Shows that changed drum corps?

Oh, geez...I had forgotten about that.

They had the most magnificent ending to the show in "Young Sherlock Holmes." As the horn block disintegrated from the right front corner in towards the rest of the block, the members went into a leaning position on one leg as they took their horns away from their mouths and set to against their legs. They started the disintegration of the block playing the final chord on their horns, and when they ended, they were humming the same chord. But one couldn't hear the transition, so it was easily one of the most magical moments I ever witnessed. When I first saw it, I was speechless...literally. My hands were over my mouth and I was told Steve Vickers of Drum Corps World was asking me what I thought, but I wasn't responding to him. I was so much in the moment.

I live for those moments.

That is something I would love to see video of. I really wish we could see Fan Network archives updated to include Non-Finalists. This show, and Southwind 2000 are two shows I would love to see, but have just never gotten the chance to because they aren't up on Fan Network, and no DVDs

• Like 1

That is something I would love to see video of. I really wish we could see Fan Network archives updated to include Non-Finalists. This show, and Southwind 2000 are two shows I would love to see, but have just never gotten the chance to because they aren't up on Fan Network, and no DVDs

It's being worked on, but it's a ways off because there is only so much time for the person who does this, who also has many other responsibilities. It's hoped that all videos of World Championship week corps can eventually make it to Fan Network.

It's being worked on, but it's a ways off because there is only so much time for the person who does this, who also has many other responsibilities. It's hoped that all videos of World Championship week corps can eventually make it to Fan Network.

That would be great. There are so many non-Finalists shows I've seen people talk about, and have all of this respect and reverence for, but since I didn't get into DCI until 2005, and didn't see Finals until 2007, I missed lots of good drum corps.

I'm patient, and okay with waiting to see these videos on Fan Network

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't The Cadets 2003 the first show with a "pre-show"? That's seems to be a pretty big change to me.

Actually, Cadets had a pre-show wayyyy back in 1989. Although you would not know it from the recordings, as the announcer did his bit early at Finals. Throughout the season, they would start the Les Mis show facing backfield, then get the "You may enter the field for competition" just before they turned forward for the big opening hit.

The concert set-up in "Evita" raised eyebrows. It wouldn't today, but the asymmetrical arc form was disconcerting. And then there was the comet form in "Jupiter." Anyhow; yes, it wasn't the entire show and not even the majority, but it did change the game. The next year, there was a lot of asymmetry. SCV had to break the mold and made it safe for other corps to do likewise, and that is game changing.

Point taken Michael. I went for quantity and you correctly pointed out that quality meant more.

sigh

there is no reason to have the communication caption in the first place if it only serves to add 10 points to the same GE number right above it.

across the board...in every show so far this year....corps for corps down the sheet....all that's happened is the GE judge puts the same number down for communication....giving the two GE judges 50 points on the sheet (25 each).

is it a different criteria or isnt it?

and you can say what communication is NOT...but try explaining what it is. And it MIGHT BE more than throwing babies and so forth, but its hard to argue that if babies are thrown there was some kind of communication going on!

As it stands, DCA hasnt quite explained it. And the "extra judge" for that 10 points on the sheet costs money...so, for now, its a 10 point throw in....a progressive idea poorly executed at this point if ALL it is or is going to be is GE times 2.5.

Re the other idea: An AGGREGATE of an audience text vote (again, a progressive idea) means that, statistically, the 'right' number, regardless of biases would come out so long as there was an appropriate number of inputs. Then again, its POSSIBLE that there might be some "home cooking". To that I say....OH WELL. It isnt LIFE OR DEATH!

The home corps nudged out the big dogs by 0.3 thanks to the audience vote and got to do an encore. Is that the worst thing happening in the world? The REGIONALS and CHAMPIONSHIPS will sort al that out. For now...can we have a little fun with it?

(and not every idea is a GOOD idea....that's why we debate them:)

sigh.

there is so much more to communicating than the crowd jumping up and down and throwing babies on the field.

Why do I get the feeling I'll be explaining this until i die

Edited by wishbonecav

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but 1976 Bridgemen sure did change things up a bit! Bayonne was the first corps to pretty much thumb their collective noses at the establishment, paving the way for corps such as the Velvet Knights, Impulse and Jersey Surf. Many, MANY folks decried the Bananas ("That's NOT Drum Corps") but they certainly made a statement.

And I would have posted somethin' somethin' about Suncoast, but Randy took care of that already (as I knew he would!)

You know I got your back. :cool:

George Zingali's famous Z-pull by the 1983's Garfield Cadets deserves to be included, but many list the 1980 27th Lancers as groundbreaking, calling it George Zingali's first masterpiece, though some who marched with 27th will point to its 1979 predecessor as the one that changed drum corps.

George Zingali created enough masterpieces to fill a gallery. Is there a compilation of his greatest moments out there?

• Like 1

Actually, there were two other theme shows in 1971: Scouts "Alice" show (w/ costumes) and Garfield Cadets Revolutionary War theme. Interestingly, the use of costumes and gags on the field by the '71 Scouts and Cavaliers anticipated the costumed shows of the Bridgemen a few years later.

I stand corrected, Dan. Thanks for reminder. Loved those shows as well!