Forte ends season early

Where was that posted...I never saw that.

I, for one, am very proud of that director and board, and I tip my hat to them. As painful as this must be for those kids, it's a far cry from ending up stranded far from home. If this is an example of the balls that that leadership has, I hope they stay around for next year because Forte needs that kind of leadership.

Now, where did the money go that was supporting this year's fatalities? Fundraising problem? A bad economy? Not as much income from DCI? The G7? George Hopkins :ph34r: ? <--/sarcasm on that last

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

DCI is the problem and has been for awhile. The removal of the regional touring model (DCM, DCW, DCE, DCS, etc) has made it nearly impossible to start up a new corps and give it time to grow, structural and financially...not to mention the state of the economy and the rapid rate of inflation over the past few years. I suspect we'll see more of this, not less.

Unfortunately, won't cause many waves until it happens to one of the big boys, as almost happened to Cadets a couple of years ago.

• Like 4

Agreed with the sentiment that the management took a difficult decision and came down on the side of safety for the kids. Heartbreaking, but bravo on the right choice.

In the off season, some serious soul-searching needs to take place. Three down and as I understand it, no new corps coming onstream this year. It really is looking like the emperor has no clothes, and no amount of bluster can avoid the evidence...

I wish there were a good way to get the news out about corps that are in a crunch for one reason or another. I'd have totally thrown in had I heard about this in time... :sad:

I would guess that the corps management thought that a public appeal would not bring in enough funds, or might just get them through this season but would lead to those funders being unable to support them next year.

Still, a sad year.

Obviously the financials are what's necessary for a corps to survive. I also feel for the world class/open class corps that are less successful than the top 15. Most folks that attend the shows aren't seated in the venue until the 'top corps' are scheduled to play. There is a smaller fan base and there is a sense of feeling unnoticed. Granted those are my observations, not my son's (he marches Academy) but I can see where feeling defeated (when hardly anyone is in the stands) could snowball.

...but I can see where feeling defeated (when hardly anyone is in the stands) could snowball.

Whew, when I saw the pic from the Odessa show I felt that way. Just a smattering of people. Sad.