFW drum corps anymore.

Where I differ, is that I appreciate all era's. Love BITD ... love the 80's and 90's ..... still getting used to today .. but as the corps get better at using their new toys ... I'm starting to enjoy it more.

So, if I just called you a scumbag elitist DCI or DCA person .... you should be proud :devil: It's a compliment. Don't take it personally if other generations don't appreciate what you're doing. It's still marching and playing music with precision and excellence. Something to take pride in and have lasting memories that make you misty eyed. That's all those other folks are doing .. taking pride in what they had .. which was different rules, horns, drums, etc etc etc.. but not so much.